[RFD] Sharing of infrastructure

Development discussion about Transport Empire. Other discussion to General forum please.

Moderator: Transport Empire Moderators

Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

Who says you won't play with AI competition when you play a SP game?
Hellfire
Transport Empire Developer

Post by Hellfire »

zuu wrote:Perhaps you Hellfire or Chris can create a poll in this topic.
Sorry... I've been busy the last couple of days. The poll in a new topic is probably a better idea anyway. The results and a decision can be evaluated in that topic.

I don't know whether I should lock the topics or not... I don't know if people can still vote in locked topics.

I could make them sticky if you'd like.
Feel free to contact me over Email! My current timezone: Europe/Amsterdam (GMT+1 or GMT+2)

Code: Select all

+------------Oo.------+
| Transport Empire -> |
+---------------------+
[ General TE Discussion ] [ TE Development ] [ TE Coding ]
Under construction...
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

Can't you try locking them and se what it does to voting? I'm sure you can unlock them too ;).
Hellfire

Post by Hellfire »

I can, but I already voted.

I'll add a test topic. Ok?

Edit: just tested it. A poll in a locked topic will be closed as well.
Feel free to contact me over Email! My current timezone: Europe/Amsterdam (GMT+1 or GMT+2)

Code: Select all

+------------Oo.------+
| Transport Empire -> |
+---------------------+
[ General TE Discussion ] [ TE Development ] [ TE Coding ]
Under construction...
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

Seems we'll have to wait for phpBB 2.99 to get that option ;). Good to see noone had the urge to post in the poll topics.
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

Hyronymus wrote:Who says you won't play with AI competition when you play a SP game?
no one, but as difficult it is to make a good AI I think it is a bonus if we manage to create a good AI not something to except. Are you sure that it will be possible to ask the AI to use his track?
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

I only hope so, also with an eye on the approach we choose for MP games and the AI. Somewhere we decided that the AI joins SP games as if it was another human player in a MP game. If this infrastructure sharing feature makes it to the DD it would be nice to have the AI using it efficiently too.
DominionSpy
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DominionSpy »

I have an idea regarding this that might be a little simpler to understand and to manage.

First, the charging system is the same as mentioned before - charges are automatically collected on a tile by tile basis, with the charge being a fixed rate linked to inflation. Perhaps there may be different charges for the state of a track (how well maintained it is, whether it's electrified or not), but that's not important.

My idea has to do with how you arrange to use another player's track. The idea is that you request access rights to sections of track. One section is a stretch of track from one station to another (with no other stations along the way). This is the base request - if you just do this, you can't stop at their stations. There would then be 2 add-on requests: one to get station usage rights (an extra cost per station visit) and the other to get connection rights (a one-off payment to be able to connect your track to theirs).

Attached are stages of an example in TTD. The first picture shows Company 1 (in blue) with 2 stations and a line between them. Company 2 (in green) has built a station (although he needn't have done that) and wants to connect it to Company 1, Station 1.

The second picture shows a mock-up of the Access Rights dialogue. Here you can see the 2 add-on options. Only station usage rights is selected at the moment, but since Company 2 wants to use Company 1, Station 1 and connect his line with Company 1s, he needs to select Request connection rights too.
This picture also shows Company 2 selecting the section he wishes to request access to. Note that Company 2 won't be using all of the section from Company1, Station 1 to Station 2, but he needs to request access to the whole section.

The third picture shows the connected network once the rights have been granted. Notice that although Company 2 built the actual junction peice, the track belongs to Company 1.
Attachments
sharing3.png
sharing3.png (8.53 KiB) Viewed 7573 times
sharing2_rev.png
sharing2_rev.png (8.31 KiB) Viewed 7574 times
sharing1.png
sharing1.png (7 KiB) Viewed 7573 times
You're saying I'm a Dominion spy, and don't even know it! - Dr. Bashir
That's the Joker in my avatar, not me. No wait it is me.
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

About the last picture, which company has to take care of the signals at the junction?
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
DominionSpy
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DominionSpy »

Purno wrote:About the last picture, which company has to take care of the signals at the junction?
Since Company 2 is making the junction, then he has to construct the signals, but once constructed I would say that any signals on the blue track then belong to Company 1 and they must take care of them. Any signals on the green track should be the responsibility of Company 2.
You're saying I'm a Dominion spy, and don't even know it! - Dr. Bashir
That's the Joker in my avatar, not me. No wait it is me.
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

It makes sense to charge the company who wants to use existing competitors track with the costs of building signals.
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

But when the junction constructed will get busier over time, who will upgrade the junction (make it double tracked, change signals into presignals or pbs-signals, etc)? The tracks of both companies are part of the junction...
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

That's simple: the first company to make double track.
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

So both companies can build on both company's tracks?
Image Image
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

Yes, of course. Only thing you have to bear in mind is that building on other competitor's track costs money.
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

That would solve the problems indeed.
Image Image
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

Interesting, this never made it to a vote! I suggest we put this on the agenda for tomorrow, right?

Locked until the DD discussion arrives at this issue.

Return to “Transport Empire Development”