[FRDF] Game controls

Development discussion about Transport Empire. Other discussion to General forum please.

Moderator: Transport Empire Moderators

ChrisCF
Transport Empire Developer

Post by ChrisCF »

jfs wrote:
zuu wrote:As ChrisCF stated, everything should be doable via the keybord.
I wonder, could a requirement like this work? "The game must be fully playable on a computer where the only input device is a Happy Hacking keyboard." Or is that too strict?
That depends - you can perform just about every keystroke possible on a 102-key board as on the HH board (just that some of the "claws" are a little different, and possibly awkward - is it two buttons to achieve the equivalent of "F1"?).

I can live without the middle button on my mouse - thank $DEITY for 3-button emulation.

Ultimately, it comes down to what people can reasonably do. It's not reasonable to ask people to go spend £50 on a multimedia keyboard to use the "Internet Home Page" button to retrn the view to your company HQ. Though it's fairly reasonable to expect people to trade in their Mac mouse for a real mouse*, as cheap as they are. Mate of mine is a Mac lover - the first thing he did when he bought one recently was buy a 2-button mouse for it.

The important part is that the game can be played with primary control through mouse or keyboard with a minimum of forced switching. Players with both hands at keyboard should not have to reach for the mouse too often, and neither should those with one hand each on keyboard or mouse have to pull both hands to the keyboard, away from the mouse.

The console can be a very powerful tool, but (with the possible exception of obscure features, like direct engine access) nothing should be entirely reliant upon it. However, it will prove useful for testing, as well as for advanced users looking to generate macro packages. Just because you can't drive, don't make the rest of us walk. ;)

* Better still, trade in the Mac for a real computer :P
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

I can agree on to put 2-buttons minimum requrement for the miouse. However I would prefere it the mouce buttons can be mapped to any keybord key. Or at least use alt + left click as menu click (aka right click) which is the way apple does.

I think a good way of maping hardware input devices and software actions are important. To take a example: The biggest reson I see to play OpenTTD over TTDP is that you can use the keybord to select tools, which makes construction faster and less trying for your mouse arm.

I think ergonomy is important, which I think this is mostly about. To choose what is most confortable for you. Becuse games aquire input directly from the hardwarte, overiding the settings your window manager provides, we have to provide some flexibility for the users.

Other things that is not mentioned here, but that I have noticed that users have complained about is that the mouse sensibility is also overriden, so if you have a settting that differs much from the default you will probably be pretty anoyed.
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)
Grunt
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Grunt »

zuu wrote:Becuse games aquire input directly from the hardwarte, overiding the settings your window manager provides, we have to provide some flexibility for the users.
Exactly; we have no way of knowing what the control setup of users' window manangers would be and if we don't allow users to change their controls it is eventually going to lead to some conflict. If nothing else, we should be going for it for this reason alone.
Grunt
(aka Stephan Grunt, CEO of Grunt Transport Inc. since 1994.)
Hellfire

Post by Hellfire »

Let's make a poll out of this. (Because else, this dicussion will never end ;) )

User controls:
  1. Customizable, with as minimum requirement a two button mouse or a one button mouse with a key on the keyboard selecting LMB or RMB.
  2. Fixed controls
I vote (a).
Feel free to contact me over Email! My current timezone: Europe/Amsterdam (GMT+1 or GMT+2)

Code: Select all

+------------Oo.------+
| Transport Empire -> |
+---------------------+
[ General TE Discussion ] [ TE Development ] [ TE Coding ]
Under construction...
ChrisCF

Post by ChrisCF »

Antoher vote for (a), specifying two-button mouse as minimum.
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jfs »

Fixed controls would be downright stupid. Pretty much every new game allows a very high degree of controller-customisation, and people have grown used to that. I doubt anybody would really accept not being able to customise the controls (without recompiling the game.)

I vote A.
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

I vote A.
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Steve
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Steve »

Not much of a poll... everyone is obviously going to say A, as it has no disadvantages to the player!

