How do YOU start?

General talk about Transport Tycoon that isn't specific to TTD, TTDPatch or OpenTTD.

How do YOU start a new game on Transport Tycoon (All versons accepted)?

Passenger Rail
18%
Cargo Rail
63%
Bus System (City) or Trams
7%
Bus System (Regional)
3%
Trucks
1%
Planes, gimme planes!
4%
Row, row, row my boat...
4%

Total votes: 272

DonRazzi
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

How do YOU start?

Post by DonRazzi »

Hi everybody!

There's one question I ask myself since I've started playing TT in the mid nineties.

What is the best way to start a game?

I have tried around a lot and think it's the best way to start with a passenger rail at the beginning. Ships with coal also work very good as it's not neccessary to build any track to expand. But I don't know wether I found the best way to start till today. So how are your experiences?
CMircea
Chairman
Chairman

Post by CMircea »

Coal! Coal on long distance! After you invest 500k you'll earn lots if you design a good network.
BBoy Symm
Engineer
Engineer

Post by BBoy Symm »

I start with looking for farms that sorta surround a factory. And connect them. Once made me millionair in 2 years. :D
Pookey
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Pookey »

Coal is your best bet as even if it's production drops, there's still heaps of other coal mines, it's selling price at the beginning of the graph is above average and it loses hardly any value even if it takes you ages to transport, thereby assuring you of a steady income. Passengers is good if you connect up only big towns to start with. ie. town A has 780, town B has 60 and Town C has 900. you would connect from A to C as B would be a waste of money in the early days (but connect it up later of course :) )
Posted by Pookey...

For Information on TTD Patch Click Here
For Information on Building a Network (FAST) Click Here
For Information on Building a Network as a Challenge (SLOW) Click Here
For Help on the Different Signalling Types Click Here
Before Asking a Question, Please use the Forums Search Function Here and if you do Ask a Question, Please Provide as much Detail as Possible.
If you do not get a Crash Log when TTDPatch Crashes, Follow the Olly Debug Instructions Here and Post the Resulting Screenshot with your Problem.

DonRazzi
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by DonRazzi »

If starting with passenger lines, you never should connect cities with population less than 600-700, as larger, as better. Then you also will recognise the fact, why I think starting with passenger lines is better: Sure, a single coal train earns more money than a slow and small passenger train in the beginning, but on a passenger route you'll start your second and third train in no time - without building a new line.
Two5Kid
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Two5Kid »

Coal mines might be the best bet to reach millionaire status and pay back all your loans, but the real money comes with Passenger/Mail services.

You could always start of with a couple of buses, buy the surrounding land near the bus stations, once passenger travel exceeds the bus capacity, switch to locomotives, voila! Instant cash cow!
Any dream worth having,
Is a dream worth fighting for!
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

Two5Kid wrote:You could always start of with a couple of buses, buy the surrounding land near the bus stations, once passenger travel exceeds the bus capacity, switch to locomotives, voila! Instant cash cow!
But that's hardly a strategy to start with. As you say yourself, you have to "develop" the cities by busses first. Coal and oil trains however can be exploited right from the start.
aahz77
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by aahz77 »

I start with cargo rail, as I usually begin the game without any industries. This makes the game much more interesting and challenging; you have to connect to the existing network when a new industry pops up - and that creates much realism, too!

But before I changed to realistic building, I always connected every coal mine on the map to the power plants (first 10-15 years). After that, I connected all other industries to make even more money (another two decades) to finally create a px/mail network with very fast trains between the biggest cities in the second half of the 20th century. But then I often got bored by the end of the century (having nearly everything connected) and started a new game quite soon; with the no-industry method I often play up to 2030 and sometimes even longer, improving the existing network more often than expanding it!
One after one, by the star-dogged Moon,
Too quick for groan or sigh,
Each turned his face with a ghastly pang,
And cursed me with his eye.

