Transport Tycoon Forums

The place to talk about Transport Tycoon
It is currently Sat May 25, 2019 12:09 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 8:38 am 
Engineer
Engineer

supermop wrote:
An observation: diesels produce a ton of smoke while braking - hopefully they are not trying to use thrust reversers!

I think they kinda do! Correct me if im wrong (my knowledge of trains isn't that extensive), doesn't the dynamic brakes on a diesel loco use the engine power to slow the train? If this is the case, the smoke is accurate.

Great patch idea. This has also bugged me for ages.
Quick question: does the patch recognise the "slope steepness for trains" and "freight cargo multiplier" settings and adjust the breaking distance accordingly?

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 9:47 am 
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Dynamic braking works by letting the wheels run the motor. In diesel-electric locomotives this means the electric motor will function as a generator, and generally those locomotives will have resistive heating elements installed to consume the generated power. These heating elements require cooling, and too much dynamic braking can in fact overload them. This does not run the diesel motors so there is no combustion smoke, though there could be some condensation on the radiators that would release as steam when they first heat up.

In contrast, diesel-hydraulic or diesel-mechanical locomotives can't have dynamic braking since they don't have an electric motor that can be run as generator. Instead they could use a compression release brake similar to some semi-trucks, but this does not involve running the motor in reverse either.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 9:54 am 
Engineer
Engineer

I stand corrected! Thanks for the clarification.