Variable Train Running Costs

Got an idea for a new feature in TTDPatch? Post it here.

Moderator: TTDPatch Moderators

Pookey
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Variable Train Running Costs

Post by Pookey »

Is it possible to have variable train running costs so that when a train is loading it has a very low running cost, when it accelerates it becomes very high and levels out when it stops accelerating (and gets cheaper when a train decelerates). As trains slow down on hills and speed up going down a hill, would it also be possible to have the running costs change dependent on whether the track is flat, a descent or an ascent? I am guessing it may be impossible as trains technically don't know what's in front of them (so they can't adjust running costs accordingly)?
Posted by Pookey...

For Information on TTD Patch Click Here
For Information on Building a Network (FAST) Click Here
For Information on Building a Network as a Challenge (SLOW) Click Here
For Help on the Different Signalling Types Click Here
Before Asking a Question, Please use the Forums Search Function Here and if you do Ask a Question, Please Provide as much Detail as Possible.
If you do not get a Crash Log when TTDPatch Crashes, Follow the Olly Debug Instructions Here and Post the Resulting Screenshot with your Problem.

Lakie
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by Lakie »

Variable running costs for trains is a part of Callback 36 now, using var 10 as 0D. Since the cost is recalculated on the fly, the changes should be immediate.
However that is only part of what you are asking for, I do not know if the other part is currently possible with the current Action2 variables.

[Please Note that you would have to set the 'variablerunningcosts' switch to on to use it]

Hope that helps a little,
~ Lakie
TTDpatch Developer 2005 - 2010 ~ It all started because of shortened vehicle not loading correctly, now look where I've gone with it!
Grfs coded ~ Finnish Train Set (Teaser) | Bm73 (Release 3) | Emu 680 (Release 3)| Glass Station (Release 1) | UK Roadset (Version 1.1a) | New Water Coasts (Version 7)
Pikka: "Lakie's a good coder, but before he'll add any feature to TTDP you have to convince him that you're not going to use it to destroy the world as we know it."
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Re: Variable Train Running Costs

Post by PikkaBird »

You can't base the costs on the slope, but you can take it back a step and simply vary it based on how fast the train is going: ie, a train powering slowly up a hill costs more than one coasting down it at full speed. I've done this with a test grf and it works quite nicely.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Will be in the UKRS one day then?
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
SkeedR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SkeedR »

Do not quote me. But. I believe Pikka is working on it as i type, ish, so i hope so! Certainly know Lakie and Pikka were discussing it in Pikka's UKRS thread.

[EDIT] I was wrong, but, they certainly were talking about it on IRC!

Which is another reason to go to #tycoon on irc.quakenet.org!
Last known as: Weirdy
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

Is it possible to have variable train running costs so that when a train is loading it has a very low running cost, when it accelerates it becomes very high and levels out when it stops accelerating (and gets cheaper when a train decelerates). As trains slow down on hills and speed up going down a hill, would it also be possible to have the running costs change dependent on whether the track is flat, a descent or an ascent? [...]
According to Lakie, it´s part of CB36 now, but why should running cost be different depending on the loading state or on speed?

At least in reality this isn´t the case.

O/c, during loading stage, a train´s engine wouldn´t consume as much fuel as when travelling full speed, but this is negligible in the long run.

Main factors in running costs for trains are staff and maintenance costs. I.e., whether a train is loading, stopped or running, staff cost would be the same and maintenance is done on a fixed schedule, e.g. all 10000 kms, so IMO this idea is just nitpicking.

Topographical and timing effects are already counted for by different travelling times and thus reducing the ranking.

regards
Michael

Return to “Suggestions”