JGR's Patch Pack

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

ino
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Re: JGR's Patch Pack

Post by ino »

Captain Rand wrote: 01 Dec 2021 05:54
Taschi wrote: 29 Nov 2021 12:37
Captain Rand wrote: 29 Nov 2021 12:07 How do I enable these? I can't find them anywhere.
They're in the cheat menu, which is accessed through CTRL + ALT + C.
Ah. In that case the version I'm running (0.33.2) probably predates their inclusion.
Bummer.

Pete.
These cheats were added in 0.41.0 and 0.41.1.

Why are you using nearly 2 years old version anyway? (0.33.2 was released on Feb 21, 2020)
Captain Rand
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Captain Rand »

ino wrote: 01 Dec 2021 05:57 These cheats were added in 0.41.0 and 0.41.1.
Thank you.
ino wrote: 01 Dec 2021 05:57 Why are you using nearly 2 years old version anyway? (0.33.2 was released on Feb 21, 2020)
Because that's about how long I've been playing my current game.

What's the easiest way to upgrade while keeping all my downloaded A.I.s, GRFs and savegames etc?

Pete.
There's nothing like a deadline to hone the concentration.

Good manners cost nothing, but earn respect.

" 'Impossible' is not in our vocabulary." Jack Chrichton, Farscape
Taschi
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Taschi »

Captain Rand wrote: 01 Dec 2021 06:44 Because that's about how long I've been playing my current game.

What's the easiest way to upgrade while keeping all my downloaded A.I.s, GRFs and savegames etc?

Pete.
Just download the new version. The savegames, GRFs et cetera are stored in an entirely different location from the actual game.
Captain Rand
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Captain Rand »

Taschi wrote: 01 Dec 2021 06:49 Just download the new version. The savegames, GRFs et cetera are stored in an entirely different location from the actual game.
Great! That worked!Thanks!
All I had to do was copy the non-ingame downloaded files over.
If only everything could be that straightforward.

OK, so, where have the blocksignals gone, and how do I get them back?

Edit: Never mind, I found the setting. I didn't look hard enough.

MagicBuzz
Tycoon
Tycoon

Industries count problem

Post by MagicBuzz »

Hello,

I'm not sure where to ask this question, but as I'm using JGR patch pack, I guess it's here.

When I create a new game using any NewGFR (OpenGFX Industries, FIRS, Improved Industries, etc.) the parameter "Number of industries" isn't taken into account.

I create a new map with 10 towns, and "very low" industries count. I expect having about 20 or 30 industries, may be even less.

But I get exactly one industry of each type for each town. So it's the behavior of "high" parameter when "allow multiple industries of same type per town" is disabled.

Is there some setting I miss?

I noticed when I create a new map of 256x256 the setting looks like to work well : I get only 1 or 2 industries of each type.
When I create a new map of 1024x1024 the setting is half working : I get about half of each type of industries per town.
When I create a map of 4096x4096 the setting fails.

After some thoughts, I think there is a global problem with huge maps generation (also from heightmaps): if I set "high" no. of town, I get less towns in a big map than in a small map with a "normal" setting!
JGR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Industries count problem

Post by JGR »

MagicBuzz wrote: 07 Dec 2021 14:20 Hello,

I'm not sure where to ask this question, but as I'm using JGR patch pack, I guess it's here.

When I create a new game using any NewGFR (OpenGFX Industries, FIRS, Improved Industries, etc.) the parameter "Number of industries" isn't taken into account.

I create a new map with 10 towns, and "very low" industries count. I expect having about 20 or 30 industries, may be even less.

But I get exactly one industry of each type for each town. So it's the behavior of "high" parameter when "allow multiple industries of same type per town" is disabled.

Is there some setting I miss?

I noticed when I create a new map of 256x256 the setting looks like to work well : I get only 1 or 2 industries of each type.
When I create a new map of 1024x1024 the setting is half working : I get about half of each type of industries per town.
When I create a map of 4096x4096 the setting fails.

