[OTTD] The Great Escape

Post your custom scenarios here. Saved games also welcome. All Transport Tycoon games acceptable (including TTDPatch and OpenTTD).
Fuerfrost
Engineer
Engineer

[OTTD] The Great Escape

Post by Fuerfrost »

You know, all things considered, it was a good bunker. Had everything you'd think you'd need if you were planning on preparing for a five or so year stay underground in the event the worst comes to pass. Food? Check. Water? Check. AC? Yep. They said it would protect me from everything shy of a direct nuclear hit, and they were right. I didn't have a single problem with any of the aforementioned considerations.

You're probably wondering, "Well Bill, what the heck are you even doing up here in this rad-blasted wasteland?" I'll tell you. Heating. Those b****** didn't think to install a heater in the place! It's not called a nuclear **winter** for nothing! Yeah, a year ago this was a desert. Now, it's a cold desert. Real cold.
[+] Spoiler
So, here I am, my balls freezing to my thigh because ain't a single living soul in these parts has anything better than a light jacket. Okay, bad example. None of the dead ones have any either.
[+] Spoiler
At any rate, it's only a few hundred miles to make it to California. Surely it's a bit warmer that direction. Gotta be better than Eureka.
[+] Spoiler
Right?
[+] Spoiler
I guess, worst case scenario, we can head to the coast, find a boat, and head South. I'd bet Tahiti is nice this time of year.
[+] Spoiler

Your objective here is to make a functional network from Eureka, NV all the way to Fort Bragg, CA. IRL it's a little more than 500 miles of sprawling desert and seemingly random mountain ranges. However, this scenario takes place a couple years post-World War III, effectively turning the planet into a lovely ice cube. Resources are skimpy, food is sparse, and fresh water is very rare. I personally find this scenario to be very challenging.

Good luck and all feedback is welcome!

Download Link:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mfLG8T ... sp=sharing

Obligatory links to my other maps:
Iceworld: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=87060
Fallout Newkton: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=86994
Tectonic Wasteland: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=87015
New Beginnings: https://www.reddit.com/r/openttd/commen ... asochists/
Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Re: [OTTD] The Great Escape

Post by Andrew350 »

Love your scenarios, I'll definitely be trying it :)

I really need to get the Wasteland 0.7 release done...

EDIT: I just fired it up and one immediate thing I notice is that many primary industries (e.g. the water pumps at Fort Bragg and the farms in Willow/Glenn/Oroville, and probably more) all seem to be set to 0 production, so they close instantly. I doubt that's intended :)
Fuerfrost
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Fuerfrost »

Well, it kinda is. I'd really like them to stick around longer or indefinitely, but I can't seem to find a method to accomplish that feat. I want it to be like here is all this potential <RESOURCE> production, but due to the circumstances, it's not exactly cruising along at high speed. You, the player, can make it better or leave it to stagnate. But alas...
Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Andrew350 »

You could set the parameter "static primary industries" to make the industries stay open forever no matter what, but in that case they will also never change production, which makes 0 output useless.

The big problem here is that industry closures are a passive mechanic in OpenTTD; NewGRF essentially has no direct control over it. For primary industries it depends on production; if it drops below a certain threshold the industry will close. Secondary industries are even worse; they can close simply if they don't produce something.

It is possible to hack around this by making all industries an extracting type and then abuse the internal production mechanics only to control closures and instead using a separate bit of code to actually produce cargo, but it is kind of a pain to do, hence why nobody does it (at least as far as I know). I've toyed with the idea of doing that with Wasteland to give greater control over industries (including closures), but haven't had the motivation to actually dive down that rabbit hole yet.

Return to “Scenarios and Saved Games”