Purno's New Bridge Graphics

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Szappy
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Szappy »

-Updated 2006.05.08.-

be sure to have newbridges=on in your ttdpatch.cfg

Currently you can use the following parameters:
1. parameter roadset
0 default roads
1 Andrex roadset ('TrafficSet')
2 EuroRoadset
3 US Roadset

2. parameter Oskar's bridge
0 default tubular bridges
1 use with Oskar's bridge, so it does not touch the tubular
you still need Oskar's grf file, this one does NOT include it.

Be careful though, because Oskar did not support other roadsets, so his bridge will not align with any other roadset.
Also you should place any roadset, and Oskar's bridge before this, in the newgrfw.cfg
And of course do not turn on Oskar's bridge with the 2nd parameter set to 0, or you'll get strange results.
Attachments
newbridges.zip
(198.04 KiB) Downloaded 21105 times
Last edited by Szappy on 08 May 2006 19:12, edited 5 times in total.
Image please use email instead of PM
Engineer
Engineer

Post by AvAtAr »

Szappy (or somebody else)

could you give me(us) a ling where we could find Oskar's bridges and the roadset?

thx
THERE IS NO COMPETITION BECAUSE WE ARE THE BEST
Snail
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Snail »

Pardon my ignorance... what do you mean by "2 will be euroroadset"?
I thought parameters only accepted 0 or 1 values (False or True)... does your first parameter accept three values instead? (0, 1 or 2)?
Szappy
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Szappy »

AvAtAr wrote:could you give me(us) a ling where we could find Oskar's bridges and the roadset?
Oskar has a site, you know, and the Trafficset (among other very nice things) can be found at TTD Urban Renawal site.
Snail wrote:Pardon my ignorance... what do you mean by "2 will be euroroadset"?
I thought parameters only accepted 0 or 1 values (False or True)... does your first parameter accept three values instead? (0, 1 or 2)?
You're wrong, parameters can accept any value. And yes, the first parameter will accept 3 values, and maybe more, if new roadsets come out.
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

Take a look ate the DBset for example, you can add various combinations of parameters to get a desired effect.
Snail
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Snail »

Hyronymus wrote:Take a look ate the DBset for example, you can add various combinations of parameters to get a desired effect.
That's true.
But in the DB set each parameter is expressed as a power of 2, and the result will be a number which is the sum of all the "active" parameters... like, 1 for the railway gates, 2 for the tankers livery, 4 for the stake wagon behavior etc.

in that case, there will be only one final number which contains all of the parametes' info... like a Binary system, so for instance, value 6 will mean random tanker livery + random stake wagons

At least that's how I thought parameters worked!
Jezulkim
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Jezulkim »

Doesn't newbridges support new bridges?
In order to protect the visitors of this site,
TTO Full Conversion!
This post has been lol 1337 times.
Szappy
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Szappy »

That's true.
But in the DB set each parameter is expressed as a power of 2, and the result will be a number which is the sum of all the "active" parameters... like, 1 for the railway gates, 2 for the tankers livery, 4 for the stake wagon behavior etc.

in that case, there will be only one final number which contains all of the parametes' info... like a Binary system, so for instance, value 6 will mean random tanker livery + random stake wagons

At least that's how I thought parameters worked!
It can work that way too, and I could have coded it like that, but:
-I wanted different sets to be exclusive to each other, and that method does not allow this.
-it's more difficult to program, using bit-shifting, and bit-masking. It looked easier this way.
Yes. So... :?:

BTW this is way offtopic. May I get some feedback for the bridges too?
Eddy
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Eddy »

Szappy wrote:OK here it is. Go ahead and test it.
How can I test it. When I want to download it then some weird characters appear. I tried to make them a .grf but it didn't work. So how can I get it to work ?
Check out my fresh new site
-It's about TT-
Szappy
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Szappy »

Eddy wrote:How can I test it. When I want to download it then some weird characters appear. I tried to make them a .grf but it didn't work. So how can I get it to work ?
Just right click on "Download", and select "Save Target As..."
Jezulkim
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Jezulkim »

Szappy wrote:
Yes. So... :?:
These bridges aren't add-ons these are replacements.
TTO Full Conversion!
Szappy
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Szappy »

