TrolleyBi: OGFX+ Style Trolley Trucks And Buses

Find and discuss all the latest NewGRF releases for TTDPatch and OpenTTD here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

supermop
Tycoon
Tycoon

TrolleyBi: OGFX+ Style Trolley Trucks And Buses

Post by supermop »

New, very much improved Trollybi set available now! Now includes a variety of truck types to cover all 'default' types, with improved sprites, cargo graphics, 2cc, and a 4th generation of vehicles. 40 total new trolley powered road vehicles to handle any cargo!
Two gravel trucks leave a quarry
Two gravel trucks leave a quarry
gravel.PNG (148.48 KiB) Viewed 3386 times
Trolleybi012.grf
New Version
(580.7 KiB) Downloaded 986 times
edit: had to fix cargo compatibility for flatbeds

Please check it out, give your feedback on balance etc.

Old:
NotRoadTypes finally makes possible Rubber Tyred Trolley trucks and buses that are actually distinct from trams. However, it has not yet been possible to test them out in game as none of the existing trolleybus sets are coded to use this feature. This prompted me to make a basic RV set, in the style of OpenGFX+ RVs, to try out these vehicles in game.

This set provides 9 new vehicles, to match the three generations of road vehicles in OGFX+. There are three each of buses, mail vans, and piece goods trucks, refit table in the same manner as in OGFX+. An eventual goal is for this set to become part of OGFX+, rather than to become a complex stand alone set. I may add other truck types in the future, but for now this selection allows players to try out the trolley truck concept.

The set is designed to be roughly balanced against the default vehicles, with purchase costs a bit higher and top speed a bit lower, but slightly lower weight and running costs, and higher capacity and power. Hopefully this lets these vehicles fill a more urban niche as compared to the more over the road role of the default diesel vehicles.

The set takes sprites from OpenGFX, with new additions from me. This work is released under the GPLv2 license, so feel free to adapt it to other uses, but be warned that my code is very crude.

Future work:
-improve sprites/add 2cc
-add other truck types
-add non-electric trams
-add some late game dual mode vehicles
-create sprites for two-conductor trolleywire
-integrate with OpenGFX+ RVs
Trolleybi.grf
Old Version
(33.74 KiB) Downloaded 510 times
Get NRT here: viewtopic.php?f=33&t=75637
Get some more wired up roads here: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=75941

EDIT: Fixed Roadtype table in grf.
Last edited by supermop on 15 May 2017 04:59, edited 2 times in total.
Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: OGFX+ Style Trolley Trucks And Buses

Post by Supercheese »

supermop wrote:Trolleybi.grf
What is this that sparketh thus?
Can it be a Trolley Bus?
Eyecandy Road Vehicles | Fake Subways | Supercheese's NewObjects

"Fashions and cultures change, but steam trains shall always be majestic."
-Professor Hershel Layton
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

supermop wrote:NotRoadTypes finally makes possible Rubber Tyred Trolley trucks and buses...
Wait... what did I just read? There is actually proper Trolleybuses around? When did the ability to do this happen?
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Pilot wrote:
supermop wrote:NotRoadTypes finally makes possible Rubber Tyred Trolley trucks and buses...
Wait... what did I just read? There is actually proper Trolleybuses around? When did the ability to do this happen?
It's not officially in OpenTTD, but there is a new spec being developed that allows for new types of roads, and new types of vehicles to be developed for them.
You can find copies of a forked version of the game over in the developer section.
supermop
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: TrolleyBi: OGFX+ Style Trolley Trucks And Buses

Post by supermop »

Few vignettes of the new vehicles:
Fully laden 3rd generation open truck carries fruit to a brewery in town
Fully laden 3rd generation open truck carries fruit to a brewery in town
fruit.PNG (107.63 KiB) Viewed 3386 times
Trolleybus on the periphery of town center
Trolleybus on the periphery of town center
trollrybus.PNG (151.79 KiB) Viewed 3386 times
oil.PNG
2nd Generation Oil tankers approach the export terminal
(354.65 KiB) Not downloaded yet
supermop
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by supermop »

Sorry for the double-post, but I put together a little png to show the 40 trolley-vehicles in the new version of the set:
trolley parade.png
trolley parade.png (11.37 KiB) Viewed 14963 times
Last edited by supermop on 17 May 2017 03:55, edited 2 times in total.
Lesarthois
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Lesarthois »

Excellent! I like to see trolleybusses in OpenTTD, and ones that does NOT replace the tramways!

I only started to play with them, so I can't comment much on the balance (and balance compared to what? I have so many mods it's hard to see what is "a good balance. Original OpenTTD vehicles? :D) So far, it seems to be okay. I make money with the busses, with the flatbed trucks carrying steel, but not with the postal one, and I guess that the food ones I get are making a too short trip to be profitable so, seems that it's average.

I assume that they have been put together just to provide people with a way to test the trolley system of OpenTTD, but I hope you have future plans to give them a less bland look. I found them to be a little too generic to my taste, especially the busses and mailcars. Surely, coming with something original with the trucks is going to be hard, but the busses might take a more extravagant look.
http://englishrussia.com/2007/03/05/ele ... -russia/2/
But as I said, I guess there are merely for testing, so ignore that part :p

What I would like to see more is a feature you plan to do anyway, which are non-electric trams.
If I can suggest, one horse tram (passengers and mail) and Mékarski steam-fireless trams types.
I know Road Hog provide steam tramw for NRT, but their mail and passenger steam trams are usually too large to be used when cities are still developping, so smaller tramways would be welcome.

