Textures, and materials

Archived discussions related to Transport Empire. Read-only access only.

Moderator: Transport Empire Moderators

Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Textures, and materials

Post by Zuu »

Wouln't it be usefull to have a set of textures that are included with TEmpire, that can be used by all models. I can see 3 good things with that:
  • A uniform and consistent look. (not 100 diffrent sorts of grass)
  • Save disk space
  • Save video ram
I think it would be nice if we had a pack with materials ready for use with blender, becuse eaven if everybody use the sam grass texture the result will differ becuse everyne have used different material settings.

Now, these textures have to be made, and materials have to be composed. I suggest tat they have to be done by someone with good skills in texturing, so that the overall look kan be kept in mind so that we get a nice uniform look.
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

http://www.grsites.com has a lot of textures...

don't know about the copyright tho
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Rylix
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Rylix »

Blender is a texture randomizer for making the floor no so repetetive, am i correct?

If so, the artist would need to make sure they matched at each side to make it look more fluent
Arathorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Arathorn »

For the Dutch set I'm making, I try to use the same material settings for every model. But it's an artists' call (like with the TTD sets). Some things like a grass texture could and should be the same everywhere, and I think I could make them.
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

Rylix wrote:Blender is a texture randomizer for making the floor no so repetetive, am i correct?

If so, the artist would need to make sure they matched at each side to make it look more fluent
I don't get exactly what you mean, but I am that verry experiensed with blender, altroght I have done some models.
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)
benji147460127
Engineer
Engineer

Post by benji147460127 »

Blender might have a texture randomiser, but Blender is a full-blown GPL 3d modeler.
~Ben

Microsoft Visual Bios (C) 1984
Where will Bill have you dragged today?
Press CTRL-ALT-F1-END-ESC-INS for Visual Cmos setup.

Return to “Transport Empire Development Archive”