MMNL Ready2Play MP PatchPacks; Request here! [08-10-2013]

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Djohaal
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Precompiled patch packs, request stuff here! [20-09-2013

Post by Djohaal »

Whee! Thanks for your time. Too bad the daylenght patch didn't work, but still that's a nice lightweight patch with a lot of good stuff. :D
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

that is kinda to be expected if you bump it by 3000 revisions without careful adaption...

i have a more recent version somewhere on my disk, but it needs another thorough review before i can post this. afair there has been a crash bug related to openttd's new way of initializing settings on startup
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by 3298 »

MasterMeNL wrote:
3298 wrote:But judging from the list of included patches, you seem to aim for a "trunk with enhancements" feel, not a "roadmap for OTTD 2.0" one. So may I suggest my own interface patches? (enhanced transparency window; multiple hotkey actions for a single keypress)
Decide for yourself whether they are useful enough, because I probably won't use this patchpack. (Linux user familiar with compiling here... :P )
Not sure who you are talking to now haha.
But if directed at me, yeah sure. I can at least try them out. :))
I wish I knew how to make bloody .patch files, but I can't figure out. When I select create patch with TurtleSVN™ (that's how I call it) it'll cry about bad formatting in the source and it refuses to make a patch.

Also, I've never worked with C++ before. And I only started learning Java 3 weeks ago (on university, really easy so far imo). So don't get me started on the complicated things. :P
Yes, it was directed at you. You are right, I should have made that a bit more obvious. :oops: One thing about the transparency patch: when you apply it, my transparency window will replace the trunk one, so the old one will no longer be available - I hope that doesn't cause too much trouble. That patch really needs an advanced settings switch. (As if there weren't enough already - but one is actually removed by calling the reserved tracks overlay a transparency option.)

Creating patches is easy. Just get a program called diff (most Linux distros come with it preinstalled; with Windows use the MinGW one, or try to find it on the web without the whole MinGW environment). Then use it like this:

Code: Select all

diff path/to/trunk/source path/to/patched/source > somepatchname.patch
I used TortoiseSVN exactly once, because the university computer in question only had that SVN client installed, so I only know how to do checkouts, updates and commits with it. But meh, command line is more powerful anyway. :mrgreen:
MasterMeNL
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MasterMeNL »

3298 wrote:Yes, it was directed at you. You are right, I should have made that a bit more obvious. :oops: One thing about the transparency patch: when you apply it, my transparency window will replace the trunk one, so the old one will no longer be available - I hope that doesn't cause too much trouble. That patch really needs an advanced settings switch. (As if there weren't enough already - but one is actually removed by calling the reserved tracks overlay a transparency option.)
TurtleSVN™ suddenly liked me and it's creating patches as it should now, I'll probably upload them soon, will make updating revisions a piece of cake.
Also, it's not illegal to paste your own patches in here, that saves me the effort of finding them.
Anyway, I found it and I'll probably add it to my "personal" patch pack today.
alluke wrote:CargoDist!
Infrasharing!

:bow:
All is merged and should work, but infrastructure_func.h is pooping errors, and it does the same thing on the revision the patch was designed for. I contacted someone who managed to compile it somehow, hopefully he still remembers how he fixed it or I'll probably be screwed.

If anyone else wants to help make this work (I know you want to...), just say so and I'll upload the patch so far and the errors and what not.

Regards,

Melvin.
Valdez
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Re: Compiled patch combination list

Post by Valdez »

MasterMeNL wrote: Feel free to request anything you want, I'm not updating this yet because the only really "new" thing is:
"-Add: Additional layered main toolbar arrangement"
Which doesn't seem like too big of a deal.
Also, check your PM.
Huh.. I was going to suggest "more height levels" and improved crossings, but you included the height levels when I wasn't looking :lol:

Good job so far :)

EDIT: OK, I'm getting savegame chunk errors with both variants of the V4 (game saved in V1). Opening and saving it again in unpatched 25768 might solve the issue, but Visual Studio 2012 is being a .... :?

