GRFMaker - call for examples (cross post)

Discussions about the technical aspects of graphics development, including NewGRF tools and utilities.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

AndersI
Tycoon
Tycoon

GRFMaker - call for examples (cross post)

Post by AndersI »

As you might have seen, I have collected as much information and files I could find around the GRFMaker subject and made a page for it - The GRFMaker Community Page.

Now, to make this a better resource, we need example projects or any other information files you might have. Anyone that has a small GRFMaker project illustrating how to solve a certain problem, please supply them here and I will upload them to the GRFMaker page.

I don't want large projects doing everything (at least not only those), but small snippets illustrating (mainly) one thing. The GRFMaker projects and (when applicable) PCX file(s). The more comments inside the project file, the better. A writedown in a text file is also OK, but real comments in the project file is best.

DOC files and/or PDF files are of course also welcome, but real project files is best.

This post is a cross post of the thread in TTDPatch/Graphics, and I think it would be best if we kept the rest of the discussion there.
http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?p=788266#p788266
Cudar
Engineer
Engineer

Re: GRFMaker - call for examples (cross post)

Post by Cudar »

Hello AndersI!

I saw that on the GRFMaker Community page, that the latest version is 3.01. But I have a much newer version: 4.01 here. I have also two examples (lst files), here.
KG Studios Cudar (latest news about RVR) - Romania in OTTD tt-forums topic - Romania in OTTD website - RomTrain Graphics
Creator of the Road Vehicles in Romania set
ImageImage
AndersI
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by AndersI »

Actually, the latest version in the SVN repository is 3.04B, which is also the one available from the GRFMaker Community Page. 3.03B is the last 'official' version that gl2/szappy released here on the forums, and is also the base for the open source version.

You don't think you could persuade the programmer(s) that has created your 4.01 to share their source code, and/or even start working on the open source version? It's a bit of a waste of time that many people are doing the same thing, we could get a better result by working together. Also, merging two different branches when someone finally releases their source code will only be more and more difficult the longer it goes...

BTW, does the branch you are using have a web page or any other official place for download?

NOTE: to anyone downloading from cudars link: GRFMaker projects created with that version will not be compatible with the semi-official open source version. Not that I'm discouraging from downloading and using it, just a little warning if you're going to share your projects among other GRFMaker users.
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

AndersI, could perhaps the version posted here be any newer than your current version? Probably not, but I guess the 1% chance is worth mentioning.
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Cudar
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Cudar »

You don't think you could persuade the programmer(s) that has created your 4.01 to share their source code, and/or even start working on the open source version?
I can't reach the programmers on the Hungarian site. They aren't working now... The version, that I've got is downloadable on Nohab King's OTTD forum. The Road Vehicles in Romania are coded with that version.
KG Studios Cudar (latest news about RVR) - Romania in OTTD tt-forums topic - Romania in OTTD website - RomTrain Graphics
Creator of the Road Vehicles in Romania set
ImageImage
AndersI
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by AndersI »

@Purno: No, that's the same version as the original source release. The current 3.04Beta from svn is based on that. The only interesting versions are the ones where we have access to the source code.

@Cudar: OK, that's a pity. If you ever get in contact with them, please tell them about the open source version, and our wishes to consolidate all changes in GRFMaker in one, open source, version.

To all: Use whatever version of GRFMaker that works for you, but remember that the projects will probably not be compatible between differently produced versions of GRFMaker.

Return to “NewGRF Technical Discussions”