[OTTD] NARS ADD-ON SET (3 OCT 2016 - r0042) Dev Thread (Help wanted!)

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

SkullKrixzz
Engineer
Engineer

Re: [OTTD] NARS ADD-ON SET (3 OCT 2016 - r0042) Dev Thread (Help wanted!)

Post by SkullKrixzz »

are "Rail Slugs" possible at all? would be nice to have some on my shorter freight lines for that tiny bit of realism. ideally i'd like to have them in game with CN colours, but just having them at all is good for me. now, im still kinda new with forums and such so im hoping the attached picture is visible, i added it incase you werent sure of what im talking about.

NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

SkullKrixzz wrote:are "Rail Slugs" possible at all? would be nice to have some on my shorter freight lines for that tiny bit of realism. ideally i'd like to have them in game with CN colours, but just having them at all is good for me. now, im still kinda new with forums and such so im hoping the attached picture is visible, i added it incase you werent sure of what im talking about.

Well rail slugs IRL are used to distribute power from the lead locomotive into more axles, as many locomotive traction motors can't handle full load at slow speeds. So this power is distributed into a slug or two to allow a train to haul heavier cars at low speeds (as low as 15 Miles per hour)

I'm not good at coding yet as I have a hard time understanding any code, but the simpilest way I could add a slug in would be to say, get a sprite for a slug, and code it in as a cheap, unpowered engine with the same tractive effort as a switcher locomotive like a RS-3 or EMD SW1500, though this is a pretty quick and dirty way to get something like that in and it wouldn't work properly as they do in real life.

Though I'm guessing the proper way to code a slug would be perhaps something like this...
When connected to a locomotive, it'll limit the train to say 15-25 MPH to make things a little more gameplay friendly, but it'll cause compatible switcher locomotives to halve their power output (So a SW1500 would have its 1500HP halved to 750) while the Slug would be coded to automatically adjust its power for the lead locomotives half power rating (So the slug would run at 750HP in the case of a SW1500), but it would also have its own Tractive effort value.

So in the end it wouldn't give you more Horse power but more tractive effort to allow something like a switcher locomotive to move a heavier consist at low speeds, perhaps a string of empty hoppers in a large railyard. But this could also be used in OpenTTD to maybe run very short lines say from a Iron mine close to a steel mill with a short switcher run train (and use a slug to give it the traction it'd need to pull something at any speed)

EDIT : Please execuse me people if I don't quiet fully understand how a slug works, I haven't read up on them in a long while and I'm busy fixing up computers right now.
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
SkullKrixzz
Engineer
Engineer

Post by SkullKrixzz »

NekoMaster wrote:
SkullKrixzz wrote:are "Rail Slugs" possible at all? would be nice to have some on my shorter freight lines for that tiny bit of realism. ideally i'd like to have them in game with CN colours, but just having them at all is good for me. now, im still kinda new with forums and such so im hoping the attached picture is visible, i added it incase you werent sure of what im talking about.

Well rail slugs IRL are used to distribute power from the lead locomotive into more axles, as many locomotive traction motors can't handle full load at slow speeds. So this power is distributed into a slug or two to allow a train to haul heavier cars at low speeds (as low as 15 Miles per hour)

I'm not good at coding yet as I have a hard time understanding any code, but the simpilest way I could add a slug in would be to say, get a sprite for a slug, and code it in as a cheap, unpowered engine with the same tractive effort as a switcher locomotive like a RS-3 or EMD SW1500, though this is a pretty quick and dirty way to get something like that in and it wouldn't work properly as they do in real life.

Though I'm guessing the proper way to code a slug would be perhaps something like this...
When connected to a locomotive, it'll limit the train to say 15-25 MPH to make things a little more gameplay friendly, but it'll cause compatible switcher locomotives to halve their power output (So a SW1500 would have its 1500HP halved to 750) while the Slug would be coded to automatically adjust its power for the lead locomotives half power rating (So the slug would run at 750HP in the case of a SW1500), but it would also have its own Tractive effort value.

