MMNL Ready2Play MP PatchPacks; Request here! [08-10-2013]

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: MMNL Ready2Play MP PatchPacks; Request here! [29-09-2013

Post by Eddi »

MasterMeNL wrote:
Eddi wrote:you probably run out of map bits for houses and industries. (the compiler will not tell you this)
I'm not doing this the proper way, I'm just removing all of the "check for bridge" parts in the code. :mrgreen:
That also saves some CPU-power and... stuff like that, lol.
you just disqualified yourself there. i will not waste my time on this stupidity and i will urge anybody to do the same...
FLHerne
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FLHerne »

Eddi wrote:
MasterMeNL wrote:
Eddi wrote:you probably run out of map bits for houses and industries. (the compiler will not tell you this)
I'm not doing this the proper way, I'm just removing all of the "check for bridge" parts in the code. :mrgreen:
That also saves some CPU-power and... stuff like that, lol.
you just disqualified yourself there. i will not waste my time on this stupidity and i will urge anybody to do the same...
I'm (reluctantly) forced to agree here...
I also learned big chunks of C++ by making incrementally less-broken patchpacks (Eddi probably remembers me asking stupid questions :oops: ), but releasing one to the public without even a basic understanding of how the map array (and presumably the rest of the changes you've made) work seems rather irresponsible. I like the idea of a publically-advised patchpack with many of the popular patches - it would save me needing to make my own :D - but I can't see how you can make it a success without a reasonable understanding of how to fix it when it's borked.
Temporary Permanent signature filling text. Content coming soon delayed indefinitely! Oh, and I have had a screenshot thread.
Linux user (XMonad DWM/KDE, Arch), IRC obsessive and rail enthusiast. No longer building robots; now I ring church bells.
Author of an incredibly boring stickied post about NewGRFs.
MiSpA51
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MiSpA51 »

Apart from all the jibber-jabber where is V8???

Isn't making faults the best way to learn yes?
MasterMeNL
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MasterMeNL »

FLHerne wrote:I'm (reluctantly) forced to agree here...
I also learned big chunks of C++ by making incrementally less-broken patchpacks (Eddi probably remembers me asking stupid questions :oops: ), but releasing one to the public without even a basic understanding of how the map array (and presumably the rest of the changes you've made) work seems rather irresponsible. I like the idea of a publically-advised patchpack with many of the popular patches - it would save me needing to make my own :D - but I can't see how you can make it a success without a reasonable understanding of how to fix it when it's borked.
Yeah I just decided to start from scratch as the other bridges patch just didn't do what I wanted to do and it made everything a lot harder by adding a lot of extra code.

Now I made extra cases in the switch for bridges so that it also works with industries, houses, objects, etc which means very little code adjustment and it's done in a proper way without messing around with other functions.
Bridges can be placed right now, but bridges aren't drawn on industries, stations and other stuff where bridges can't go by default (except for road depots for some reason).

I need to add the drawbridgemiddle thing to all those files. Since the other bridges patch made it work for stations I'll check out where he added it for the stations, after that it's just copy/paste to the industries and houses too.
Industries and houses still won't spawn under bridges and you can't build objects under bridges, but I think buildings can still upgrade which might cause graphical glitches when a small house turns into a flat. I'll see if I can prevent that.

So far the only problem that I encountered was that I didn't know you had to run projects/generate, so I got some unresolved externals with departure boards.

Edit:
FLHerne wrote:without even a basic understanding of how the map array (and presumably the rest of the changes you've made) work seems rather irresponsible.
I can read almost all OpenTTD code and understand it and what it does and how it works. I can also make changes and know why they work and do know stuff about the map array although not that much. I just have a hard time starting from scratch since I'm not familiar with C++ and OpenTTD's source code itself.
MiSpA51 wrote:Apart from all the jibber-jabber where is V8???

Isn't making faults the best way to learn yes?
Well everything except for the graphical part was finished yesterday so V8 should be done today unless I encounter major setbacks.

Regards,

Melvin.
Last edited by MasterMeNL on 07 Oct 2013 09:29, edited 1 time in total.
WWTBAM

Re: MMNL Ready2Play MP PatchPacks; Request here! [06-10-2013

Post by WWTBAM »

MasterMeNL, can you please refrain from swearing in the future please.
Formerly known as r0b0t_b0y2003, robotboy, roboboy and beclawat. The best place to get the most recent nightly builds of TTDPatch is: http://roboboy.users.tt-forums.net/TTDPatch/nightlies/
MasterMeNL
Engineer
Engineer

Re: MMNL Ready2Play MP PatchPacks; Request here! [08-10-2013

Post by MasterMeNL »

roboboy wrote:MasterMeNL, can you please refrain from swearing in the future please.
I did it without thinking, I "fixed" it.

I just uploaded MMNL Custom Series 1 V8.1 which is just as stable as V7 and lower (only ATC crash basically AFAIK).
I re-did the bridges patch and V0.02 is now also available in the patches section.
Transparency works like it should too for bridges going over industries.
What's there too is a new archive for all the patches so far, horribly sorted as always.

As said in the main post: "Bridges don't draw over houses yet, I don't even know if it's possible to do that without making the game crash eventually. Maybe this is the limit of the map array. I don't know really."

I may include Huge Airports in V9 but right now I think I have everything that is really useful in the patch pack. I'll probably try fixing the ATC crash sometime but unless there are requests to get something included I consider MMNL Custom Series 1 more or less "done".

