Need some help installing MinGW

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

TJen
Engineer
Engineer

Need some help installing MinGW

Post by TJen »

Hi.

I'm trying to install MinGW using the guide found here, but I'm having some trouble getting it to work.

I'll describe what I do and what results I get, and I would be grateful if someone would then tell me what I'm doing wrong.

First of all, the guide says to use mingw-get-inst-20120426, but that file seems to be absolutely impossible to find. the sourceforge site seems to have removed any trace of it, and as far as I've been able to determine the file is completely unavailable via google as well. I have therefore tried to install it using the mingw-get-setup.exe file that can now be found on the sourceforge site.

The first problem is that the guide says to select "Use pre-packaged repository catalogues". Unfortunately, as far as I can see, that option is no longe available in the installer. The rest of the installation goes relatively well, until I get to the part where i need to test the installation. I presume that this is not what i should get when I run gcc -v:

Code: Select all

$ gcc -v
sh: gcc: command not found
So I go back to the MinGW installer and mark the msys-gcc files for installation, whereupon that part starts working at least.

The installation of subversion seems go alright at least, but when I install zlib I get these messages at the end:

Cannot export gzopen_w: symbol not defined
Creating library file: libz.dll.a
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [zlib1.dll] Error 1
For all I know it's supposed to say that, except that I get this at the end of the "./configure" part when I try to compile libpng:

configure: error: zlib not installed
And then when I run "make install" I get this message:

make: *** No rule to make target `install'.  Stop.
I tried to continue on simply to see if I got any more error messages, and while I didn't notice any obvious error messages during the compiling of liblzo2 and libfreetype, I seemed to get a multitude of "no such file or directory exists" messages during the compiling of xz.

That's the point where I gave up and turned to this forum.

As I said, I would be very grateful if someone here could tell me what I need to do to get this installed and functional.
jvassie
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Need some help installing MinGW

Post by jvassie »

Here's the missing .exe file if you need it 8)
Attachments
mingw-get-inst-20120426.rar
(605.02 KiB) Downloaded 166 times
(British) Modular Stations Set - Thread: | Website:
Swiss Set - Thread: | Website:
Route Map Creator
My Screenshot Thread
TJen
Engineer
Engineer

Post by TJen »

Thanks.

Using that file the installation went exactly as the guide said it should, and I've already managed to successfully compile the trunk into a working copy of openttd.

It might also be a good idea for someone to update the wiki with where to find the correct installation file.

Once again, thanks for the help. Now I just have to see if I can get the more hight levels patch applied and functional.
Lord Aro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Lord Aro »

MinGW seems to have been updated, not sure why the link's gone dead though

I haven't checked (not on windows) but this should be the correct link now: http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw/f ... e/download
AroAI - A really feeble attempt at an AI

It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students that have had a prior exposure to BASIC: as potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration. --Edsger Dijkstra
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

TJen wrote:It might also be a good idea for someone to update the wiki with where to find the correct installation file.
Why don't you do it yourself? It's a wiki, and you found the exact spots that need fixing.

Return to “OpenTTD Development”