And another suggestion: this looks kind of nice...
My visits on the forums are sporadic only, so PMs may go unanswered for a long time. If you wish to report a bug etc., the best option is via DM or ping on r/Openttd Discord
MasterMeNL
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Compiled patch combination list

Post by MasterMeNL »

Valdez wrote:Huh.. I was going to suggest "more height levels" and improved crossings, but you included the height levels when I wasn't looking :lol:

Good job so far :)

EDIT: OK, I'm getting savegame chunk errors with both variants of the V4 (game saved in V1). Opening and saving it again in unpatched 25768 might solve the issue, but Visual Studio 2012 is being a .... :?

And another suggestion: this looks kind of nice...
Well V1 didn't have the more height levels patch yet and I assume that a map generated without more height levels won't work when you load it with more height levels.
I also noticed that the smallmap doesn't work properly when you click somewhere even though it should, the show where train get stuck patch probably messed it up a bit which means I might remove the latter one in V5.
That's why patches usually set their savegame version to something unique whereas I use 255 for everything even though different versions may not be compatible with eachother at all.

I may do a personal V5 today depending on things, depends on the amount of time I have today.
More builds are coming next week for sure.

I'm also noticing some performance issues when fully zoomed out moving across a brand new 2048*2048 map. I'm thinking the culprit in more height levels.
I'll probably do some testing next week.

I will probably include the close adjacent crossings patch but I won't include the show station coverage because:
"if using "more realistic catchment size" for station, adding or removing tiles to a station with different catchment size can crash the game (on remove). Will be fixed in v2"
And v2 doesn't exist yet. And AFAIK almost everyone uses that option.

Edit: Also check out this, maybe the level crossings patch isn't such a good idea. ;)

Regards,

Melvin.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Precompiled patch packs, request stuff here! [21-09-2013

Post by Eddi »

unless you take special precautions with savegame compatibility (in src/saveload/whatever), you will NEVER be able to load Vx savegames in V(x+1). and sometimes not even trunk savegames.
MasterMeNL
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Precompiled patch packs, request stuff here! [21-09-2013

Post by MasterMeNL »

Eddi wrote:unless you take special precautions with savegame compatibility (in src/saveload/whatever), you will NEVER be able to load Vx savegames in V(x+1). and sometimes not even trunk savegames.
Is this true even for patches like Rating in Town Label? As I think that is only a little visual mod that doesn't even store/change anything else.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Precompiled patch packs, request stuff here! [23-09-2013

Post by Eddi »

there are a few things that don't affect savegame compatibility. but to judge that you have to look at the patch.

generally: everything that adds a setting will affect it.
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by 3298 »

Only if the setting is actually stored in the savegame. There are some visual settings which are not stored in the savegame, for example the reserved tracks highlighting or the currency.
If the patch is a good one, you will see whether it affects compatibility by looking at its saveload version number; if the patch modifies the number, it affects compatibility. Theoretically it's possible that someone wrote a patch that should modify the number, but doesn't; fortunately that is very rare.
I guess the Rating in Town Label patch doesn't affect compatibility because it only adds something visual, even if it can be turned off.
Rubidium
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Rubidium »

3298 wrote:There are some visual settings which are not stored in the savegame, for example the reserved tracks highlighting or the currency.
The currency is saved in the savegame.
MasterMeNL
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MasterMeNL »

Looks like the savegames do work pretty good when upgrading, check the update patch I added.
I think that there is a way to fix the ATC speed control crash too, since it's just a change in AI, doesn't add "weird" new things I think.
Should be stored for client only although that might break MP compatibility, we'll see if there is any demand for a fix.

How do you guys like the new layout?

Regards,

Melvin.
maddy_
Engineer
Engineer

Post by maddy_ »

Nice work MasterMeNL.

