Transport Tycoon Forums

The place to talk about Transport Tycoon
It is currently Thu May 23, 2019 6:04 am

All times are UTC




Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 439 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 4 522 Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Gold Rush [32 bpp mod]
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:56 pm 
Offline
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:59 pm
Posts: 295
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Image

Image

For more information, visit:
http://www.badbrett.se/goldrush


Last edited by Bad_Brett on Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:58 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:01 pm 
Offline
Tycoon
Tycoon
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:36 pm
Posts: 2384
Location: Alberta, Canada
I personally think they look great. Well done.

_________________
Image
Total Alpine Replacement Set: Industry, Town, Objects
**ATTENTION**: If anyone would like me to help draw snow stages in any of their GRFs let me know. I genuinely enjoy drawing them.


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:34 am 
Offline
Engineer
Engineer

Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2006 5:49 pm
Posts: 52
Skype: Ervink2
Pretty nice, but too repetitive. I think you should just make it sand, but with occasional plant tiles.


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:44 am 
Offline
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:59 pm
Posts: 295
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
ervin2 wrote:
Pretty nice, but too repetitive. I think you should just make it sand, but with occasional plant tiles.


Is that possible?


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:52 am 
Offline
Tycoon
Tycoon
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 4:05 pm
Posts: 2544
Location: Chesterfield, England
Couldn't you make some of the trees into plants like those? I think it's great except that there are too many plants. :)

_________________
JontySewell.net | twitter | last.fm | tumblr | YouTube | RaW 1251AM


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:22 am 
Offline
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:59 pm
Posts: 295
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
There are often a lot of plants in american deserts:

http://www.thedailygreen.com/cm/thedail ... ert-lg.jpg

I'll try to do something with one of the cactus sprites... Thanks for the tip! :)

I made some new houses as well:
Attachment:
Houses.jpg [1014.81 KiB]
Downloaded 349 times


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:49 am 
Offline
Tycoon
Tycoon
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:36 pm
Posts: 2384
Location: Alberta, Canada
The houses look a little bit stereotypical of the Wild West sort of desert. Unless that was what you were aiming for of course.. in which case good graphics.

_________________
Image
Total Alpine Replacement Set: Industry, Town, Objects
**ATTENTION**: If anyone would like me to help draw snow stages in any of their GRFs let me know. I genuinely enjoy drawing them.


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:02 pm 
Offline
Tycoon
Tycoon

Joined: Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:43 am
Posts: 1808
Location: Spain
Bad_Brett wrote:
There are often a lot of plants in american deserts:

http://www.thedailygreen.com/cm/thedail ... ert-lg.jpg

I'll try to do something with one of the cactus sprites... Thanks for the tip! :)

I made some new houses as well:
Attachment:
Houses.jpg

I like it. It could be a a new GRF like the Japan or Australian landscapes.

_________________
Sorry if my english is too poor, I want learn it, but it isn't too easy.


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:06 pm 
Offline
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:59 pm
Posts: 295
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
jake.grimshaw wrote:
The houses look a little bit stereotypical of the Wild West sort of desert. Unless that was what you were aiming for of course.. in which case good graphics.


That's kind of what I'm aiming for actually. :) I'm hoping to make a mod out of this, running from 1850-1950 or something like that. Wagon Trains will replace trucks in the early game.

I've been experimenting a lot the latest month and tried to make the terrain look more "alive".

Image

The main drawback is that the missing grids makes it harder to build stuff. Hopefully some nice programmer eventually make a "Grid On/Off" feature. ;) Otherwise I'll add grid to the standard zoom level, in which most of the construction will take place.

Here's the tileset "in action":

Image

It needs some tweaking here and there, though.

I've also been working on some older steam engines, here is the well known 4-4-0 American:

Image

Hope you like it! :)


Attachments:
OpenTTDBadBrettModTileset.jpg [956.91 KiB]
Downloaded 167 times
Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:07 pm 
Offline
Tycoon
Tycoon
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:36 pm
Posts: 2384
Location: Alberta, Canada
Looks a bit 'Sid Meier's Railroads!'-ish.

_________________
Image
Total Alpine Replacement Set: Industry, Town, Objects
**ATTENTION**: If anyone would like me to help draw snow stages in any of their GRFs let me know. I genuinely enjoy drawing them.


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:12 pm 
Offline
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:59 pm
Posts: 295
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
jake.grimshaw wrote:
Looks a bit 'Sid Meier's Railroads!'-ish.


Ouch! Probably the worst game ever released with Sid's name on. :wink:


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:53 pm 
Offline
Tycoon
Tycoon
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2007 5:03 pm
Posts: 2185
Location: ~/
That looks much more alive indeed! :D

What's up with the railroad? Mockup?

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:00 pm 
Offline
Engineer
Engineer
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 12:03 pm
Posts: 23
Bad_Brett wrote:
jake.grimshaw wrote:
Looks a bit 'Sid Meier's Railroads!'-ish.