-- Samuel T. Coleridge, The Rime of the Ancient Mariner
Samwise
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Samwise »

Coal for the world! :P But I figured out that you have to build a bus service in each city where they know you, just to keep the local authoriy happy :) (Thanks to Raichase, who used that trick in his screenshots-thread)
DonRazzi
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by DonRazzi »

@all the miners: Never forget that a passenger service will make money both ways - if a city has grown enough to fill your train each visit with no waiting, a passenger train is almost driving, while most coal-trains have to wait at a station...
Dave

Post by Dave »

Both. One coal one passenger service. Then it builds up and builds up.

I keep my networks separate for as long as possible, but if the opportunity to use existing metals arises I go for it.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
Crazybar
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Crazybar »

I will set up a long distance plane service, and with the remainder of cash I will be able to get a good bus route and train route...
Normally at the start I like to get the annoying debts away and then it's all MINE! :twisted:
GooGooDoll
Engineer
Engineer

Post by GooGooDoll »

I always start with a couple of coal trains over long distances to build up a bit of cash, with a few bus routes between towns and cities as well to make the towns grow, then I'll start on the passenger and mail services, with a couple of airports thrown in for good measure. This strategy has always worked for me over the many years I've played this game, both TTO and TTD.
KevinR
Engineer
Engineer

Post by KevinR »

I usually start with coal. Nice and simple, no need to get goods or iron ore going from the desination. Then usually move onto farms, iron ore mines etc, with passenger trains being the last thing I start. Basically I get my rail network up and runnig then look at road transport, and possibly air transport.
Herr Bert
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Herr Bert »

I force myself to start with passenger rail.

I use DBset and always play with these own settings:
- few cities (8 or so)
- no industries at all
- low credit (800.000 DM max credit)
- hilly landscape

Starting in 1921 no bus/plane/ship is available. I concentrate the first 10 years to build up a decent passenger network. As soon as this is finished and needs only expansion from time to time usually some matching industries exist to start several industry networks.

Mostly I spend some money into industry foundation to get all my goods/food produced in a single place. I simply love to spend hours and hours and hours in optimizing my food/goods network to handle a huge amount of heavy loaded trains. Besides a "cht:tracks 1" in the early 40s I do not cheat at all.

Yes. this is how I start since a couple of years ...
Jezulkim
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Jezulkim »

Herr Bert wrote:Besides a "cht:tracks 1" in the early 40s I do not cheat at all.
If you have enabled the "cheats cost" you'll have to pay so then it's not really cheating. :)
In order to protect the visitors of this site,
TTO Full Conversion!
This post has been lol 1337 times.
Herr Bert
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Herr Bert »

Of course I pay for this one. Ususally 1-2 mio DM ;)

Count me a stupido but I do not want to get any presents. I even do a "real ground digging". The ground i dig does not disappear. As soon as I remove somewhere some ground I add it elsewhere next to it and vice versa: if I need some somewhere I'll get it from the next hill.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Herr Bert wrote:Of course I pay for this one. Ususally 1-2 mio DM ;)

Count me a stupido but I do not want to get any presents. I even do a "real ground digging". The ground i dig does not disappear. As soon as I remove somewhere some ground I add it elsewhere next to it and vice versa: if I need some somewhere I'll get it from the next hill.
Bloody hell... That's realism in the extreme :P
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
m3henry
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by m3henry »

Dave Worley wrote:
Herr Bert wrote:Of course I pay for this one. Ususally 1-2 mio DM ;)

Bloody hell... That's realism in the extreme :P
lol, thats a feature that I thought about once but regarded as impossible (to dump/take from the right places)
The occasional look back at your past can teach you a great many things...
DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DanMacK »

I'll normally find 2 towns that can be connected via passenger service and an industry close by. For some reason, my Train No. 1 almost always is a passenger train. I love using coal as a starter, but most bulk cargo works well.

Return to “General Transport Tycoon”