Request: Sherman M4A2 & Panzer III L

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Fairyfloss
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Request: Sherman M4A2 & Panzer III L

Post by Fairyfloss »

Hello there, I'm not sure whether this is the correct forum or not,
I've look around a bit, and saw that some requests have been made on this forum.
Could someone please be so nice and draw a M4A2 Sherman and a Panzer III L for me?
Me and a friend want to use them as eye candy road vehicles, but we suck at drawing sprites.
If someone could draw them it'd be greatly appreciated!
Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Request: Sherman M4A2 & Panzer III L

Post by Supercheese »

If you are not considering a public release, you can make use of some excellent sprites from the Civilization 3 modding community. They already have hundreds, if not thousands, of tanks and other military vehicles sprited in the 9-direction isometric/dimetric style that you can extract and recode into a grf for private use.

There are several Sherman and PzKpfw III variants available, for instance: this or this or this or this or this.

To get these into OTTD, I would download the vehicle of choice, download this program which will let you view & extract the sprites, open one of the vehicle's .flc files using that program, then use the Export tab to save the sprites as a .pcx. At that point you'll have some sprites to work with, although you'll need to resize them and convert the palette over to the TTD standard, of course.

For coding the sprites into a usable grf, I defer to the excellent NML tutorial.
Eyecandy Road Vehicles | Fake Subways | Supercheese's NewObjects

"Fashions and cultures change, but steam trains shall always be majestic."
-Professor Hershel Layton
Fairyfloss
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Fairyfloss »

Thank you!
I have managed to convert some sprites (I think, not sure wether it's correct) with difficulty, but learning to code is still quite hard,
I'll just go ahead and try to learn how to code, but thank you for the guide!
Also, is it possible to convert any type of vehicle I find there to a vehicle for OpenTTD?
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

Lt gable gave a Sherman and a Tiger a try once:
http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php? ... 2&start=40
(scroll down a bit)

No idea if he is still active (last visit 2009), but you might try to ask permission to use his graphics.
Projects: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=57266
Screenshots: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=56959
Scenario of The Netherlands: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=87604

Winner of the following screenshot competitions:
sep 2012, jan 2013, apr 2013, aug 2013, mar 2014, mar 2016, oct 2020
All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Supercheese »

Darthrafael wrote:Thank you!
I have managed to convert some sprites (I think, not sure wether it's correct) with difficulty, but learning to code is still quite hard,
Also, is it possible to convert any type of vehicle I find there to a vehicle for OpenTTD?
I believe it would be possible, but due to palette and size differences, it would surely require lots of editing to get them looking good in the TTD-world. Still, it is significantly easier than drawing sprites from scratch.
Eyecandy Road Vehicles | Fake Subways | Supercheese's NewObjects

"Fashions and cultures change, but steam trains shall always be majestic."
-Professor Hershel Layton
ISA
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ISA »

Supercheese wrote:
Darthrafael wrote:Thank you!
I believe it would be possible, but due to palette and size differences, it would surely require lots of editing to get them looking good in the TTD-world. Still, it is significantly easier than drawing sprites from scratch.
If You have all directions what You need for workable grf, it is fairly easy to convert them, at least my opinion, if You know what You doing! :)

Return to “Graphics Development”