Ouch! Probably the worst game ever released with Sid's name on. :wink:


theses desert sprites and and the water tower are really amazing!
the houses and the train are very nice and detailed too.

the details on the the desert make them far away nicer than the actual tropical sprites.
the actual sprites are the only which have been made at this time,
but i think that theses ones should deserve to be integrated to the game when all the tiles will be created.
very good work.


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:20 pm 
Offline
Tycoon
Tycoon
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 11:51 pm
Posts: 1501
Location: The sunny side of Alps
Wow - it looks simply amazing!

Of course it has a Western touch to it which would be a great mod-grf from tropic to Western. :-)

_________________
NewGRF: Oil Wells in Temperate terrain now can Increase production, Better vehicle names, Use-able default aircraft, Oil Rig for Snowland and Desert, Speed for Suspension bridges.
Patches (OpenTTD): Improved smooth_economy [in trunk], More (diesel) smoke [in trunk], Realistic_acceleration finetune.

Keep 'em rollin'!


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:52 pm 
Offline
Tycoon
Tycoon
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:29 pm
Posts: 1872
Location: Czech Republic
SirkoZ wrote:
Wow - it looks simply amazing!

Of course it has a Western touch to it which would be a great mod-grf from tropic to Western. :-)


My words, It looks absolutely incredible.


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:11 pm 
Offline
Tycoon
Tycoon

Joined: Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:43 am
Posts: 1808
Location: Spain
Your graphics are awesome. It's a new climate.
Bad_Brett wrote:
The main drawback is that the missing grids makes it harder to build stuff. Hopefully some nice programmer eventually make a "Grid On/Off" feature. ;) Otherwise I'll add grid to the standard zoom level, in which most of the construction will take place.

This feature would be awesome in OTTD...

I think that it could be added with a new GRF file called "gridless tiles". This new GRF file could replace the standard tiles with gridless tiles (Action 10 (Ah)). A TAR file could have 32 bpp files for these 8 bpp sprites.

The problem is that reloading the GRF files is slow if there are loaded too many GRF files. Also, I don't know if loading and unloading a GRF file too many times could break or the other GRF files.

_________________
Sorry if my english is too poor, I want learn it, but it isn't too easy.


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:23 pm 
Offline
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:59 pm
Posts: 295
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
maquinista wrote:
This feature would be awesome in OTTD...

I think that it could be added with a new GRF file called "gridless tiles". This new GRF file could replace the standard tiles with gridless tiles (Action 10 (Ah)). A TAR file could have 32 bpp files for these 8 bpp sprites.

The problem is that reloading the GRF files is slow if there are loaded too many GRF files. Also, I don't know if loading and unloading a GRF file too many times could break or the other GRF files.


Wouldn't it require less resources with a "layer" using small grey scale png's?

It would be cool if the grid showed up automatically when you hit any construction button. If it could work this way, the gridless tiles wouldn't affect the playability at all.


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:38 pm 
Offline
Tycoon
Tycoon

Joined: Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:43 am
Posts: 1808
Location: Spain
Bad_Brett wrote:
maquinista wrote:
This feature would be awesome in OTTD...

I think that it could be added with a new GRF file called "gridless tiles". This new GRF file could replace the standard tiles with gridless tiles (Action 10 (Ah)). A TAR file could have 32 bpp files for these 8 bpp sprites.

The problem is that reloading the GRF files is slow if there are loaded too many GRF files. Also, I don't know if loading and unloading a GRF file too many times could break or the other GRF files.


Wouldn't it require less resources with a "layer" using small grey scale png's?

It would be cool if the grid showed up automatically when you hit any construction button. If it could work this way, the gridless tiles wouldn't affect the playability at all.

This would be better, but needs modifications in the sourcecode.

_________________
Sorry if my english is too poor, I want learn it, but it isn't too easy.


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:10 pm 
Offline
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:59 pm
Posts: 295
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Bennythen00b wrote:
That looks much more alive indeed! :D

What's up with the railroad? Mockup?


Yep, nothing is complete yet. I just wanted to get rid of the original tiles.

The next thing I'm working on are the grass tiles. It's going to take some time, but I think it's going to be pretty cool. The grass will cover a larger area than a single tile to create smoother transitions.


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:57 pm 
Offline
Tycoon
Tycoon

Joined: Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:43 am
Posts: 1808
Location: Spain
The station is awesome. Is based on a new GRF file?

About the vertical walls of the terrain, You can modify this file:
download/file.php?id=110910
viewtopic.php?p=788988#p788988

It has a bat file with all the offsets.

_________________
Sorry if my english is too poor, I want learn it, but it isn't too easy.


Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 439 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 4 522 Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000-2019 phpBB Limited

Copyright © Owen Rudge/The Transport Tycoon Forums 2001-2019.
Hosted by Zernebok Hosting.