After some thoughts, I think there is a global problem with huge maps generation (also from heightmaps): if I set "high" no. of town, I get less towns in a big map than in a small map with a "normal" setting!
The "number of industries" setting in the map generation window sets the density. The total number to generate is proportional to the map size.
Likewise for towns.

For towns you may be limited by the town name generator. In particular the built in French town name generator is pretty rubbish and can only generate a small number of town names. It may be worth re-testing with a different town name generator.
Ex TTDPatch Coder
Patch Pack, Github
MagicBuzz
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Industries count problem

Post by MagicBuzz »

JGR wrote: 07 Dec 2021 14:51 The "number of industries" setting in the map generation window sets the density. The total number to generate is proportional to the map size.
Ok, so this is a trunk problem.

IMO the way it works is not correct.

I did some tests and found you're right, with English town names I get always about 2.5 industries per town, and both density and industries count remains proportional with map size, when I use "very few" settings.

BUT : this fails when I set "custom" town count.

On a 1024x1024 map, with 2 towns, I get 20 industries, whatever the setting for industry density.
This has also a very annoying side effect about map generation time : it actually tries to generate 160 industries but 140 fails. It takes a longer time to generate the map.

The industry density should be ajusted with the number of cities actually generated.

It's more logic that the industry density would be a "town industry density" rather than a "global map industry density".

The current way it works makes the industry density setting useless on big maps when you limit the number of towns (by map structure or using the custom setting).

As on a 256x256 map with "very few" parameters for towns and industries, I get 4 towns and 10 industries, I expect to always have 2,5 industries per town whatever the size of the map or the number of towns.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

industry density and town density are completely independent. there's no reason why the ratio of industries per town should be constant, if you change the number of towns.
MagicBuzz
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MagicBuzz »

I never said industry/town should be constant.

I just said the "industry density" should be a industry/town setting rather than a "number of industries per tile" setting.

Having the same industries count whatever the town number isn't logic, because :
- Industries belong to a town
- At map generation it's impossible to have two identical industries in the same town
=> There is a strong relation between town and industry.

Thus, when limiting the number of towns, the industry density setting become irrevelant, as we always get the same number of industries when map is large and town are few.

In the other hand, making the industry density setting related to the town number doesn't limit anything : if you want many towns with many industries, you still can get it, while you will at last be able to have a few (a really few) industries when generating a map with a few towns.

OR

If really I'm the only one guy in the world wondering how you can think the way it currently works is logic, then it currently lacks a "custom" industry setting where we could set "20" to get exactly 20 industries on the map, like it works for towns.
IMO this is quite nosense, but at least it could allow generating "a very few" industries when using "a very few" towns on larger maps.
Captain Rand
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Captain Rand »

Having just upgraded to the current version, I've found this in the settings:-
Add "indifferent" mode to the town council attitude to area restructuring setting
Does this mean town councils will no longer restrict you from building?

Also (been meaning to ask this for ages but keep forgetting), how do I use custom bridgeheads? Can anybody give an example?

Pete.

wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Captain Rand wrote: 08 Dec 2021 15:27 Also (been meaning to ask this for ages but keep forgetting), how do I use custom bridgeheads? Can anybody give an example?
Standard bridgeheads can only have the straight road or track that they are built with.
Custom bridgeheads allow the straight road/track to be overbuilt with diagonal or perpendicular road/tracks after which that straight road/track can be removed with the road/track removal tool.
dol422
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by dol422 »

Captain Rand wrote: 08 Dec 2021 15:27
Add "indifferent" mode to the town council attitude to area restructuring setting
Does this mean town councils will no longer restrict you from building?
I believe so. Useful when the authorities hate you but you still need to bulldoze their town for a railway line and have run out of places to plant trees. :mrgreen:
Take a look at: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=74993
Why do it tomorrow when you can do it today
JGR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JGR »

MagicBuzz wrote: 08 Dec 2021 13:51it currently lacks a "custom" industry setting where we could set "20" to get exactly 20 industries on the map
This is fixed now, see the next release.
Ex TTDPatch Coder
Patch Pack, Github
MagicBuzz
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MagicBuzz »

Thank you :bow:
fridaemon
Director
Director

Post by fridaemon »

Hi JGR. I have 2 observations.

