[RFD] Idea for a new construction economy model

Archived discussions related to Transport Empire. Read-only access only.

Moderator: Transport Empire Moderators

DominionSpy
Tycoon
Tycoon

[RFD] Idea for a new construction economy model

Post by DominionSpy »

In TTD the decision to construct infrastructure such as railroad tracks, stations, airports, etc. is based on the amount of capital the player has (the amount of cash in the bank + loan). Generally this leads to players spending all their money on one train line between two cities or industries and waiting until the service creates enough to construct a new line.

I have an idea for a slightly different system. Instead of construction being based on capital, it would be based on cash flow (how much money is going in and coming out). The player would not construct a service in the same way as TTD where all the construction is immediate, but the placing of track or stations would only be a plan of the construction. Once the player approves the plan and has been given persmission by the local authorities, the construction begins. The construction would be done at a constant rate so that there is always a set amount of money being spent on it in any particular month.

Once the construction is complete, the player would buy his rollingstock. This could be an immediate purchase or it could be bought in installments to reinforce the cash flow idea. The advantages I see from this system is that the player is more aware of their cash flow and can more easily see when there is a problem. Also the construction is a little more realistic, with it being built sequentially over a period of time.

Some problems with the system are that people may not grasp the concept of using cash flow as a guide rather than capital and that the planning/construction mechanisims need some care to implement.
You're saying I'm a Dominion spy, and don't even know it! - Dr. Bashir
That's the Joker in my avatar, not me. No wait it is me.
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

In the beginning of the game people won't have any cash flow.

And besides, if it'll be constructed as fast as you get money, than what's the use of having loads of money?

btw, I do like your idea of an unimmediate construction.
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Steve
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Steve »

The staggered construction is OK, but I'd prefer the having A LOT of money situation. What we could do, is allow the loan you take out, to be dependant on your current empire. So if the bank sees you have a profitable coal line and you are therefore good for the cash, they'll give you some. And that's realistic too.. I think.

Utimately, you could just throw more cash at a construction in order to build it faster, you'd also need to consider that if you built many small lines, without extra programming they'd all be built slowly, but independantly, rather than one section at a time. Depending on what you're building, that might be a good thing.
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

And staggered construction was in the FRD, we decided to go for it. Quite interesting idea, DominionSpy.

Purno: people don't have money in TTD, where things are quite expensive in the early years, especially given the maximum loan size. It would pay off to make a through investigation in the actual costs of thing in those days and make that the basis of the starting loan. That might (not guaranteed) meet with DS's suggestion to make cash flow the center of constructing.

Topic locked, the Design Document favours the TTD approach for the economical part. "Staggered" construction is already in (12112006).

Return to “Transport Empire Development Archive”