new developer - offering graphical engine

Archived discussions related to Transport Empire. Read-only access only.

Moderator: Transport Empire Moderators

Darkvater
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Darkvater »

Next week I will present you a fully operational graphicsdemo containing the following features:
Yes, looks like last week is still a far time away :|
TrueLight: "Did you bother to read any of the replies, or you just pressed 'Reply' and started typing?"
<@[R-Dk]FoRbiDDeN> "HELP, this litte arrow thing keeps following my mouse, and I can't make it go away."
Alltaken
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Alltaken »

well i think he got so much negative crit that he left.

i was hoping he had the thread on email alert or somthing.

Alltaken
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

you guys on about This?
Monti
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Monti »

Hi everyone,

I'm not really gone. But I looked into other projects because I've the feeling most of the guys want to have a 3D-engine and/or in C++. Because I'm only good at java and have no experience in 3D, I thougt its nothing for me.

Now I'm looking again into this forums and doesn't see any advance in programming. Why do you want to create such a perfect design document or discuss endless about small things like the user interface? Like station direction? If its not absolutely needed, we should see later if its possible. If we say now yes to diagonal stations, who want to/is able to program such a monster requirement book?

best regards
jan
Arathorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Arathorn »

I had my questions about the design document too, but it's finished now anyway. I still want a 3d engine though. After all, we have a lot of 2D TTD remakes, we have the Patch, OpenTTD and Locomotion already, so I don't see the use in TE if it's not 3D (and we started this because 3DTT had so many legal problems that we'll prolly never see it released in full glory).
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

Monti wrote:Why do you want to create such a perfect design document or discuss endless about small things like the user interface? Like station direction? If its not absolutely needed, we should see later if its possible. If we say now yes to diagonal stations, who want to/is able to program such a monster requirement book?
Possibly true but the lassez-faire attitude of 'let's see if it's possible' will most definetly not result in a game at all. Sooner or later people will start arguing if it should be included so why not argue about it now and commit ourselves to it now?
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Hyronymus wrote:Sooner or later people will start arguing if it should be included so why not argue about it now and commit ourselves to it now?
TBH, I don't have the idea TE is progressing much. :roll:
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

Now you make it look like I do think TE is progressing well enough. But the reality is that after the first code(r) was lost the people interested in TE realized they might need a Design Document. Reaching that point took about 6 months already. Now we're 1,5 years further from then and we do have a basic DD but only 1 person is writing it so you can't expect miracles to happen. And in the mean time we had another period of inactivity (lastiing about 3 months) due to the departure of yet another important member. So practicly there have been activity in 11 of the ~24 months.

It's funny btw how many people 'know' where the problems arise and how few people actually help out in this kind of sparetime projects.
Monti
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Monti »

Hyronymus wrote:It's funny btw how many people 'know' where the problems arise and how few people actually help out in this kind of sparetime projects.
Hey, I've written a complete engine to show that its possible to build in 2 month a proof of concept. I think I have not shown problems but a solution (of course with drawbacks). But I dont want to inflate a document which will be changed completely after the first code lines. I want to code and have fun in my spare time.

With a "perfect" DD you will not get the perfect solution. Additional the DD will never be complete because a DD will change during development.
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Hyronymus wrote:It's funny btw how many people 'know' where the problems arise and how few people actually help out in this kind of sparetime projects.
What do you expect me to do then?

I can't code, I have no expierence in Design Docs or whatever, I can't model 3D object good enough, my website design was dissaproved, people disagree with me on the logo thing. :( *

I try to be at the meetings, finding something useful I can do, but meanwhile, that something has to be fun to do also, because this is a hobby project.

So, what do you (or anybody else) expect me to do?

* yes I do feel sad
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

I don't expect anyone to volunteer for things he/she can't perform, that would be ridiculous. I always hope that people keep a realistic view on things though. That's really all (no Catch 22 even).
Arathorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Arathorn »

Wat we need is maybe more devs, people who can actually code. Unfortunatly, I can't.
lobster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lobster »

Arathorn wrote:Wat we need is maybe more devs, people who can actually code. Unfortunatly, I can't.
and there's someone popping our right under your nose with a good-looking engine, volunteering to take quite a load from your backs. personally, if i was Monti, i'd look around and see if there's interest to create something from his long-worked-on engine (i know i am), instead of waiting for your indecisiveness about it being 3D or not, or following the DD or not.

i'm not saying anything bad, but this is my viewpoint, after silently following this.
"Your mother was a lobster, and your father... was also a lobster" -- The rascal formerly known as astath -- Last.fm -- Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club

<orudge> make love to me while I surf, dear lobster
Arathorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Arathorn »

The problem with this developer and his engine is that it is 2D, and the very idea of this project is to make a 3D remake of TTD similar to 3DTT. There are already plenty of 2D projects like this, such as OTTD or Lomo.
Jan
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Jan »

3DTT was at least published and even after claiming "to be Alfa or Beta release", still it was a superior game to Locomotion. TE didn't move any direction for more than year. All discussion is about how to paint the house, everybody wants this or that color. And one came and start to prime the house and we pushed him away. And other came and offer the same and we just talk and talk more. Now 3DTT got offer to be published again, if the work will be finished in one year frame. You want 3D game? Stop bickering about the "color" and give a hand to Peter, Monti and the others, who do something more than b.........t. They already primed the house!
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

Monti primed a 2D, javabased house. Not a 3D, multiplatform house. I don't mind if people show their concerns about progress but this is gradually heading to something else. If you read my previous post in this topic you would've known what caused the past delays.

And just 1 more time (no, I'm not getting tired of it): Monti did it all alone, Peter Debrovka started all alone and soon found a professional network behind him. We however started with many, lost a few key persons and do all this in our spare time.

If you think you can do better: proof it.
If you think TE will never be released: I don't mind (even if it will never be released we had fun and most definetly learned something).
PJayTycy
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by PJayTycy »

That's true, all other projects you mention were started by 1 person, who then found other supporters for it.

In such a case it's not difficult to start a game, you don't have to discuss things or think about what you'll do. You just building the game exactly like the game you have in mind.

The problem with this group is, there is not yet a "game in our mind". Sure, all of us have a game in our mind, but it will be very different from one person to an other. We are trying to find the exact specs for the game so we can all agree on it.

Ofcourse you could try to start programming the game you want, then come to this forum and ask us to join you in creating your game. Well, it's only logical if "your game" differs a lot from what we are discussing here we won't jump the wagon. It's not like we are just waiting here for someone to give us something to do with our spare time.

Sorry if this sounds a little harsh, but unlike Hyronymous, I am getting tired of people who only complain they don't see progress
On holiday from 16/07 till 31/07
the kitchen sink
Engineer
Engineer

Post by the kitchen sink »

Have any of you looked at the spring engine, as example of what can be done in open Gl, admittedly it was created for an RTS game however it can load 3d models created by third parties and is released under the GNU/GPL

http://taspring.clan-sy.com
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

It's an interesting read for sure. Curious what the 'experts' think of it. The license would fit our project btw.

Topic locked, Transport Empire will use the TRoS engine (13112006).

Return to “Transport Empire Development Archive”