Jezulkim wrote:These bridges aren't add-ons these are replacements.
Oh NOW I understand what you meant.
So, no you cannot add new bridges to the list, you can only replace existin ones. But you can do so on a per bridge basis, without any sprite sharing.
That's 44 bridges possible in total, which should be more than enough. The reason I haven't done that, is because there aren't enough usable sprites in 'trg1r.grf'.
I don't have a clue where you got the idea, that you can add new bridges, none of the new patch features work like that, you can only overwrite existing ID's.
(the 'newstations', and 'newhouses' work in another way, no IDs there, so that's not an example for the opposite)
Colonel32
President
President

Post by Colonel32 »

Are there any more bridge slots left, or were they all taken alredy?
Jezulkim
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Jezulkim »

I just thought that if you can have new stations and new buildings then you can have new bridges...
TTO Full Conversion!
Szappy
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Szappy »

Colonel32 wrote:Are there any more bridge slots left, or were they all taken alredy?
Well... Purno drew "only" 15 bridges, so in theory, there are new slots, alhough I've nearly ran out of sprites in trg1r.grf.
As long as someone writes action 1,2,3 support for it, there can (maybe) one more bridge added, and the suspension, and the cantilever replaced (those sprites are from the original now).

BTW you can download, and see for yourself. I might get some feedback that way too... :? hint...
lobster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lobster »

Szappy wrote:OK here it is. Go ahead and test it.
*cough* DOS VERSION! *cough*
"Your mother was a lobster, and your father... was also a lobster" -- The rascal formerly known as astath -- Last.fm -- Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club

<orudge> make love to me while I surf, dear lobster
Colonel32
President
President

Post by Colonel32 »

Szappy wrote:
Colonel32 wrote:Are there any more bridge slots left, or were they all taken alredy?
Well... Purno drew "only" 15 bridges, so in theory, there are new slots, alhough I've nearly ran out of sprites in trg1r.grf.
As long as someone writes action 1,2,3 support for it, there can (maybe) one more bridge added, and the suspension, and the cantilever replaced (those sprites are from the original now).

BTW you can download, and see for yourself. I might get some feedback that way too... :? hint...
I am asking because there aren't too many bridges which would go over three tiles (ramp - one tile bridge - ramp), but those I use the most often. There is a high-speed one (cca 280Kph) but I just don't like the blue handles around it. But I waas thinking, if it would be possilble to allow some of the nice green cantilievers to be build in this configuration.
cornelius
Director
Director

Post by cornelius »

Szappy wrote:BTW you can download, and see for yourself. I might get some feedback that way too... :? hint...
One of the suspension bridges (the 100mph one, I think), came up with the original yelow suspension bridge graphics when I built it.
Colonel32
President
President

Post by Colonel32 »

but it came with yellow ramps, so maybe it was ment that way
Szappy
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Szappy »

cornelius wrote:One of the suspension bridges (the 100mph one, I think), came up with the original yelow suspension bridge graphics when I built it.
Yes, that is intentional:
-Purno drew only 2 suspension bridges
-I have corrected the pillars for higherbridges earlier, and those got included too
-As I have said "[...] there can (maybe) one more bridge added, and the suspension, and the cantilever replaced (those sprites are from the original now)."
astath wrote:*cough* DOS VERSION! *cough*
I said "It's WIN only, if anyone can point me a good way to convert it to DOS, I'll do it though."
Nevertheless I've made a Dos version too (check in the original post).
Be observant though, because it's likely to contain graphical glitches, and I'd like some feedback on it...
Colonel32 wrote:I am asking because there aren't too many bridges which would go over three tiles (ramp - one tile bridge - ramp), but those I use the most often. There is a high-speed one (cca 280Kph) but I just don't like the blue handles around it. But I waas thinking, if it would be possilble to allow some of the nice green cantilievers to be build in this configuration.
The problem is that the (green) cantilever is built up from 3 pieces, a start, a middle piece, and an endpiece. So the absolute minimum length would be 2(+ramps) for those bridges otherwise it will look very ugly (only the start piece will be built for a one-length bridge)... sorry

Return to “Graphics Development”