[OTTD] Turnpike Falls - A Wild West Adventure

Post your custom scenarios here. Saved games also welcome. All Transport Tycoon games acceptable (including TTDPatch and OpenTTD).
Chrill

[OTTD] Turnpike Falls - A Wild West Adventure

Post by Chrill »

It is the year 1890 1860, and the Wild West is slowly slipping. It is being brought into the modern world. There are street lights, electricity, and road vehicles.

Welcome to Turnpike Falls, a region located in Northern USA. The main city, Serenity, is the only settlement above 1000 people. A few other major settlements can be found across the region but your biggest source of early revenue will be in cargo you can haul. There is a mainland covering about one third of the map. In addition, we have four larger islands and several small ones. This makes boats a valid option for many journeys.

----

Release History:
v 0.91 - 2016-06-23 - First update to Turnpike Falls. This release changes the year from 1890 to 1860. I have added, removed, and resized several towns. Industries have been slightly more balanced, with some more difficult-to-reach industries providing a higher output.
v 0.9 - 2016-06-10 - First release! This release has been labelled Version 0.9, a sort of beta version. It should be fully playable but I have not balanced industries or given a lot of thought to the NewGRFs used. They should all be on Bananas. Please give me feedback on NewGRFs and on the map itself!

Attachments
Turnpike Falls 0_91.scn
(166.01 KiB) Downloaded 464 times
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
Chrill

Re: [OTTD] Turnpike Falls - A Wild West Adventure

Post by Chrill »

Here is the map that will help you move around in Turnpike Falls!

(click to Enlarge)

Two large screenshots of areas in the region zoomed in:
Turnpike_1.png
(5.69 MiB) Not downloaded yet
Turnpike_2.png
(7.82 MiB) Not downloaded yet
In the second photo, you will see famous landmark sights such as the towns of Eastwood and Clint located on opposite sides of the river. There is the Bay of Pigs, not to forget the beautiful Isle of Rudge which is found due west of the small village Trevor.
Attachments
Turnpike_Falls_Map.png
(177.3 KiB) Not downloaded yet
My Scenarios:
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

A first playthrough shows me that the game advances way too fast. I'm now up to the 1950s with diesels and electric trains. Sort of ruining the viiiibe. I could launch the game at an earlier date, or I could use a daylength patch. I will be thinking about this and releasing a new version shortly.
My Scenarios:
Comm Cody
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Comm Cody »

You could move the date back to the 1870s.

That would still retain the whole Wild West idea and give you 20 more years to build up your initial company.
Something goes here, hell if I know.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

The western American frontier ("Wild West" is a bit of a modern imagination) was largely the settling of territory west of the Mississippi River after 1850. The Pacific Railroad Act of 1862 marks the point where the government encouraged private capitalists to start building out railroad infrastructure on the West Coast to reach out towards the Central Plains and create a transcontinental railroad link across the nation. The link was completed in 1869, afterwards rapid urbanization and industrialization took place, first in the small urban areas that served as crossroads for the railroads and the various land route providers such as Western Union, Wells Fargo and Pony Express, then the West Coast proper as seaports were developed to engage in trade up and down the entire Pacific Ocean. Within 20 years urbanization had largely brought the western united States up to the same standards and class as the eastern United States. In 1890 the superintended for the US Census stated that there was no longer a "western frontier" aside from a few spots in the middle of the US that were still territories and were not as well organized as the rest of the nation.

Globally, 1870 represent the general start of the Second Industrial Revolution, technology and industry found synergy in advancing railroads, mining and manufacturing, and the start of industrial advancement for communication, electricity, petroleum, chemicals and the applied sciences.

I'd suggest that if you want to represent a more rough, challenging start to your scenario that you start it in 1850 or 1860. This will give you quite a bit of time to build infrastructure before the roaring '90s come along!
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Yeah, I think the 1860s sound fair. I still want to be in an age where there actually are trains fast enough to move from town to town. Moving the game earlier would encourage boats more, though, so that isn't an entirely bad idea.
My Scenarios:
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

First update to Turnpike Falls is now downloadable from the first post. This release changes the year from 1890 to 1860. I have added, removed, and resized several towns. Industries have been slightly more balanced, with some more difficult-to-reach industries providing a higher output.
My Scenarios:
oftcrash
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by oftcrash »

Squid has some nice paddle boats that would fit right in.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Squid is included in the scenario already. You didn't actually download it and check it out, eh? :wink:
My Scenarios:
Awesometrains
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Awesometrains »

CanStn.grf isn't on BaNaNaS or GRFCrawler.
Qa'pla!
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

As CanStd.grf is no longer available, any consideration of updating the scenario and including Auz Stations? :)

Return to “Scenarios and Saved Games”