And thanks for including my logic signals patch. I will try out your binaries at some point (occupied with one other game atm).
Engineer
Engineer

Post by 2457 »

I would like to request windows xp binarys..
i did rty win 7 but.. you know how it is.
xp is working flawlessly, why change.

and thank You for the binarys.
I hope some to jon /host some nice games :)
The Prophet -thx Pikka-
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

2457 wrote:xp is working flawlessly, why change.
end-of-life coming very soon... Meaning not even securitiy fixes anymore, inviting remote exploit of your machine, installing key loggers and installing spam e-mailers without you being able to notice.
MasterMeNL
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MasterMeNL »

2457 wrote:I would like to request windows xp binarys..
i did rty win 7 but.. you know how it is.
xp is working flawlessly, why change.

and thank You for the binarys.
I hope some to jon /host some nice games :)
Which version do you need a Win XP build for?
Well apparently Visual Studio 2012 normally compiles only for modern OSes and I assume there is some con to a Win XP build running on modern OSes.
I may host a game sometime, but for now I'm playing SP for a while.

And yeah, XP is just getting ancient. You really need to upgrade soon if you want to stay safe lol.

Edit: MMNL Custom Series 1 V6 will have an XP Edition, will be uploaded here in a bit.

Edit 2: Request 2 with Infrastructure Sharing is merged, compiles and settings are accessible, but there is no currency behind it and it doesn't actually work although it is there in the finances window. But this was in single-player with AI and maybe it only works in MP? If not the patch itself is just pretty broken right now and I'm not experienced enough to fix it myself.

Regards,

Melvin.
Guvnor
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Precompiled patch packs, request stuff here! [25-09-2013

Post by Guvnor »

Melvin,

I am running V2 of your patch pack. Newly created trains will not pick up items from a station. They will go to the station and sit there at 0%. I don't know if it has to do with the slim time table patch or not. I notice in the station details pane that the station has allocated all items to go to some other station and has no items left available to go to a new station. So new trains can't pick anything up. How do I fix this?

Thanks,

Guvnor
MasterMeNL
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MasterMeNL »

Guvnor wrote:Melvin,

I am running V2 of your patch pack. Newly created trains will not pick up items from a station. They will go to the station and sit there at 0%. I don't know if it has to do with the slim time table patch or not. I notice in the station details pane that the station has allocated all items to go to some other station and has no items left available to go to a new station. So new trains can't pick anything up. How do I fix this?

Thanks,

Guvnor
Is most likely a newGRF problem or you forgot to refit to the specified cargo.
I just tried it and it works properly.
Can you post a screenshot while having station and train info open?

Regards,

Melvin.
Guvnor
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Guvnor »

Here's a train that has been at this station for over 10 minutes, while dozens of other trains have come and gone. It started at 0% and then after a few steel deliveries it went to 20%, and then 42% and is now at 60%. The station details show that no engineering supplies are bound for its destination. I have sometimes been able to fix this problem by destroying the station and creating a new station (not a replacement station, but a brand new station).
Attachments
Slow loading train.PNG
Slow loading train.PNG (1.1 MiB) Viewed 558 times
MasterMeNL
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MasterMeNL »

Guvnor wrote:Here's a train that has been at this station for over 10 minutes, while dozens of other trains have come and gone. It started at 0% and then after a few steel deliveries it went to 20%, and then 42% and is now at 60%. The station details show that no engineering supplies are bound for its destination. I have sometimes been able to fix this problem by destroying the station and creating a new station (not a replacement station, but a brand new station).
Sounds like a problem in CargoDist rather than in my patch pack although I'm rather interested in what's causing it.
You do know that CargoDist prefers destinations that are closer above those that are far away right? So those trucks (if they pick up ES) will get more stuff because destination is closer.
I could be wrong this but this is just my guess, there is a settings to disable this so that it doesn't care about distances anymore.

Could you upload the savegame so I can check it out myself?

Thanks in forward,

Melvin.

Return to “OpenTTD Development”