I think my minutes summarised quite nicely what we decided in the meeting and what everyone can agree too. (Well, except maybe Chris)
Hellfire

Post by Hellfire »

Steve wrote:Not much of a poll... everyone is obviously going to say A, as it has no disadvantages to the player!
I know. It was mostly an attempt to end this topic in a very unnatural way. I'll read the minutes later today.
Feel free to contact me over Email! My current timezone: Europe/Amsterdam (GMT+1 or GMT+2)

Code: Select all

+------------Oo.------+
| Transport Empire -> |
+---------------------+
[ General TE Discussion ] [ TE Development ] [ TE Coding ]
Under construction...
Steve
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Steve »

Meeting Decisions:

- Should be customizable.
- Shortcuts for building options.
- Needs to support mice with just 2 buttons
- Standard window controls, such as tab to switch between buttons
- Shortcuts to everything for people with limited horizontal mobility
- Additional console for advanced control. But shouldn't be forced.

[There's more to it than "keyboard freaks", some people have genuine problems - C.]
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

Nothing decided about scrolling, do we want it to be automatic once you reach the border (handy when constructing).
XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by XeryusTC »

I want the following methods for scrolling:
- Scroll when touching the border
- Hold right mouse and scroll
- Use the arrow keys

I didn't read the entire topic, only Hyro's resurecting
Don't panic - My YouTube channel - Follow me on twitter (@XeryusTC) - Play Tribes: Ascend - Tired of Dropbox? Try SpiderOak (use this link and we both get 1GB extra space)
OpenTTD: manual #openttdcoop: blog | wiki | public server | NewGRF pack | DevZone
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
m4rek
Chairman
Chairman

Post by m4rek »

i dont want to scroll by RMB, that might best be used for rotating camera and such (it is full 3d isnt it?)
Toyland isn't a climate, it's a mistake.
Everyone has a photographic memory - Some just don't have film
No matter how hard life gets, remember there is always light at the end of the tunnel. Let's just hope it's not a train.
XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by XeryusTC »

M4rek wrote:i dont want to scroll by RMB, that might best be used for rotating camera and such (it is full 3d isnt it?)
I am used to the following for 3D movement:
- Scroll wheel for zooming in/out.
- Holding scroll wheel/3rd mouse button for rotating.
- Holding the right mouse button for scrolling.
Don't panic - My YouTube channel - Follow me on twitter (@XeryusTC) - Play Tribes: Ascend - Tired of Dropbox? Try SpiderOak (use this link and we both get 1GB extra space)
OpenTTD: manual #openttdcoop: blog | wiki | public server | NewGRF pack | DevZone
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

XeryusTC wrote:I want the following methods for scrolling:
- Scroll when touching the border
- Hold right mouse and scroll
- Use the arrow keys

I didn't read the entire topic, only Hyro's resurecting
Agreed, the 'touching the border' one should be optional IMO.
I am used to the following for 3D movement:
- Scroll wheel for zooming in/out.
- Holding scroll wheel/3rd mouse button for rotating.
- Holding the right mouse button for scrolling.
I'd also use something like - or +, or PgUp or PgDn to zoom in or out.
Usually whenever you need or can rotate in 3D games, I'd not an advantage. I'd rather have a fixed camera, tho rotating could be optional (tho, not necessary to play game game, IMO).
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
aarona
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by aarona »

Touching the border can be irksome if its accidental. With holding the RMB down, you are removing any accident.

Of course the more options the merrier!
m4rek
Chairman
Chairman

Post by m4rek »

aarona wrote:Touching the border can be irksome if its accidental. With holding the RMB down, you are removing any accident.

so we can have a small padlock icon in the corner somewhere that disables mouse scrolling?

and to go with it an icon where you can modify scrolling settings. ie, scroll speed, disable/ enable mouse scroll etc.
Toyland isn't a climate, it's a mistake.
Everyone has a photographic memory - Some just don't have film
No matter how hard life gets, remember there is always light at the end of the tunnel. Let's just hope it's not a train.
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

aarona wrote:Touching the border can be irksome if its accidental. With holding the RMB down, you are removing any accident.

Not to mention that border-touching require relative mouse input.

Locked until the DD discussion arrives at this issue.

Return to “Transport Empire Development”