Japan Set Development

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Sanchimaru
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Sanchimaru »

Thanks, everybody!

I followed Patchman's advice and made a trick to make the tunnel look higher than it is. However, I didn't angle the beams.
Let's see how it goes.
I can't test it in a real screenshot, so I have no idea how would it go with the catenary. But I made a file so that someone can code it and make a test file for it.
Attachments
the sprites ready to be coded
the sprites ready to be coded
tunnelscm.png (3.86 KiB) Viewed 7538 times
faked screenshot
faked screenshot
newtunnel.png (12.61 KiB) Viewed 7549 times
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

Right, I'll add those to the pile to be coded with the rest of the landscape .grf.
Currently working under the name 'reldred' on Github, and Discord.
NFO/NML coder, part-time patch writer for JGRPP, and all round belligerent.

14:40 <orudge> I can't say I discriminate against any particular user
14:41 <Aegir> orudge: I can!
Sanchimaru
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Sanchimaru »

However, these are still test sprites, we don't know if they will really look good in a game...
Is there a possibility of a quick-coding work on a test GRF file just for these? ;)
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

*checks the clock*

Indeed there is that possibility. Let me get cracking and see what I can pull off in the next 40ish minutes :D.

prissi
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by prissi »

The problem with the slope of the rice paddies is, the ground sprites must not overlap. I made a terraced version for one season, but the drawing order was really random and it looked even more ugly.

The color of young rice is really very bright; it just looks strange, becuase no seasons are enforced. (I made once a patch for OTTD enforcing seasons and snow, and in phase the fields looked better.) But I admid, that I am not really a skilled artist (but head coder simutrans) and I would really like to see some useful rice paddies.
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

I don't think those are very attractive tunnel portals, or realistic, at all. I think that you could improve the perspective a bit by moving the well in closer to the tracks - it will make the whole thing look proportionately taller.
Development Projects Site:
http://www.as-st.com/ttd
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
Sanchimaru
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Sanchimaru »

yes but, the problem is thaht the must be connected so that rails can go over them. Actually there are a lot of tunnel entrances like that in Japan. Precisely, near where I live there are a lot, since the JR and Hankyu tracks are ellevated, and in certain parts, there is a road under them. Actually the horizontal beams in the frame are painted in a very very bright color and have the heighth indication.
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Yes, when there's something on top of the entrance, the way you've drawn them is quite realistic. I was just hoping there was a way to make them look not quite so odd when there isn't. Perhaps eventually it will be possible for enhanced-tunnels to tell the difference, and swap sprites accordingly.
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
Toni Babelony
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Toni Babelony »

I think a solution to the problem will be to make the entrance not so wide. The entrance of the tunnel looks like the entrance of a bridge, and not of a long tunnel under some massive mountain. (or somn')
Retired JapanSet developer and creator of TIAS.
RSpeed tycoonfreak
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by RSpeed tycoonfreak »

maybe a stupid question but i is a long time ago since i was on the forums but why are the japan set buildings not working with open ttd?
I use r5722 MiniIn.
Every townset I used so far did work with openttd : ttrs v1, ttrs v2, ttrs v3 beta and Urban Renew [beta 2].

EXEPT japan set buildings.
:?
Visit The Fake Airport Website
Hobbys: being 18 years old, soccer, go karting, and transport tycoon.
lifeblood
President
President

Post by lifeblood »

... because they're made for TTD Patch? :wink:
Train-a-Mania
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Train-a-Mania »

The enterance of the tunnel does look wide.

Have you seen the tunnels on the Hisatsu line in MSTS? Those are a bit more round. You could also look at the Tokyo commuter line.
Nick - Creator of the virtual railroading review series:

Villem
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Villem »

Their wide so the tracks can go above them on the trackbed, and Sanchimaru himself said he saw tunnels like that in Japan, and i think they look fine myself.
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

The Japanset buildings are scheduled for a complete recoding anyway. Maybe they'll work with OTTD next time round.
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

No, they will not work next round. Not until OpenTTD implements the NewHouses feature properly. Which it still shows no indication of doing within the timeframe I will be working on recoding the .grf.

Anyways, heres the tunnel, I really like how they've come out. Now we just have to change the grass over to match the rest of the Japanset landscape. If you're ready to give the go-ahead, Sanchimaru, I will change the grass over (Quick easy edit) and add them to the Japanset landscape.

Theres a few clipping issues with the tunnel, but I'm inclined to think that they are related to the enhancedtunnels feature rather than the graphics. Still, the clipping isn't anywhere near as bad as, for instance, bridges. So it's not all bad.
Attachments
jpset_tunnelw.GRF
(6.15 KiB) Downloaded 413 times

Sanchimaru
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Sanchimaru »

I just tested them, and they looked quite fine!
As for what it concerns to me, you can proceed with them. What do the others think?
uzurpator
Transport Empire Moderator
Transport Empire Moderator

Post by uzurpator »

Out of sheer curiosity - is it set aimed at replacement of toyland? IT sure looks like a strong contender for that.
All art and vehicle stats I authored for TT and derivatives are as of now PUBLIC DOMAIN! Use as you see fit
Just say NO to the TT fan-art sprite licensing madness. Public domain your art as well.
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

Well, that's more something that I have to worry about, but yes, I suppose we are getting nearer to the point where we will have enough material to replace Toyland entirely. All the patch-code is there to support it now, we can change strings, sounds, and code our own industry chains as we want. I don't see any reason why we cannot replace Toyland.

Perhaps I will look into it at a later date, it would be a rather collosal coding project to replace the entirity of Toyland.

Sanchimaru: Good to hear, I will get to work on that soon.

Toni Babelony
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Toni Babelony »

The tunnels look fine to me too *adjusts opinion on them. I don't think they need more work. They look really good in a cityscape and double-track lines!

Anyway. I think I'm not gonna animate steam engines or something. But, methinks the industries need attention! I'll start with a Japanese factory soon. They don't look really different from other factories in the world, but are definately different from the original TTD ones!
Retired JapanSet developer and creator of TIAS.
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

I look forward to seeing what you can produce, Tony, Good to finally get some new-blood into the Japan-set!

Return to “Graphics Development”