Disused Railways and stations

Discuss, get help with, or post new modifications, graphics or related tools for Locomotion in this forum.

Moderator: Locomotion Moderators

useagull
Engineer
Engineer

Disused Railways and stations

Post by useagull »

Hello is there any mods which can give me disused railways and stations or is it just a case of being creative with what mods like Digidampfman's station pack?
The Tram man
Chairman
Chairman

Re: Disused Railways and stations

Post by The Tram man »

I've thought about using the night mod track as a disused rail line, but i've never done it yet.
useagull
Engineer
Engineer

Post by useagull »

I think there's an opening there for the experienced mod creaters amounst us. I would love to do it myself but wouldn't know where to start
Illegal_Alien
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Illegal_Alien »

Just start somewhere, the handfulll of modders can do everything :P
:: Looking for the Locomotion section? Scroll down on the forum index or click here. :: See all releases in Locomotion section? Clicky here! :: Click here for the best tool ever! :: .datCrawler try it! ::
Following roadmap for releases: Whats a roadmap?
Releases of LocoTrains can be found by checking the posts of: LocoTrains - Goold old AMI Trains member of the first hour.
I have Private Messaging disabled, because of the stupid questions i get in my PM box.
Want to talk to me? Get on the #tycoon and #locomotion channel on OFTC thingy. :: Evolution of men: Loosing more braincells, everytime you post...
Opan
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Opan »

Well here is a start.
This is something I just threw together in about 15 minutes of tinkering with the dat and in GIMP.
My suggestion would be to create a new track type and edit its sprites to look overgrown. Granted you would still need to edit the ties and the tracks, as I only edited the roadbed sprite (ignore the pink line, I was using it as a guideline and couldn't be bothered to get rid of it). It would be a bit of a process to edit all the track sprites, but that is how I would do it.

Of course you could do it as a 3d model and create your own, but that is where I can't help you. I am simply not at the skill level of modeling in Blender to make anything of use (though I am still trying when I have time :wink: ) And honestly I think it is more trouble to generate an overgrown track model then it is to simply slap on the grass sprite underneath. Unless there is any easier way that I dont know about?

Like IA said, start somewhere. Don't be afraid to take apart the dat and mess with it a bit. Just dont overwrite anything and make sure you have a back up objdata folder.
Good luck. :)
Attachments
grassbed.png
grassbed.png (28.6 KiB) Viewed 6135 times
useagull
Engineer
Engineer

Post by useagull »

Hmm seems very interesting i'm gonna give that a shot see how i get on, i think it could be real eye candy and if i'm creating a new track suppose i could do a disused bridge or two mind you you can only select so many in the scenario editor!
Opan
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Opan »

I just had an idea actually that might make this a lot easier. Instead of editing the roadbed, just paint over it with the transparency colour (blue) and scratch a bit of the railroad ties and rails with the transparency. I got a result like this. I think it looks best on the grass while not looking too great in the sand.
Attachments
disusedgtypes.png
disusedgtypes.png (18.39 KiB) Viewed 6062 times
Here is how the sprites would look. 018 020 and 022 in order from left to right.
Here is how the sprites would look. 018 020 and 022 in order from left to right.
sprites.png (1.17 KiB) Viewed 6062 times
The Tram man
Chairman
Chairman

Post by The Tram man »

Wow. That's actually pretty nice! I know it's supposed to look disused, but do you know how to make trains compatible with this track? I've got an idea for some truly rural railroading. 8)
useagull
Engineer
Engineer

Post by useagull »

Opan wrote:I just had an idea actually that might make this a lot easier. Instead of editing the roadbed, just paint over it with the transparency colour (blue) and scratch a bit of the railroad ties and rails with the transparency. I got a result like this. I think it looks best on the grass while not looking too great in the sand.
That does look really good, i could use them for overgrown and neglected goods and dock lines. It does look best on the grass and them mixed with the track which is used for digidampfman's station pack (the line with no sleepers) u could make a really convincing mothballed line!!
useagull
Engineer
Engineer

