Docklands - 1.0 Released

Find and discuss all the latest NewGRF releases for TTDPatch and OpenTTD here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

supermop
Tycoon
Tycoon

Docklands - 1.0 Released

Post by supermop »

Inspired by the promising work on NotRoadTypes, I've drawn up and coded a basic proof of concept grf of road and tram types showing how they might be used in unconventional ways.
Docklands-1.png
Docklands-1.png (513.72 KiB) Viewed 30817 times
I've always wished the roads and tramways I build to larger industrial stations and harbor areas could look a little more congruent with the various industries and freight yards buildable with CHIPS and ISR. This grf aims to achieve that by providing road and tram types with graphics based on CHIPS and ISR tiles. Included are Mud, Cobble, and Asphalt pavement in CHIPS style, as well as the general ISR style pavement. Electric roadways and non-electric tramways are provided (no electrification is provided for mud as a judgement call to save roadtype slots. This may change). Custom FIRS based depots are provided, as are lane markings for roads and road stops in each style. Currently, there are no speedlimits or other special properties of these waytypes - a truck built in a cobblestone depot can drive on regular road and vis-versa.
Docklands.png
Docklands.png (368.48 KiB) Viewed 30817 times
Future work:
-Upload to Bananas
-Improve level crossing graphics
-Add different depots for each type
-Adapt or create some industrial yard specific vehicles
-Add new features as they become available in NRT

Naturally, you need a NRT compatible fork and road vehicle grf to use this. Get it here: https://www.openttd.org/en/download-ratt
Thanks!
Attachments
docklands011.grf
Old Version
(402.55 KiB) Downloaded 900 times
Last edited by supermop on 14 Feb 2018 01:14, edited 4 times in total.
STD
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Docklands

Post by STD »

A huge thank you to all the developers for adding new types of roads. I've uploaded a special version of OpenTTD. Loved it :)) . And are you planning to add new types of roads in the trunk to test the rest of the users?
[OpenTTD] STD screenshots
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[OpenTTD] STD saved games - My finished scenarios and saves from the game
My Youtube channel - OpenTTD | Wiki xUSSR set (RU) | Wiki xUSSR set (EN) | Download the latest version of the xUSSR set
TT Screenshot of the Month - the page editor | Screenshot Of The Month Contest Winner: August 2017
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

I'm drooling a little right now. :bow:
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Fantastic. Give this man a medal. We need this in trunk yesterday.
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
STD
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by STD »

Chrill wrote:Fantastic. Give this man a medal. We need this in trunk yesterday.
I fully support this proposal :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Youtube channel - OpenTTD | Wiki xUSSR set (RU) | Wiki xUSSR set (EN) | Download the latest version of the xUSSR set
TT Screenshot of the Month - the page editor | Screenshot Of The Month Contest Winner: August 2017
supermop
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by supermop »

STD wrote:
Chrill wrote:Fantastic. Give this man a medal. We need this in trunk yesterday.
I fully support this proposal :D

Please give any credit and medals to Andy, Wolf, Frosch, Alberth, et al who finallly made road types a thing! I'm just the lucky moron who's first out of the gate with a set of roads. If you really must pay tribute, let's see it in the form of screenshots!
SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by SimYouLater »

I'd like to congratulate you on your first release of this set. Can I give you the remains of the BARRB project? I doubt it (BARRB) can be completed and I'd rather see you succeed where I failed with some input from me than leave BARRB to rot.
Licenses for my work...
You automatically have my permission to re-license graphics or code by me if needed for use in any project that is not GPL v2, on the condition that if you release any derivatives of my graphics they're automatically considered as ALSO GPL v2 (code may remain unreleased, but please do provide it) and carry this provision in GPL v2 uses.
Please ask someone in-the-know to be sure that the graphics are done by me. Especially TTD-Scale, long story.
supermop
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by supermop »

SimYouLater wrote:I'd like to congratulate you on your first release of this set. Can I give you the remains of the BARRB project? I doubt it (BARRB) can be completed and I'd rather see you succeed where I failed with some input from me than leave BARRB to rot.
Thanks for your kind words, however it seems in my experience, that open source coding is usually 'taken' rather than given. Coding of any kind is very difficult for me - I only was able to slog through this because 1)what I was trying to do was relatively simple, 2)I had a clear, strong conception of what I wanted to see realized, and 3)I was lamenting the lack of any roadtype sets and wanted to encourage other authors. You might notice that docklands is not very feature rich or complex- there is no scheme for various speeds, construction costs, or upkeep costs - only visual decoration.

To that end I strongly encourage anyone who wants to grab my code etc here: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=75960
The set is GPLv2, so you can do anything you want with it so long as you abide those terms.