I guess, Diesel-powered utility trams could come handy too once the Road Hog steam trams become unavailable (not that I care much as I use "vehicle never expire" but I like variety too :D and I will play again with vehicle expire).
I don't know if there have been? I guess, there gotta be some for maintenance or to pull tramways if power run out.
trainman1432
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by trainman1432 »

I've played with this in NRT, and it's really cool! I saw a dev thread and for the trams, you COULD do a bus head, then do bus-style coaches. would be interesting to see those!
Jetrain
YATTC
supermop
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by supermop »

Lesarthois wrote:Excellent! I like to see trolleybusses in OpenTTD, and ones that does NOT replace the tramways!
I assume that they have been put together just to provide people with a way to test the trolley system of OpenTTD, but I hope you have future plans to give them a less bland look. I found them to be a little too generic to my taste, especially the busses and mailcars. Surely, coming with something original with the trucks is going to be hard, but the busses might take a more extravagant look.
http://englishrussia.com/2007/03/05/ele ... -russia/2/
But as I said, I guess there are merely for testing, so ignore that part :p
Indeed these are meant to be a sort of "OpenGFX+ RVs" for NRT, so help encourage more people to use the NRT branch, and thus help it mature. I have been expanding the set greatly, adding dual-mode and fossil fueled RVs as well. The 'development' version now has 118 rigid RVs, 104 articulated RVs, and a couple of test trams - plus some more types that are drawn but not yet coded. I've tried to make the sprites a bit more exciting and diverse, but they are still based on the general body shape of OpenGFX vehicles. You can try the latest test version at this thread: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=76402&p=1188006#p1188006

What I would like to see more is a feature you plan to do anyway, which are non-electric trams.
If I can suggest, one horse tram (passengers and mail) and Mékarski steam-fireless trams types.
I know Road Hog provide steam tramw for NRT, but their mail and passenger steam trams are usually too large to be used when cities are still developping, so smaller tramways would be welcome.
I am not too interested in horse trams at the moment, mostly because I think the horse never quite fit in, graphically. My opinion is that it would be best to fork eGRVTS to be NRT compatible. I am planning steam trams, diesel trams, and possibly even cable hauled trams. I've yet to mess around with meaningful distinctions in T.E. or track maintenance cost that would make that meaningful though... I think there is certainly room for diesel agricultural and industrial tramways in later game eras, as well as light diesel railcars and LRVs as passenger trams.
trainman1432 wrote:I've played with this in NRT, and it's really cool! I saw a dev thread and for the trams, you COULD do a bus head, then do bus-style coaches. would be interesting to see those!
I thought about compositing trams from bits of bus parts, but to be honest, I actually like trams (I don't particularly like busses or trucks), so personally I feel more invested to spend time drawing them (which is which the haven't been drawn yet - keep thinking about what I want to draw).

Best,
2TallTyler
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by 2TallTyler »

It's a travesty that it's taken me so long to try this set. These are very nice. :)

I understand you're not actively working on this project, but if you resume someday, it would be nice to disable dual-mode vehicles when fossil fuel vehicles are disabled. I'm working on a futuristic scenario and am trying to get only electric vehicles, but dual-mode trucks still run on non-electric roads and make smoke.
supermop
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by supermop »

2TallTyler wrote: 06 Feb 2021 03:14 It's a travesty that it's taken me so long to try this set. These are very nice. :)

I understand you're not actively working on this project, but if you resume someday, it would be nice to disable dual-mode vehicles when fossil fuel vehicles are disabled. I'm working on a futuristic scenario and am trying to get only electric vehicles, but dual-mode trucks still run on non-electric roads and make smoke.
Thank you for trying! Are you referring to Trolleybi, or my broader generic RV set? I don't think I ever included dual mode RVs in Trolleybi. For my other RV set (still needs a better name), I am intending to do a little more work on this shortly as I need to remove what I thought was a clever way to simulate crush loading on trams... As well as a few other problems need fixing.

I would be open to disabling the diesel smoke on dual mode and diesel vehicles if they are built after a certain date (presuming by that point they are LNG/hybrid/battery/capacitor), or possibly adding new vehicles for that role.
2TallTyler
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by 2TallTyler »

I am using the generic RV set from Bananas. No smoke on dual-mode vehicles sounds like a good solution. Are there any gameplay benefits to building electrified roads for dual-mode vehicles?
supermop
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by supermop »

2TallTyler wrote: 06 Feb 2021 13:04 I am using the generic RV set from Bananas. No smoke on dual-mode vehicles sounds like a good solution. Are there any gameplay benefits to building electrified roads for dual-mode vehicles?
No ugly smoke! ... and also much higher horsepower and lower running cost when running under wires. My general idea was to use electric roads for areas with a higher density of use, and cheaper non-electric roads for more outlying areas that might see less frequent service. Also it allows taking advantage of any electric roads in a city rather than running 'diesel under wires' which I guess offends my sensibilities about (imagined) urban air quality.

I really need a more catchy name than "Mop's Generic RVs"...
Gadg8eer
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Gadg8eer »

I think you should double-check every vehicle, there seems to be some serious issues... I posted in the other topic about this too.
Attachments
Quigley & Co., 2022-01-01.png
Quigley & Co., 2022-01-01.png (39.01 KiB) Viewed 6602 times
I have Asperger's, please be easy on me about stuff. My apologies if I've been a problem for you in the past.

Return to “Graphics Releases”