[HOWTO]Add things to Road, Normal Gauge & Narrow Gauge?

Got problems with Locomotion? Find assistance here!

Moderator: Locomotion Moderators

Tattoo
Director
Director

Re: [HOWTO]Add things to Road, Normal Gauge & Narrow Gauge?

Post by Tattoo » 11 Apr 2014 15:25

And you've been doing this how long EDS? You'll confuse him with that explanation. Geez. I'll explain it to him. We'll use trackst.dat as an example.

To decompile it, you drop it onto locotool.exe. After that, you will have the original trackst.dat + a trackst.xml + a folder named trackst with all the sprites in it.
After you make your changes to the trackst.xml you'll want to recompile it by dropping the trackst.xml onto locotool.exe.
After you do that, you get a NEW trackst.dat AND the original trackst.dat is renamed to trackst.bak.
So now you'll have a trackst.dat AND a trackst.bak and it doesn't matter how many times you recompile a new one, the trackst.bak will always be the original one. I just checked that to make sure.

If you ever need the original trackst.dat, you would remove any others and just rename the trackst.bak to trackst.dat and you'll have the original trackst.dat that you started with.

Now there's an better way to use locotool without having to copy it to the objdata folder or any other folder you're working with. Place locotool.exe and locotool.dll into it's own folder. Then create a shortcut for it and take that shortcut and place it into the Send To folder in Windows. This is the path to it - Users\yourusername\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo - this way, when you want to decompile or recompile you would just select the .dat or .xml and right-click, Send To, and select the Locotool shortcut. It works and I've used it myself. You can also set locotool to be the default program to open .dat files by double-clicking it. When you double-click a .dat file, a window should pop up asking what you want to do, Use the web service or select a program from a list. You would select a program from a list and goto where locotool.exe is and select it and make sure it's checked to Always use the selected program to open this kind of file. Then you can just double-click a .dat file and it'll decompile it without having to fuss with it but you owuld still have to use the Send To shortcut to recompile it.

I hope this helps you to understand this now.
Last edited by Tattoo on 11 Apr 2014 15:42, edited 1 time in total.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
: : = FYRA v250 = : : = AU NSW 86 Class Electric Locomotive = : : = AU QR EDI Bombadier IMU/SMU Trainset = : : = B-Class & VicPass = : : = MSTS Scotsman = : : = US Semi Trucks Pack = : :
: : = Steel Bridge = : : = Tube Bridge = : : = 2 New Earth Slopes = : : = Default Bridges w/ New Slopes added = : : = Camera Angles for Shape Viewer = : : = EU Semi Trucks Pack = : : = US Tank Cars 56' = : :
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Tattoo
Director
Director

Post by Tattoo » 11 Apr 2014 15:43

Zakos wrote:To sum it up (because I know from experience how much new users hate reading long posts), the original .dat file has already been updated. You can tell by hovering over it to see when it was last modified.
Yep, but if they don't want to read then they obviously don't want to learn...
: : = FYRA v250 = : : = AU NSW 86 Class Electric Locomotive = : : = AU QR EDI Bombadier IMU/SMU Trainset = : : = B-Class & VicPass = : : = MSTS Scotsman = : : = US Semi Trucks Pack = : :
: : = Steel Bridge = : : = Tube Bridge = : : = 2 New Earth Slopes = : : = Default Bridges w/ New Slopes added = : : = Camera Angles for Shape Viewer = : : = EU Semi Trucks Pack = : : = US Tank Cars 56' = : :

Illegal_Alien
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Illegal_Alien » 15 Apr 2014 19:54

Emperor Darth Sidious wrote:A BAK.File is simply the new DAT.file (and I guess it's also a backup-file of the original one, but not sure about that. That's why I also make a backup of the file that I'm editing)...But to save your XML.file as a new DAT.file you must first remove the un-edited one.

So when you drop (for example) Trackst.DAT on Locotool, the picture and the XML.file is created. Next, remove the Trackst.DAT that you dropped onto locotool. Do your editing with the XML.file (or the pictures). Then drop the Trackst.XML file on the Locotool and voila your new Trackst.DAT is created (if you edited everything via the correct way) instead of a BAK.File...(but of course make sure you made a backup of your old Trackst.DAT before you edit and remove it)...

Done !

Confusius says i am confused.

BAK = Back-up file.
:: Looking for the Locomotion section? Scroll down on the forum index or click here. :: See all releases in Locomotion section? Clicky here! :: Click here for the best tool ever! :: .datCrawler try it! ::
Following roadmap for releases: Whats a roadmap?
Releases of LocoTrains can be found by checking the posts of: LocoTrains - Goold old AMI Trains member of the first hour.
I have Private Messaging disabled, because of the stupid questions i get in my PM box.
Want to talk to me? Get on the #tycoon and #locomotion channel on OFTC thingy. :: Evolution of men: Loosing more braincells, everytime you post...

Emperor Darth Sidious
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Darth Sidious » 17 Apr 2014 08:57

Tattoo wrote:And you've been doing this how long EDS? You'll confuse him with that explanation. Geez.
Illegal_Alien wrote:Confusius says i am confused.
Yeah yeah, I know...Even I can make mistakes after 10 years, but my discription wasn't that bad. I just had to tell it in a different way, but no-one (me included) is perfect, and we are only humans :mrgreen: :wink:

eric_22
Engineer
Engineer

Post by eric_22 » 15 Jan 2015 15:58

Got a problem here, at the momment the game will only allow me build 1 or two types of signal, however when i change this

<variable name="numsignals" size="1">16</variable> from "1">10</variable> to "1">16</variable>, i save and then i do the usual, it comes up with this "could not find object to use for signal" so im stuck on that, it would only work if the digit was back at 10

TJ-99
Engineer
Engineer

Post by TJ-99 » 16 Jan 2015 03:09

Eric_22, have you added the signals you want to use to your trackst.dat and/or trackng.dat file? They have to be listed there, or they won't be available in the game.

Return to “Locomotion Problems, FAQs and Tutorials”