5000 train game

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Zhall
Tycoon
Tycoon

5000 train game

Post by Zhall »

Is there any save games with 5000 trains in them? Perhaps Openttd co-op has a few? I want to see how bad it lags.
Vinnie_nl
Engineer
Engineer

Re: 5000 train game

Post by Vinnie_nl »

Join pro-zone, we are close. 4.500 trains. still work in progress though
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

Would a Quad Core Phenom II x4 965 (3.4GHz), 16GB RAM, and a 1280MB Nvidia GTX 570 handle 5000 trains?
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
V453000 :)
President
President

Post by V453000 :) »

only one way to find out :)

http://irc.openttdcoop.org/?channels=openttdcoop

after you join in then type /join #openttdcoop.pro and you will be given download links and password :P
ImageImageImage
mfb
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by mfb »

Keep in mind that there is a huge difference between a game online and a singleplayer-game.

I can run the current prozone-game in singleplayer without problems, but if the trains are running on the server I cannot do anything and get kicked after ~30 seconds.
thgergo
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by thgergo »

The problem is when you do a singleplayer game, it will only slow down when your cpu cant handle the amount of trains. For example I had a game with 1000+ trains with my old 900Mhz pentium 3. It has almost half speed than intended. When you play on a dedicated server with a good and fast processor, you probably use a slower cpu that simply cant catch the server's computing power, so you will be kicked soon as your computer cant calculate the things up to date.
Also since OTTD is neither multithreaded, neither use your gpu-s, the best computer still a high clocked cpu for OTTD, rather than a slow clocked one with 4,6, or more cores. Your 3th and 4th or more cores will be left unused also your video card has no benefit. But if you have a second core, OTTD uses it for autosaves.
V453000, have you tried that if you limit the calculation power in the server side, will it be playable with 10k or 20k trains, so the clients wont get kicked? Of course the game will be with half, 1/4, speed than regular.
President
President

First off, how would you even distribute those calculations to server?

also, if someone has weak pc, playing on smaller maps is usually better if you use like 5 tile trains on 256x256, 500 trains is already quite a busy network
ImageImageImage
Zhall
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zhall »

Man, those 4500 trains are crazy
joshdempsey
Engineer
Engineer

Post by joshdempsey »

thgergo wrote:The problem is when you do a singleplayer game, it will only slow down when your cpu cant handle the amount of trains. For example I had a game with 1000+ trains with my old 900Mhz pentium 3. It has almost half speed than intended. When you play on a dedicated server with a good and fast processor, you probably use a slower cpu that simply cant catch the server's computing power, so you will be kicked soon as your computer cant calculate the things up to date.
Also since OTTD is neither multithreaded, neither use your gpu-s, the best computer still a high clocked cpu for OTTD, rather than a slow clocked one with 4,6, or more cores. Your 3th and 4th or more cores will be left unused also your video card has no benefit. But if you have a second core, OTTD uses it for autosaves.
V453000, have you tried that if you limit the calculation power in the server side, will it be playable with 10k or 20k trains, so the clients wont get kicked? Of course the game will be with half, 1/4, speed than regular.
I knew OpenTTD isn't the greatest coded game ever, but I didn't think it was this bad. It's no real surprise to me that it doesn't utilise the GPU - the game isn't really graphic intensive after all. But I thought that it would at least scale to a quad core. This basically means that to optimise your PC for this game you have to have an Intel CPU as they have much higher performance per core compared to others - ie AMD.

You mention that the CPU uses the second core for autosaves.. that's can't require that much processing power anyway? Also, does anyone know if there is any plans to increase the scaling of the game... the more complex the game gets, the more people with older PCs will suffer, heck even people with newer PCs will suffer as all the game is run on one core.

I know it can be pretty difficult to implement multi-core usage though, so I don't blame the dev team for not implementing it at all.
Sylf
President
President

Post by Sylf »

The topic of multithread/multi core support has been beaten to death by now. What else is new?
joshdempsey
Engineer
Engineer

Post by joshdempsey »

Sylf wrote:The topic of multithread/multi core support has been beaten to death by now. What else is new?
Well, as a lot of posts are 2009 and less (one is from 2002!) quad core and even octo cores are a lot more prevalent.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

joshdempsey wrote:
Sylf wrote:The topic of multithread/multi core support has been beaten to death by now. What else is new?
Well, as a lot of posts are 2009 and less (one is from 2002!) quad core and even octo cores are a lot more prevalent.
Do you have anything new to add?
joshdempsey
Engineer
Engineer

Post by joshdempsey »

planetmaker wrote:
joshdempsey wrote:
Do you have anything new to add?
No sir.
President
President

ImageImageImage
fortin81
Engineer
Engineer

Post by fortin81 »

Hi,

I just reached 5000 trains, and OpenTTD 13.4 doesn't lag on an M1 MacBook Pro.
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

fortin81 wrote: 10 Feb 2024 16:52 Hi,

I just reached 5000 trains, and OpenTTD 13.4 doesn't lag on an M1 MacBook Pro.
Well you replied to a thread that's over 10 years old, and CPUs have gotten a lot faster in that time, and also the game has received some optimisations. The new Apple chips are particularly good at running large games in OpenTTD, in fact. :)

Return to “General OpenTTD”