Editing vactrain using YAGL

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

invert456
Engineer
Engineer

Editing vactrain using YAGL

Post by invert456 »

Good evening all,

Please advise where to post if this is incorrect.

I am revisiting OpenTTD and want to try to successfully get to the bottom of editing the cargo capacities for freight and passenger carriages. I have reached a point in the game where it is extremely slow when unpaused, I put this down to the amount of vehicles but also down to the length, some trains are 25+ carriages long. It is for this reason that I wish to ‘crack the code’ in order to reduce the trains necessary to try to get some reasonable gamespeed back.

I have gone through the vactrain.grf a number of times and look through all possible values it could read from but after multiple attempts I havent managed to change, I have been able to change power etc so I know my changes are becoming effective. I have tried a wide range of numbers all within game limits but it feels to me that it always defaults back to a value maybe in the source code. With that said it did work through TTD Patch in previous file types so it is possible it just matching up to the correct languages etc.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,
Dan
kamnet

Re: Editing vactrain using YAGL

Post by kamnet »

Changing any values in a NewGRF in the middle of a running game has the potential to break things, and that may be what has happened here. If you're changing the value from the main menu NewGRF Settings screen, it will not effect the values of the NewGRF in an active game, only when starting a new game.

You could use YAGL to make the changes you want, but the NML source code is also available.
https://github.com/EmperorJake/vactrain

Return to “General OpenTTD”