Graphics without .nfo files [needs coders!]

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Szappy
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Szappy »

That one Space character caused TTdpatch to say it didn't even exist. :shock:
after renaming it, it worked, so I suppose it wasn't that bad, although not everyone would have seen that error.
OK, thanks, I didn't realise it was a space in the filename that you were talking about. My mistake. BTW I'm pretty sur I didn't add that space, my version was only named "TGV" when I sent it.
however I didn't like having it limitted to one train. (was that done by you or someone else?)
Yes, it was done on purpose. the TGV Atlantique is made of 10 cars, so I decided to do it that way.
Now that you mention, at first I made it so that it could be _only_ 10 cars length, but then I thought it would be too much limitation, so only the top limit remained.
BTW can two TVG consists coupled together? If yes, then I'll make it that you can attach a second consist after the first, so you'll get a max length of 20.
The missing readme didn't give a good impression ether, kinda let it down. although I understand you not wantting to write a readme. (as I also hate writing them.)
Yup, you're right, but I only volunteered for the coding work, I thought Bernhard, or Purno will write the readme for it.
Also a few little things that got me ingame... just little qurks, nothing special.
Anything particular, that I can correct?
I'm planning to update it in the near future, and will include the DOS version too.

Thanks for your answer, and no offence taken.
Szappy
Image please use email instead of PM
Yellow Cab
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Yellow Cab »

Szappy wrote:BTW can two TVG consists coupled together? If yes, then I'll make it that you can attach a second consist after the first, so you'll get a max length of 20.
Yes. That's possible, but it would be a long end of a train, and I don't think it's very useful on the pretty crowded maps of TTdL. Anyhow, it's possible.

Yellow Cab
Can someone bring me a new pixel? This one 's dead.
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

IMO it doesn't care if the TGV is somewhat long, then it has some disadvantages, we don't want the TGV to be perfect, do we? :wink:
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Yellow Cab
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Yellow Cab »

Of course it's no problem if the TGV is that long, but I wonder what's the use of it. By the way, I think the ability of such long TGV's adds realism to TTdL, but in fact it doesn't really 'fit' in the game.

Yellow Cab
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

You mean there aren't enough passengers to transport?
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Yellow Cab
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Yellow Cab »

That's one reason: lack of passengers, but that can easily be fixed by using this train only in metropole areas, on big stations. But the second point is: the train is só long, that the first cars enter the next station, while the end has just left the last stop. I know that there's no real solution for this problem ("If you want bigger maps, you should switch to Open TTD"), but therefore I think a coupled TGV is somewhat too long for the Patch. I guess it would bring us into weird situations:

"Ladies and Gentlemen, welcome aboard of TGV 1234. This train will stop at Paris Gare du Nord, Orleans, Clermont Ferrant and our last stop is Marseille. Please assure that you're in the first cars if you want to exit at the next station, because the tail of this train will still be in the last stop. We wish you a pleasant journey. Next stop: Paris Gare du Nord in five minutes. You'd better start walking..!"

:D

Yellow Cab
Szappy
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Szappy »

Hey!
I'm not talking about limiting the TGV to length of 20, I'm talking about raising the upper limit from 10 to 20.
You'll still be able to have a 10 car TGV, only if 10 is not enough, you can couple another after it.
Szappy
Bernhard
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Bernhard »

what do you think about this: Starting build the TGV with an engine, adding 9 wagons as it would be in the original(last wagon is changed to Engine 2 by Action2).
Adding further wagons is comented by blinking STOP (or something else) only in the build-Window, but if the Train leaves the Depot it looks ok. That means, every user can see in the Depot (Train-Built-Window) what is original, what is not. And can build the train as long as he wants.
Szappy
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Szappy »

I think it would look weird, as you'd see it that way whenever it enters a depot.
Otherwise, I'm not totally sure the Patch can distinguish between wagons in the depot, and ones on the run...
Bernhard
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Bernhard »

it is possible to give different sprites in the depot and outside.
And i don't mean that you see the sign when the trains enters the depot, only in the Depot-window..............
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Can't we make it possible to make all lengths, and when the train becomes too long, it seperates in two units?

6-5
6-6
7-6
7-7
8-7
8-8
9-8
9-9
10-9
10-10

?
Image Image
Szappy
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Szappy »

hm... that would require quite some coding, but it might be possible...
I'm researching it...
Interesting idea BTW
Last edited by Szappy on 09 Nov 2004 12:28, edited 1 time in total.
Yellow Cab
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Yellow Cab »

That's the way MB deals with this problem, isn't it? I think it's quite a good way to fix it, but I think the range should start at 5, not at 1. Because you always have two motorcars and two eh... 'cars-behind-the-motorcar' and you need at least one normal passenger carriage. Again it's difficult to explain without any sufficient pictures, but you'll have to do with it.

Yellow Cab
Szappy
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Szappy »

MB used the way the TGV is coded now, that is counting the wagons from the front.
However I need a different approach, to determine the 'center' cars, whose place varies according to the total train length.
Can you come up with a function for that?
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

You'd probably have to do a VarAction2 on train length, linked to VarAction2s on position in train.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
Szappy
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Szappy »

Purno wrote:Can't we make it possible to make all lengths, and when the train becomes too long, it seperates in two units?
Like this :twisted:

But don't publish this yet, I'll improve it a bit more...

(YAY, gl2 is the fastest coder ever...)
Attachments
tgv.zip
(5.45 KiB) Downloaded 811 times
Warspite
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Warspite »

is there any news on the duplex??

Purno - how many of the trains are actually usable atm (and not in unreleased set)?
---------------------------
Warspite
Aspiring Poet
Bernhard
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Bernhard »

Szappy wrote:
(YAY, gl2 is the fastest coder ever...)
when will we able to use it???

btw:
does anybody know how to code this.............

the last wagon in the train gets sprite3 ??

i've read something about that, that it is possible, but i don't know where it was........perhaps in the wiki
Szappy
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Szappy »

You can use it already, I just want to make it a bit nicer.
It's working according to Purno's wish, I'd like to add something to is though, and improve the placement, when it reaches 20+ cars.
Bernhard
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Bernhard »

i meant 'gl2' isn't that your coding-program??

Return to “Graphics Development”