So in the end it wouldn't give you more Horse power but more tractive effort to allow something like a switcher locomotive to move a heavier consist at low speeds, perhaps a string of empty hoppers in a large railyard. But this could also be used in OpenTTD to maybe run very short lines say from a Iron mine close to a steel mill with a short switcher run train (and use a slug to give it the traction it'd need to pull something at any speed)

EDIT : Please execuse me people if I don't quiet fully understand how a slug works, I haven't read up on them in a long while and I'm busy fixing up computers right now.

oh...i was just expecting it to be coded in as a regular engine and used "for looks" really, but i actually like what you mentioned, i do tend to have some shorter lines that haul some relatively heavy freight, i try not to have many hills but sometime cant help it, in that instance i think the tractive effort from the slug would help with that (if im understanding tractive effort correctly, i thought it was how well the train can grip the rails and pull is cargo without any wheel slip. please correct me if i am wrong.) i also use JGR patch pack and have weight multipliers that effect my trains. so im startign to think this would have both a functional use as well as being pleasing to the eye.
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

SkullKrixzz wrote: oh...i was just expecting it to be coded in as a regular engine and used "for looks" really, but i actually like what you mentioned, i do tend to have some shorter lines that haul some relatively heavy freight, i try not to have many hills but sometime cant help it, in that instance i think the tractive effort from the slug would help with that (if im understanding tractive effort correctly, i thought it was how well the train can grip the rails and pull is cargo without any wheel slip. please correct me if i am wrong.) i also use JGR patch pack and have weight multipliers that effect my trains. so im startign to think this would have both a functional use as well as being pleasing to the eye.
As far as I know, Tractive Effort is basically how much traction the locomotive can get on the rails, which also effects acceleration when parted with a lot of power. Also gearing on a trains axles and motors can change its speed and tractive effort. While its not the most crucial thing around for freight trains, but if you want to get anywhere fast without burning out your wheels and rails you'll want to be able to grip the rails.
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
TheAmir259
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by TheAmir259 »

NekoMaster wrote: I'm not good at coding yet as I have a hard time understanding any code, but the simpilest way I could add a slug in would be to say, get a sprite for a slug, and code it in as a cheap, unpowered engine with the same tractive effort as a switcher locomotive like a RS-3 or EMD SW1500, though this is a pretty quick and dirty way to get something like that in and it wouldn't work properly as they do in real life.

Well, i thought coding for those features would be way harder. I suggest, to satisfy other people (I'm not gonna use it anyway, doesn't fit my british theme) quickly, you will have to make it function like an ordinary train first. After uploading the first update, then you can continue to work on the harder function/feature.
You can also find me at Reddit. Check out my OpenTTD Screenshots & Savefiles!
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

TheAmir259 wrote:
NekoMaster wrote: I'm not good at coding yet as I have a hard time understanding any code, but the simpilest way I could add a slug in would be to say, get a sprite for a slug, and code it in as a cheap, unpowered engine with the same tractive effort as a switcher locomotive like a RS-3 or EMD SW1500, though this is a pretty quick and dirty way to get something like that in and it wouldn't work properly as they do in real life.

Well, i thought coding for those features would be way harder. I suggest, to satisfy other people (I'm not gonna use it anyway, doesn't fit my british theme) quickly, you will have to make it function like an ordinary train first. After uploading the first update, then you can continue to work on the harder function/feature.
Well looking up Slugs on Wikipedia, the easiest thing I can do for now is say, modify a GP30 or GP35 sprite and remove some details like radiators and go with a more basic theme to make them into a Road Slug. Just too bad that I can't make them operate only at slow speed like a Road Slug normally does, so anything above 10-15 MPH they cut out and just become a unpowered control cable. If anything, it would appear that any crews that are going to be running with a Road Slug with a cab in the train, they'll push to get it in the lead/head so they can have a QUiet, Vibration free ride (No engine = no noise and less vibration)

As for a Yard Slug, the little cut down engine thingies, I will need a sprite for that, but then again I could probably hack together a slug from one of the EMD SW switchers (like copying and pasting the front of the engine to the back and fixing up any abnormalities)
taufik97
Engineer
Engineer

Post by taufik97 »

