[WebR] Layouts

Archived discussions related to Transport Empire. Read-only access only.

Moderator: Transport Empire Moderators

Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

[WebR] Layouts

Post by Zuu »

Okay. Now we are prepered to start thinking about the layout of the website.

I recommendate everyone who want to think and/or create a layout to read the [WebR] topics so that you know what the requirements are. Currently I am to lazy to sum it up here, but I'll provide you with links.

Most important is to read the conclusions, and voting results.

[WebR] How serious should we go with the website?
[WebR] Who are the target users?

[WebR] Which functions/pages should it provide
[WebR] Level of compatibility (with browsers/standards)
[WebR] How shall the site be hosted?
[WebR] What techniques exist? html,xml,css,php,javascript..
[WebR] Which existing web software can we use?

[WebR] What do we want to say with our design?

--

What shall a layout include? I do have some ideas, but I wait with them, and let you post yours. (also I am saving on typing. :) )
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)
Grunt
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Grunt »

This may be stating the obvious, but the heading of the page should have a distinctly "Transport Empire" logo or design that will immediately identify the website for what it is. Potentially this logo could also serve in some capacity as the logo for the game's splash screen (or vice versa!).
Grunt
(aka Stephan Grunt, CEO of Grunt Transport Inc. since 1994.)
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

Good point.

If somebody wants to start working with a logo or anything else, I suggest that you create a seperate thread for that.
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
PJayTycy
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by PJayTycy »

I'll first try to get a little structure in everything we need on the website (as decided in this thread).

News
# News about the project

Screenshots
# Link to SF screenshots page OR a screenshots gallery.

Download
# Link to SF download page OR our own download page

Development
# Link to prototypes
# A progress bar (example: 89% of the FRD is done)
# Link to the dictionary where minute logs and minutes are stored.
# Link to the wiki
# A link to the devlopers list on SF.net

Forums
# Link to tt-forums

About
# Info about the project

Code: Select all

<------------------------------------->
<---------------Logo------------------>
<------------------------------------->
<-----------Navigation Bar------------>
=======================================
ABOUT                [****************]
                     [*****screen*****]
small text           [******shot******]
                     [****************]
NEWS ITEM

Long text about what happend last time we did
something worth to put on the website.
(date) (name) (read more)

NEWS ITEM

Long text about what happend second last time
we did something worth to put on the website.
(date) (name) (read more)

[SF.net logo]

Navigation bar should then include:

home - news - screenshots - download - development - forums - about

Ofcourse there should be a log-in link somewhere too.
Grunt
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Grunt »

Comment - the navigation bar could be down one of the sides as opposed to at the top of the page.
Grunt
(aka Stephan Grunt, CEO of Grunt Transport Inc. since 1994.)
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

Or both if the homepage becomes so 'long' that a scrollbar appears to the right. I hope we stay far from bright colours, especially for the background colour. As for the logo we can either try to incorporate all vehicle types in the logo or just some of them and perhaps add some industrial building/station in the logo.
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

PJayTycy wrote:I'll first try to get a little structure in everything we need on the website (as decided in this thread).
Thanks!

A sidenote: I dont have internet at home this and next week.
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

Grunt wrote:Comment - the navigation bar could be down one of the sides as opposed to at the top of the page.
Are there any (strong) arguments for or against either top menu or side menu?

---

Shall we pick a layout and implement, or shall we do futher research before that?
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

Pick layout seems OK to me.
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

zuu wrote: Are there any (strong) arguments for or against either top menu or side menu?
At a side menu the lines in the main window are shorter, which is easier to read, IMO.
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

Hyronymus wrote:I hope we stay far from bright colours, especially for the background colour.
Any specific reason?
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

Yes, bright background colours aren't comfortable reading. If you choose 'earth colours' you might convince people to actually read what's written on the page instead of saturating their occupital lobe with colour.
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

I think it's best to use light background with dark text... IMO that's the best text to read.
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jfs »

IMO it's most comfortable reading dark text on a light background.

Also, webdesign experts largely agree that light backgrounds are better, since dark backgrounds create a dark mood. So unless that's what you're actually aiming for, don't do it. And I doubt it's a dark mood we want to create :P
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

I don't disagree as long everyone sees the difference between light and bright colours :).
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jfs »

Actually, when I say "light" I mean "very close to pure white", which is what's usually recommended. Pure white being best. Of course a sharp yellow would be bad, it's bright but not comfortable for the eyes.
But light colors on dark tend to strain the eyes more, I think.
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

This weekend I have altered an layout that I have made a bit to come up with an suggestion.

However please notice that the css must be tweeked, since the colors are probably totaly wrong.

This demo have one file resources/layout.php that have all xhtml exept the content. The content is stored in different files. As this is just a demo, I have only created one content file, home.php.

The idea is that the user ask for home.php that difines a few variables and a funcion. Then it includes resources/layout.php which outputs all xhtml to the spot where the content should be included. Then it calls the function that home.php have declared, which outputs the contents. And when it returns resources/layout.php continues to output the rest of its xhtml.

The nice thing with this variant is that the content files become clean enoght so that users without skills in php can edit them if we just put some comments in them. Also each page will get its own URL, which makes it more user- and spider friendly.

But if we want it should not be imposible to store the contents in a database. But then everyone will be limited to browser editing, which is very limited compared to vi/emacs.

Make sure that you look at it both with css enabled and dissabled.
Attachments
layout2.tar.gz
(84.85 KiB) Downloaded 163 times
layout2_with_css.png
layout2_with_css.png (143.96 KiB) Viewed 732 times
layout2_without_css.png
layout2_without_css.png (96.51 KiB) Viewed 724 times
Last edited by Zuu on 26 Jun 2005 10:19, edited 1 time in total.
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Do you also have a .zip file?
Image Image
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

Purno wrote:Do you also have a .zip file?
Nope, but, I'll create one. :)
Attachments
layout2.zip
New version, now with the files!
(84.99 KiB) Downloaded 120 times
Last edited by Zuu on 26 Jun 2005 10:43, edited 1 time in total.
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

The zip only contains empty folders, according to my pc...
Image Image

Return to “Transport Empire Development Archive”