Moderator: Graphics Moderators
The current Bananas version is 100, 5th of February 2019.
TaI32 Town Set - wot is it?
As well as being a graphical replacement, TaI town and industries have improved/different game mechanics. The town set aims to create towns with modified growth and shaping which is both aesthetically pleasing and good for gameplay.
Current features include:
- Town growth is limited - all towns grow, but it takes some time for a village to become a metropolis.
- Larger/higher density buildings only appear near transport services.
- High-rise buildings cluster in one part of the city.
- Residential buildings don't appear near industries.
I'm pretty happy in my testing with how the towns are behaving, but I'd be really interested to hear if other people think I've got the balance right!
May I ask to add a parameter to use normal town growth behaviour so that it plays well alongside scenario game scripts?
Already done - the town growth rate is adjustable, and setting it to 0 disables the limiter. The cargo requirements for high-density buildings can also be adjusted or disabled.planetmaker wrote:May I ask to add a parameter to use normal town growth behaviour so that it plays well alongside scenario game scripts?
Perfect!PikkaBird wrote:Already done - the town growth rate is adjustable, and setting it to 0 disables the limiter. The cargo requirements for high-density buildings can also be adjusted or disabled.planetmaker wrote:May I ask to add a parameter to use normal town growth behaviour so that it plays well alongside scenario game scripts?
The Tai32 strikes a much better balance in having cities filled with houses first, and making taller buildings near where the dense parts would be, and having most taller buildings have a shallower footprint so you can see the space between everything.
- I don't think the goods or food requirement is FIRS compatible, I didn't seem to be getting high rises until I turned the high rises option to only require passengers and goods
- the high rises blend in a bit too well with the rest of the buildings, I wasn't sure what the high rises looked like until I dug through the NewGRF graphics
- no building seems to be as tall as skyscrapers in other sets yet
- maybe for the pre-release graphics the colours could fit the SimCity style of green residential, blue commercial, yellow industrial
- tai32 growth near transit line.png
- can tell which buildings are built near a transit line from the density, while the un-served parts remain as suburbs
- (1.11 MiB) Not downloaded yet
Yes, the buildings of different size can be a bit hard to tell apart - obviously that problem will be mitigated by proper graphics. I'll look into what might be happening with FIRS and food/goods.
- Posts: 3982
- Joined: 16 Aug 2008 22:26
- Skype: neko-master
- Location: Oshawa, Ontario, CANADA
Will the style be based on anything specific or perhaps something more like a Generic/World style that Total Town renewal set?
This set will be drawn in 2x zoom, like the UKRS3 trains, so hopefully it will look reasonably at home with either standard or zoom base sets and other GRFs.acs121 wrote:Hold on. 32bpp just colours or 32bpp Extrazoom ? They look a bit like Extrazoom though.
The grey doors and window shutters are colour masked. 2x 32bpp really does seem to be the sweet spot for getting some detail and texture into the sprites, while keeping the TTD-style pixel graphic look, IMO!
- Route Supervisor
- Posts: 421
- Joined: 15 Jun 2007 09:27
- Skype: madchimiste
- Location: Berlin, Deutschland
Does that mean they will be randomly coloured in game?
Yes - well, coloured as selected by the NewGRF.
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 19 guests