Great railway journeys of the world

Take a break from playing the game and chat here about real-world transportation issues!

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

DeletedUser21
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DeletedUser21 »

Me was with Purno from Amsterdam to Maastricht. Was fun! :)
Griff
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Griff »

The Bullet train has got to be a Great Railway Journey..not been on it yet. Though i went to york and saw the power car of a series 0 bullet train. Very nice.
Ukončete, prosím, výstup a nástup, dveře se zavírají
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Darkmast49 wrote:Best railway-journey I've had was from newcastle to edinburgh in my holiday last summer (w00t, forgot how to spell it :?). It took about 2-3 hours, and it was amazing :D
Hmm, there's some nice scenery I guess, but there is much nicer scenery in the Scottish highlands. Go for a trip on the West Highland Line if you can one day, absolutely beautiful.

Anyway, I lost my plans for my trans-siberian journey when my hard disk failed. Then I stuck the disk in the freezer and managed to retrieve the data. At the moment though, I'll just keep this project on the back-burner, and see how things are next year... and whether finances will allow this!
Griff
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Griff »

A nice travel on the ECML from London to Inverness on the Highland Chieften i think you should do orudge :wink:
Ukončete, prosím, výstup a nástup, dveře se zavírají
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle
Location: Sydney, Australia. Usually at work in the underground railway station...

Post by Raichase »

orudge wrote:and whether finances will allow this!
Read as: I spent all of your donations, and can't afford another holiday AND keeping the forums running.

;)
Posted by Raichase. Visit my Flickr! Gallery, Blog (get a feed of everyone at once at Planet TT-Forums).
Raichase - Perfect timing, all the time: [13:37] * Now talking in #tycoon
ImageImage
Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club
Official TT-Andel-in-a-pink-hat Fan Club
Martin
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Martin »

Carlisle to Newcastle is quite nice and scenic too (although it can seem to take a long time if you need to get somewhere, especially on the trains that stop at all the small stations)
:)
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Raichase wrote:Read as: I spent all of your donations, and can't afford another holiday AND keeping the forums running.
I wonder if anyone would respond to a "Holiday Fund" topic... ;)
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle
Location: Sydney, Australia. Usually at work in the underground railway station...

Post by Raichase »

orudge wrote:
Raichase wrote:Read as: I spent all of your donations, and can't afford another holiday AND keeping the forums running.
I wonder if anyone would respond to a "Holiday Fund" topic... ;)
I'd feel free to spam in it, as would anyone else nearby. ;)
Posted by Raichase. Visit my Flickr! Gallery, Blog (get a feed of everyone at once at Planet TT-Forums).
Raichase - Perfect timing, all the time: [13:37] * Now talking in #tycoon
ImageImage
Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club
Official TT-Andel-in-a-pink-hat Fan Club
Caelan
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Caelan »

For a book I'd refer to the Great Railway Bazaar by Paul Theroux. His trip from London to Asia and back inspired me to start ahead and plan train routes around the world.

I have already been crossing the Alps from Munich to Ljublijana, is recommended.

My next trip will be climbing the Andes in Peru by train. And of course the Trans Mongolia express to Beijing. Another trip, for future reference will be to Lhasa...
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

I'm planning on integrating the Lhasa trip into my general uber-trip next summer, if means do indeed allow!
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

I'm heard that the American Orient Express has some magnificent trips. They go on some of the most scenic tracks in the US, where there normally isn't any passenger service, and use all the classic old traincars. Very expen$$$ive though, it's designed for rich retired folks.

If you like steam trains, I read an article recently that Poland still has operating mainline steam freight and passenger trains - and some enterprising Brit cut a deal with the railway co., to allow tourists to come and DRIVE THEM for a week (with a real engineer and fireman always there, of course). Very cool, and not something you'd ever get a chance to do again.
Development Projects Site:
http://www.as-st.com/ttd
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Well, next summer the plan is to try to work, I think, money is tight. But, perhaps the summer after next...
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

I have no experiences of great Railway Journeys.. :P Would be the 20min long Arlanda Express then :lol:
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)

Return to “Real-World Transport Discussion”