NARS is my favourite trainset because of its realism, and this grf adds more engines to NARS, so this grf is my favourite too. Thank you :D
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

taufik97 wrote:NARS is my favourite trainset because of its realism, and this grf adds more engines to NARS, so this grf is my favourite too. Thank you :D
Your welcome, I hope it serves you well, though it would be nice in the future when I can add steam engines like the Southern Pacific GS-4 and larger electrics like the EP2 Bipolar and EF4 LIttle Joe. I still have quite a list of things to add but I might just have to make sprites for those myself. I did how ever make a sprite for a EMD model 40 switcher.
Attachments
EMD_Model_40.png
EMD_Model_40.png (6.45 KiB) Viewed 2859 times
Thorg
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Thorg »

@NekoMaster

What's wrong with using The Growl's EMU sprites?
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

Thorg wrote:@NekoMaster

I haven't figured out how to code them yet :s
WarbonnetDASH9
Engineer
Engineer

Post by WarbonnetDASH9 »

NekoMaster wrote:

I haven't figured out how to code them yet :s
NekoMaster I'd say this Add-on set is coming along quite nicely, I am enjoying it.
The Growl
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by The Growl »

Wat dis dude say 'bout me?
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

The Growl wrote:

Wat dis dude say 'bout me?
They're just asking why I haven't included the EMU sprites you made, and thats simply because 1) I dunno how to make a articulated/double headed EMU yet and 2) I'm messing around with other things at the moment so I'm not actively developing this set.

Then again I got most of what I wanted to do done, though I'm thinking in the future I might as well just try making my own North American set in 2cc Set style to speed up spriting and maybe eventually redo everything in nars style if people don't like the 2cc style.
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

Any chance a version of this will be made that accepts NARS 2.03?
I didn't want to lose what was dropped in 2.5 so I still use that version.

But I really want to see an enhanced post-WW II 4-8-4 (like the NYC Niagara S2,C&O Greenbrier J-3-A,Norfolk & Western J,Western Maryland J-1,UP FEF-3,etc...the "climax stage" before development was abandoned).
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

Baldy's Boss wrote:Any chance a version of this will be made that accepts NARS 2.03?
I didn't want to lose what was dropped in 2.5 so I still use that version.

But I really want to see an enhanced post-WW II 4-8-4 (like the NYC Niagara S2,C&O Greenbrier J-3-A,Norfolk & Western J,Western Maryland J-1,UP FEF-3,etc...the "climax stage" before development was abandoned).
I do plan on one of these days learning how to code articulated stuff to add larger electric locomotives and certain steam engines like the FEF-3, AC12 Cab Forwards, The Big Boy, and the Southern Pacific Daylight GS-4 Locomotives. Theres probably more that i forgot, but that'll all come later.
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

Right now I have Big Boys running in one game from a global set (they last 40 years!) but I don't think any sets have upgraded 4-8-4s.
Engine97
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Engine97 »

A few concepts that have been brewing in my head :)

2-10-0 (WM Style)
0-8-8-0 (Erie Style)
4-4-6-4 (PRR Style)
2-6-6-2 (C&O Style)
4-8-4 (WM Style)
2-8-8-8-2
2-8-0 (WM Style)
Attachments
TTD Concepts.png
TTD Concepts.png (13.68 KiB) Viewed 2446 times
Sandpatch and Southern Railway Company~~~~ Route of the Alleghenies
Maddog45353
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Maddog45353 »

Engine97 wrote:A few concepts that have been brewing in my head :)

2-10-0 (WM Style)
0-8-8-0 (Erie Style)
4-4-6-4 (PRR Style)
2-6-6-2 (C&O Style)
4-8-4 (WM Style)
2-8-8-8-2
2-8-0 (WM Style)

OH man look at those engines. :bow:
LoneBlackWolf
mikeylight
Engineer
Engineer

Post by mikeylight »

I'm just here to ask whoever is doing this add-on set if they can add the Shay when the steam locos come out. It got taken out of NARS 2.51 and I miss it.
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

mikeylight wrote:I'm just here to ask whoever is doing this add-on set if they can add the Shay when the steam locos come out. It got taken out of NARS 2.51 and I miss it.
I would like to add what was lost and more, though I just haven't had the motivation to try coding articulated engines, plus now I'm working and what not so I kinda don't have the time or motivation to learn. If I tried really hard I could probably get it working.

I would also like to learn variable running costs so that my nars addon works a bit better with nars 2.5, because at the moment, while I do have parameters to change purchase and running costs, my addon set runs at full running cost all the time.

Return to “Graphics Development”