Post by useagull »

An effort at replicating a disused station on a rural branch line, the village of Ravenston
Attachments
Screenshot3.jpg
(601.35 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
Badger
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Badger »

Heh, that's pretty good!
|||| My OTTD/TTDP pics ||||Currently slighty obsessed with getting Platinum Trophies||||Retired moderator||||
Opan
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Opan »

Perhaps something like this? If just the railroad ties were left and the tracks ripped up. Or I could do another with the ties and rails missing and nothing but overgrown roadbed.
The Tram man wrote:Wow. That's actually pretty nice! I know it's supposed to look disused, but do you know how to make trains compatible with this track? I've got an idea for some truly rural railroading. 8)
I don't think its possible for a train to run on multiple track types. You would have to edit the trains you want for them to be compatible.
Attachments
ties.png
ties.png (28.09 KiB) Viewed 5959 times
Something like this
Something like this
roadbed2.png (1.21 KiB) Viewed 5959 times
The Tram man
Chairman
Chairman

Post by The Tram man »

Opan wrote:I don't think its possible for a train to run on multiple track types. You would have to edit the trains you want for them to be compatible.
Ah... That sucks. I have tried and failed multiple times to edit vehicles for the game.
chrissykes
Engineer
Engineer

Post by chrissykes »

Looks good! Shame its probably not possible to have it where if a train hasnt gone over the line over a set period its starts to decay...

Could you make it as a mod so you can cover the normal track with the decay track instead of deleting and rebuilding with the decay?
Densha
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Densha »

chrissykes wrote:Looks good! Shame its probably not possible to have it where if a train hasnt gone over the line over a set period its starts to decay...

Could you make it as a mod so you can cover the normal track with the decay track instead of deleting and rebuilding with the decay?
That's what I thought of too. In the catenary tab perhaps? I don't have experience with sprites, but who knows what happens if you put the decay track sprite there.
useagull
Engineer
Engineer

Post by useagull »

Another go at an old branch line leaving a mainline station, could really do with your overgrown track mod here Opan
Longtown Junction.jpg
(601.48 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
Opan
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Opan »

Here is the first version. This is only ties, and no weathering applied.
chrissykes wrote:Could you make it as a mod so you can cover the normal track with the decay track instead of deleting and rebuilding with the decay?
IrmoTrainfan wrote:In the catenary tab perhaps?
That's what I thought of at first too, but after looking at the signals you wouldn't be able to make it over the curves. And it would also need to act as a signal and would mess with your tracks quite a bit. I'm trying to see if I can't make a track that has the curves of the Railroad track but acts like tramtrack. Then lay it ontop of the Railroad track with different sprites. Will look more into it.

Also I included my own picture of what it might be able to do. Let me know what you think.
Attachments
Something like this.
Something like this.
tieshot.png (80.9 KiB) Viewed 824 times
Disused Rails.zip
(81.46 KiB) Downloaded 328 times
useagull
Engineer
Engineer

Post by useagull »

That's really good Opan i will use that, is it possible to add stations from other packs? because i have just tried adding a station from the uk pack and it didn't work
trainman1432
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by trainman1432 »

maybe could you make this for openttd?
Jetrain
YATTC
Opan
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Opan »

You'll have to add the station manually in the "DISUSED1" file.
Just edit this line of code to the stations that you want to be compatible.

Code: Select all

<useobject desc="station[0]" class="15">TRSTAT1 </useobject>
	<useobject desc="station[1]" class="15">TRSTAT2 </useobject>
	<useobject desc="station[2]" class="15">TRSTAT3 </useobject>
	<useobject desc="station[3]" class="15">TRSTAT4 </useobject>
	<useobject desc="station[4]" class="15">TRSTAT5 </useobject>
trainman1432 wrote:maybe could you make this for openttd?
Such and thing already exists for OTTD http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php? ... sed+tracks

Return to “Locomotion Graphics, Modifications & Tools”