How to insert grf into the game?

Talk about the sequel to the original TT, Transport Tycoon Deluxe.
stasky
Engineer
Engineer

How to insert grf into the game?

Post by stasky »

First sorry for my english...
i'm new here and i want to insert some graphics into the game.
like this: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?t=8919

which programs/tools i need and how to do?

Thank you for your help!
Pookey
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Pookey »

First you need to download the GRF you want. You can search for GRF's at http://grfcrawler.tt-forums.net/ . When you have them you need to put them in your Newgrf folder (C:/Program Files/TTD/Newgrf/ replace everything before Newgrf with where you have ttd installed). Then open notepad and type newgrf/xxxxxxx.grf where x is the name of the grf you have placed in the notepad file. Save the file as newgrf.cfg . Before you start a new game, under options is a new grf button. Ensure the grf's you want have a green box next to them (if it's red they won't be on).
Posted by Pookey...

For Information on TTD Patch Click Here
For Information on Building a Network (FAST) Click Here
For Information on Building a Network as a Challenge (SLOW) Click Here
For Help on the Different Signalling Types Click Here
Before Asking a Question, Please use the Forums Search Function Here and if you do Ask a Question, Please Provide as much Detail as Possible.
If you do not get a Crash Log when TTDPatch Crashes, Follow the Olly Debug Instructions Here and Post the Resulting Screenshot with your Problem.

stasky
Engineer
Engineer

Post by stasky »

ok i done this:

installed TTD into dir: "C:\MPS\TTWin95"
installed OpenTTD ver 5.0 RC5 into dir: "C:\Program Files\OpenTTD"

copied files "newgrf[w].cfg" (containing "newgrf/usstats[w].grf") and "usstats[w].grf" into the "C:\MPS\TTWin95\Newgrf"

Started the game with OpenTTD.exe

clicked on NewGRF Settings and there is nothing to add...

a also tried copying this files into the directory of OpenTTD instead of the C:\MPS\TTWin95 directory.

But still nothing...

i don't understand what i'am doing wrong... could someone help me?
Pookey
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Pookey »

Open TTD works differently to TTD Patch, so some grf's don't work in open ttd and the way of adding grf's is different. Also, you need to have Open TTD in the same directory as TTD.
Posted by Pookey...

Before Asking a Question, Please use the Forums Search Function Here and if you do Ask a Question, Please Provide as much Detail as Possible.
If you do not get a Crash Log when TTDPatch Crashes, Follow the Olly Debug Instructions Here and Post the Resulting Screenshot with your Problem.

stasky
Engineer
Engineer

Post by stasky »

but if i install openttd into the same dir as TTD it says something about an error...

ok let's do it in a different way... can you tell me what version of ttd i have to download and what addons to make it working?

do i need only TTD or something else?
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

have you got ttdpatch. For openttd the grfs need to be in the openttd data folder
Formerly known as r0b0t_b0y2003, robotboy, roboboy and beclawat. The best place to get the most recent nightly builds of TTDPatch is: http://roboboy.users.tt-forums.net/TTDPatch/nightlies/
Pookey
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Pookey »

you can get TTDPatch from http://www.ttdpatch.net/ and get beta 9.
Posted by Pookey...

CMircea
Chairman
Chairman

Post by CMircea »

Pookey wrote:Open TTD works differently to TTD Patch, so some grf's don't work in open ttd and the way of adding grf's is different. Also, you need to have Open TTD in the same directory as TTD.
No. I will explain. First install TTD anywhere you want. Then start the OTTD instal, give it the path to the TTD folder when it asks, and after the installation finishes, you can delete TTD.

Then, put any new GRF files in the data folder of the place you installed OTTD. Start it and lick on Newgrf Settings. If nothing shows up, click Rescan for files. If something appear, click on it, then click add. Do this for every newgrf you want, then click Apply. That's it.
Pookey
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Pookey »

Desolator wrote:
Pookey wrote:Open TTD works differently to TTD Patch, so some grf's don't work in open ttd and the way of adding grf's is different. Also, you need to have Open TTD in the same directory as TTD.
No. I will explain. First install TTD anywhere you want. Then start the OTTD instal, give it the path to the TTD folder when it asks, and after the installation finishes, you can delete TTD.

Then, put any new GRF files in the data folder of the place you installed OTTD. Start it and lick on Newgrf Settings. If nothing shows up, click Rescan for files. If something appear, click on it, then click add. Do this for every newgrf you want, then click Apply. That's it.
Thanks for correcting me. I've only ever played Open TTD a couple of times.
Posted by Pookey...

stasky
Engineer
Engineer

Post by stasky »

thakn you all, i installed TTD and OpenTTD then deleted TTD and now it's working, when i insert *.grf in the DATA dir i can apply in the game... before i always copied grf files into Newgrf folder and not in DATA...

OK Thanks, now let's play! :D
bwong
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Re: How to insert grf into the game?

Post by bwong »

i tried everything which you said, but i still couldn't get the grf files onto my game
i use openttd 0.6.3, on windows
i would be glad if you could descride each step in more detail for me
thank you
Check out some of my work
Benny
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: How to insert grf into the game?

Post by Benny »

Put every grf file you want in the game in the DATA folder which is in your OpenTTD folder.
When done, you can enable them in "Newgrf Settings" in the main menu.

Return to “Transport Tycoon Deluxe”