1st:
I just launched a new game with a length factor of 20. I see one problem with this option - saving the game regularly. Every month is not enough for this day length. Would it be possible to set up automatic saving, for example, once every 10/15 days?

2nd:
I don't know where's the problem but I can't see town info. No town name, no time population info...
ImageImageImageImageImage
Beach Objects * Shopping Centres * Skyscrapers * Garage Entrances
Modular Warehouses * Trucks & Buses Parking Lots * Bus Depots * Bus Terminals
Road Waypoints * Road Stops * Eyecandy Objects * Building Set

Winner of the Screenshot of 09/20, 11/20, 02/21, 06/21, 07/21, 05/22 and 06/22.:twisted:
LaChupacabra
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by LaChupacabra »

fridaemon wrote: 12 Dec 2021 21:22 1st:
I just launched a new game with a length factor of 20. I see one problem with this option - saving the game regularly. Every month is not enough for this day length. Would it be possible to set up automatic saving, for example, once every 10/15 days?
I don't remember where, maybe even here, but this problem was raised somewhere. The consensus was that the best option would be to use a real-time interval rather than an in-game date. So, for example, every 1/5/10/15 minutes. It can also be both methods.
[+] Spoiler
Autosave by real time.png
Autosave by real time.png (112.16 KiB) Viewed 5125 times
fridaemon wrote: 12 Dec 2021 21:22 2nd:
I don't know where's the problem but I can't see town info. No town name, no time population info...
You probably turned off the display of city names by accident. You're not the first one. ;)
[+] Spoiler
Town names displayed.png
Town names displayed.png (14.19 KiB) Viewed 5125 times
I am sorry for may English. I know is bed.
dimon22_g
Engineer
Engineer

Post by dimon22_g »

Hi, I have a very strange behaviour of scheduled dispatch. I am using a script that changes town cargo rate during the day to simulate day and night and therefore I am using a 24 hour timeframe for the schedule.
My schedule starts at 6 00 and then continues for each 30 minutes for a new train. But at 6 00 there are two trains that are actually coming out of the depot. Then, on each next departure, there are also two trains going out instead of one and I quickly run out of trains in the depot.
I tried to restart and have cleared the whole schedule in the departure list, but at 6 00 again there were two trains departing, as nothing changed.
As the next step I restarted again and disabled the automatic dispatch for this group of train, there is a nessage shown that the schedule is not valid. But at 6 00 there are two trains again going out of the depot, as before.
This is weird at least.
Attachments
Transport INC, 20th Nov 1925.sav
(519 KiB) Downloaded 56 times
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Did the cheat shortcut get changed, or moved somewhere else? I'm sure it used to be CTRL+ALT+C (although i think CTRL+ALT+WINDOWS+C worked too), neither work now, and the first one actually scrolls slightly across the map?

Edit: For some reason, if I changed to full screen it started working again, including if i tabbed back to windowed mode (using ctrl+alt+windows+c, it doesn't work without the windows key).
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

most likely some other program is intercepting your keyboard shortcut, like graphics driver or whatever.
MagicBuzz
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MagicBuzz »

Hello,

I have an issue with the "Allow construction of tunnels under water" feature.

I don't know why, but it doesn't work as I expect it...

Any idea?

https://drive.manga-torii.com/index.php ... hYFKo6HWoj

-- Edit: Oops, forget about it. I didn't read the error message.
But IMO this could be improved a bit :
- With a parameter or at least a text near the parameter that recall tunnel heads must be between 5 and 8 tiles from water
- The control is only done a the begining of the tunnel : exit can be just beside water
- Why this limitation? Technical?
- The build tool should show the whole tunnel path in read when the requierements are not met: right now I clicked by accident, but noone would even try to click and see the error message that explain why it doesn't work

Return to “OpenTTD Development”