Minutes from a recent C.C.A. meeting

Got an idea for a new feature in TTDPatch? Post it here.

Moderator: TTDPatch Moderators

HaroldV
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Minutes from a recent C.C.A. meeting

Post by HaroldV »

HaroldV: Hello, everybody. This is my first time here. My name is HaroldV ...

Assembled throng: Hi HaroldV. Welcome!

... and I am a clumsy clicker.

Whoa buddy. It's alright. We're here for yah.

It's been many months since my last clumsy clicking disaster, but I know this is a disease I'll be fighting all my life. I'm here tonight, not just to make public my disability, but to bring to your attention a proposal that may impact on the lives of clumsy clickers throughout the TTDP community.

Huh?

I'd like to bring to your notice this proposed legislative change from the agenda of the powers that be:
--- make remove industry apply only for dynamite, instead of requiring Ctrl key
Now, I don't know how the wider public perceives this proposed change, but I feel that for myself and all you good folks here tonight, this is something that is just going to make it all the more likely we're gonna fall off the wagon, and sooner rather than later.

Hmmm ... kid might have a point there. :?

Well, I don't know quite where we go from here. I'm sure those fortunate enough not to suffer our affliction could see this proposal as a good thing. Strong opposition could end up marginalising our faction further. Any ideas from the floor?

CouchPotayto: Y'know, the powers that be are usually pretty good at realising that "one size doesn't fit all". That's why they provide that cfg thingie. Whaddaya reckon we ask if the change is accompanied by a misc.mods switch? By default, ctrl-clicking is no longer necessary to remove industries. But for us fat-fingered oafs, there's a misc.mods switch that keeps things as is? Is that possible?

Chairman666: Well, the ways of the powers that be are strange and mysterious. Things that may seem straightforward enough to us are considered impossible, whereas the most sophisticated and miraculous notions are made concrete reality before we realise they were even under development. Still, at the very least, we could ask for a misc.mods setting. Thanks for bringing this up HaroldV. See you all at the next meeting. ... And keep your clicking clean, eveyone!
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

The appropriate bit probably belongs in morebuildoptions, not miscmods; miscmods is quickly running out of bits, and it's really a morebuildoptions feature anyway,

/me wonders how hard it would be to widen miscmods to a uint64 switch.

/me wonders how to properly punish himself for being unceasingly curious.

Obviously, breaking TTDPatch on a regular basis just isn't sufficient disincentive for me.

/me wonders what TTDXC and TTDPC would do with a uint64 switch.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
AndersI
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by AndersI »

DaleStan wrote:/me wonders how hard it would be to widen miscmods to a uint64 switch.
/me wonders what TTDXC and TTDPC would do with a uint64 switch.
TTDPC will not work correctly with uint64 values. A quick look through the source tells me there are a number of 'integer' that needs to be changed, and probably some more (very important!) things that I missed at the quick glance.

May I suggest an additional switch instead? miscmodsEX for example, to follow the guidelines from the little Redmond company :-)

Or perhaps the miscmods can be categorized further - all those where the description begins "Don't ..." could be a 'deactivatemods' switch instead, leaving more room in the miscmods bits (for a while, at least).
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

AndersI wrote:May I suggest an additional switch instead? miscmodsEX for example
That's one option; I was thinking miscmods2 for that route, but the name isn't really significant.
AndersI wrote:perhaps the miscmods can be categorized further - all those where the description begins "Don't ..." could be a 'deactivatemods' switch instead, leaving more room in the miscmods bits (for a while, at least).
Staying backwards compatible with that seems to me like it would be a nightmare for everyone involved.

Ultimately, however, what happens when miscmods acquires its thirty-third bit is Patchman's decision.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser

Return to “Suggestions”