Seasonal graphic change status?

Got an idea for a new feature in TTDPatch? Post it here.

Moderator: TTDPatch Moderators

krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Seasonal graphic change status?

Post by krtaylor »

I know this is an old suggestion, to wit - Adding Patch functionality so that the appearance of trees and farm-fields can sensibly change with the seasons. It's not in the to-do list (which is kind of obsolete itself.) The reason I ask is, I vaguely recall hearing that this was accomplished, but I cannot find for sure whether it is or not in latest alphas. The Japanset is back into a fit of progress again, and it would be nice for the trees to use this feature, if it exists. If not, I understand, just asking.
Development Projects Site:
http://www.as-st.com/ttd
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

I believe George implemented seasons into his ECS grf's and there might be something in the Canadian Set.
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

With his industries, yes. But not with trees in general. That doesn't exist.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Does it exist only with industries, or with buildings in general?
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
minime
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by minime »

It would be possible in anything that can have graphics determined by a varaction 2. Houses, stations and industry tiles come to mind as current features where it would make sense.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. --Albert Einstein
Image Image Image
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

krtaylor wrote:Does it exist only with industries, or with buildings in general?
I think the flowerbeds in Michael's Newstations use it too, but I could be mistaken.
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

The question would be a whole lot easier to answer if krtaylor would be more specific than just "buildings".
Stations? If so, what type? Rail? Road? Docks? Airports?
Bridges?
Houses?
Industries? (well, properly "Industry tiles", but this is unambiguous.)
Objects? (eg lighthouses, transmitter towers)
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
m3henry
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by m3henry »

krtaylor wrote:...in general?
dictionary wrote:Something far ranging covering a variety of topics or answers (i.e. "a general response").
The occasional look back at your past can teach you a great many things...
Dave

Post by Dave »

Clever posts like that are unwelcomed in a setting where the need for some decorum and sense is required.

I'm sure a response from the one Michael Blunck would clear things up about this issue.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

Well, as Dan´s answer already suggests, varaction2s depending on game dates are in existance for vehicles, train stations, houses and industry tiles only.

regards
Michael
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Time for me to jump into this fray and lend some focus to a very valid bit of discussion surrounding an equally valid suggestion.

Through the efforts of various coders, artists and devs it has been demonstrated that a snowline that shifts with the seasons is indeed possible. It has been shown that objects such as buildings, industries, ground tiles and roads (? to this last one) can reflect these seasonal changes. It would seem that the remaining piece of the puzzle to be adapted are the trees. Here are some points to consider and discuss:

1. Trees are able to vary over time. TTDX provides for a growth cycle. We are able to see the trees pop up on a tile (randomly?), mature and die with the tile eventually returning to its original barren nature.
2. Can a patch be developed that would set this cycle to a seasonal one?
3. Could a seasonal cycle be patched in while preserving the growth cycle?
4. Assuming 2 or 3 are possible, is there an artist willing to draw the seasonal variations for each of the trees for each stage of the growth cycle?
5. Who's going to code the thing?

I would really like to see this happen. It would add some very interesting visuals, and perhaps even some challenges. Imagine trying to visualize that ideal routing for your track while the scenery is changing before your eyes.
Gurluas2000
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Gurluas2000 »

same thing goes for farms...
George
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by George »

wallyweb wrote:I would really like to see this happen. It would add some very interesting visuals, and perhaps even some challenges. Imagine trying to visualize that ideal routing for your track while the scenery is changing before your eyes.
Nobody drew new snowed trees yet. Less luckily, that anyone will draw 4 seasons :oops:
Last edited by George on 01 Apr 2007 18:56, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image Image Image
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Actually, the Japanese trees were designed for four seasons. (Snowy, no.)

Return to “Suggestions”