Best,
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

Very nice to see that you are making things for this very interesting development!
Keep up the great work! :bow:
Projects: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=57266
Screenshots: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=56959
Scenario of The Netherlands: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=87604

Winner of the following screenshot competitions:
sep 2012, jan 2013, apr 2013, aug 2013, mar 2014, mar 2016, oct 2020
All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
supermop
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by supermop »

A New Version is now available, with parameter to select CHIPS style, ISR style, or both. Should help declutter roadtype menus and help prevent running out of available slots.
Railwaymodeler
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Railwaymodeler »

This is incredibly awesome! I too had been a bit peeved by the roads and stations looking out of place in industrial yards. Often, especially when I use FIRS, when I have several industries very close to each other that take the same cargo, such as two that require coal or sand or something, I set up an industrial park, trains bring the raw materials in and "Transfer" it. Then trucks or freight streetcars make the final delivery. ensuring everything goes to the industry it is needed at. Now my industrial parks actually look right!
Without Trains America Stops

supermop
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by supermop »

New version out today - 0.1.1
Some, but not all, depots to choose from
Some, but not all, depots to choose from
Dockland Depot Selection.png (180.45 KiB) Viewed 29650 times
This release adds new depot graphics, and trolleywire sprites from Unspooled.

Additionally, two parameters are added, to select amount of road and tram types, and to select depot graphics. You can reduce the number of types when using Docklands to save slots for use by other roadtype grfs, now that we have a couple out there.

Have fun!
STD
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by STD »

Looks very beautiful. Thank you very much :)) .
Railwaymodeler
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Railwaymodeler »

I have a suggestion. For those of us who like to start early, as in 1800 early, could a roadtype be made that has streetcar rails but no overhead wires? Horse drawn streetcars look funny under wires in 1800. Even if the lack of wires is strictly cosmetic - where one could use the wire-less tracks to run electric cars (Which was possible in real life. Some cities, such as Washington DC prohibited overhead wires, so electric streetcars picked up power through a slot in the middle of the track from a buried wire), it would be very welcomed for early starters like me.

supermop
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by supermop »

Railwaymodeler wrote:I have a suggestion. For those of us who like to start early, as in 1800 early, could a roadtype be made that has streetcar rails but no overhead wires? Horse drawn streetcars look funny under wires in 1800. Even if the lack of wires is strictly cosmetic - where one could use the wire-less tracks to run electric cars (Which was possible in real life. Some cities, such as Washington DC prohibited overhead wires, so electric streetcars picked up power through a slot in the middle of the track from a buried wire), it would be very welcomed for early starters like me.

Please try the grf - It does indeed include several types of tramway without overhead wires. My other roadtype grf, Unspooled, includes even more, and has various early paving surfaces.

Thanks!
Railwaymodeler
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Railwaymodeler »

OK, I just found I had not updated to version 0.1.1 but even after doing so, I do not see the option for wireless streetcar tracks. Also, I cannot set parameters, that option is ghosted out. There's got to be something I am either doing wrong, or some prerequesite I do not have installed.

supermop
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by supermop »

Railwaymodeler wrote:OK, I just found I had not updated to version 0.1.1 but even after doing so, I do not see the option for wireless streetcar tracks. Also, I cannot set parameters, that option is ghosted out. There's got to be something I am either doing wrong, or some prerequesite I do not have installed.
At least for Docklands, you need to have a tram set loaded that uses non-electric trams for the non-electric tramways to show up (unspooled might be a bit different). Try using the NRT fork of Road Hog - I am not away of any other sets that provide steam trams / etc. so far.

I am not sure why parameters are not working for you - the first versions had no parameters, but on 0.1.1, they are working fine on my end.
Railwaymodeler
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Railwaymodeler »

I downloaded unspooled and that works for me. Running unspooled along Docklands gives me exactly what I want.

I am using eGRVS which has horsecars and steam streetcars. I think it is a British set that has steam trams, but I am unsure of the name offhand. It has a few steam dummys that pull either one or two double deck cars, a few light industrial diesels, such as a Rapier loco, and a Hunslet Wagonmaster, as well as a loco that looks like a WWI trench locomotive. Plus a vertical boiler loco.

supermop
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by supermop »

Railwaymodeler wrote:I downloaded unspooled and that works for me. Running unspooled along Docklands gives me exactly what I want.

I am using eGRVS which has horsecars and steam streetcars. I think it is a British set that has steam trams, but I am unsure of the name offhand. It has a few steam dummys that pull either one or two double deck cars, a few light industrial diesels, such as a Rapier loco, and a Hunslet Wagonmaster, as well as a loco that looks like a WWI trench locomotive. Plus a vertical boiler loco.
As far as I know, Zephyris has not been active since Roadtypes have been developed, so eGRVTS does not actually 'support' NRT. All of the trams in that set, whether steam or horse-drawn, would be functionally identical to the electric trams included, so there would be no differentiation in power supply by streetcar rail type. I considered forking eGRVTS myself to make a NRT version, but it is cc-by, not GPL, so I was wary of how the license would work. Furthermore, the set is quite complex for me to get my head around, so I figured best to wait until Zeph next has some free time. When I am able, I'd like to instead add some NRT specific vehicles to an OGFX+ RV fork or add-on.

Return to “Graphics Releases”