Regards,

Melvin.
Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Supercheese »

Must you really use a third-party host for your patch files, especially a lame one like MEGA? Could you please just attach your .diffs to posts here in this forum?
Eyecandy Road Vehicles | Fake Subways | Supercheese's NewObjects

"Fashions and cultures change, but steam trains shall always be majestic."
-Professor Hershel Layton
MasterMeNL
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MasterMeNL »

Supercheese wrote:Must you really use a third-party host for your patch files, especially a lame one like MEGA? Could you please just attach your .diffs to posts here in this forum?
What's so bad about it?
I think there was a limit for attachments that's why I went with a third-party host.
I can also upload them to mediafire.
There is an attachment limit and who knows how many series I'll have, I'll upload the latest patches archive instead.

Regards,

Melvin.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

you know you can easily get around the attachment limit by attaching stuff to a new post and creating links to that attachment in the first post?
MasterMeNL
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MasterMeNL »

Eddi wrote:you know you can easily get around the attachment limit by attaching stuff to a new post and creating links to that attachment in the first post?
Patches are attached to main post now.
Q_Q
Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Supercheese »

MasterMeNL wrote:
Supercheese wrote:Must you really use a third-party host for your patch files, especially a lame one like MEGA? Could you please just attach your .diffs to posts here in this forum?
What's so bad about it?
I think there was a limit for attachments that's why I went with a third-party host.
I can also upload them to mediafire.
Well, both MEGA and Mediafire are very poor choices to host patch/diff files, as they are very cumbersome -- MEGA uses a flash loader or some such, and demands excessive browser resources just to download a 4kb file -- and unreliable. We should all be aware of MEGA's, shall we say, eventful encounters with various governmental law enforcement agencies in the past, and Mediafire is known to randomly remove files on a whim, and as such is a very unreliable host.

For .diff files, some much better choices are sites that allow you to paste in raw text and then view it with syntax highlighting applied. For example, pastebin.com, pastie.org, or even our very own Devzone. :)
Eyecandy Road Vehicles | Fake Subways | Supercheese's NewObjects

"Fashions and cultures change, but steam trains shall always be majestic."
-Professor Hershel Layton
MasterMeNL
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MasterMeNL »

Supercheese wrote:Well, both MEGA and Mediafire are very poor choices to host patch/diff files, as they are very cumbersome -- MEGA uses a flash loader or some such, and demands excessive browser resources just to download a 4kb file -- and unreliable. We should all be aware of MEGA's, shall we say, eventful encounters with various governmental law enforcement agencies in the past, and Mediafire is known to randomly remove files on a whim, and as such is a very unreliable host.

For .diff files, some much better choices are sites that allow you to paste in raw text and then view it with syntax highlighting applied. For example, pastebin.com, pastie.org, or even our very own Devzone. :)
I like mega as a company, but I understand. But if you can't 2 seconds for mega to load... I can only think you're exaggerating right now.
About mediafire, I heard some b**** having problems with it. I registered years ago and do use it a few times a year. But I have gigabytes of password-protected RAR archives uploaded to their servers for over 3 years, they have not been downloaded even once (private and it's a backup) yet they're still on their servers.
I have never paid them a single cent yet they don't delete all of my stuff that has just been sitting there for over 3 years. Dropbox is only 2GB (and they're evil) and there are only few others that don't limit download speeds, make you wait, do not delete files after X days of inactivity and stuff like that.
If your PC can't handle mega it can't run YouTube, in which you should really consider a new PC. ;)

A hero called cirdan released an updated version of new map features yesterday.
I'm going to try integrate this in MMNL Custom Series 1 V9. If I fail V9 simply might not exist. It will probably the base mod of MMNL Custom Series 2 if I ever start it.

Regards,

Melvin.
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

You know that if you own an Android device, and link it up your dropbox, most often you'll get additional space. :wink: Myself got 50GB, which is taking toll on my base home computer anyway. And I know they aren't going to lost, because there's your computer which stores them all, and the program downloads anything that is added not from it automatically.

At least that's my experience with Dropbox for a few months (starting late 2012 - early 2013 until now) anyway.
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
MasterMeNL
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MasterMeNL »

I still rock a Nokia phone as I like to have my privacy, make sure you get a iPhone 5S too so you can give everyone your fingerprint.
I use a laptop at my university anyway and I don't need a €20+/month instant-break-when-dropped smartphone for the 60 minutes I travel each day.
And when I'm home I have a desktop and when I'm somewhere else I'm supposed to hang out or do something there instead of staring at a smartphone.

Haters gonna hate. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Regards,

Melvin.
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Mind you that I still own an old, simple Nokia phone too.

Ah well, use what you think apopriate for your own good. :wink:

EDIT : About that MEGA-thing, I know why it sucks - it caches all the data you wanted to download before they're actually stored on your device. This limits the number of browsers that supports downloading from MEGA - most probably TBB and NoScript-added browsers. Also I'm not sure what else is cached other than what we want to download... There could be some other niche.
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
MasterMeNL
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MasterMeNL »

I use Ghostery and Adblock Plus and Mega works fine over here.
I also disabled Java like anyone should do.
The file is probably downloaded to cache first because it has to be decrypted before it's actually in a useable state and after that has been done it will be pop up for a "download".
If you're afraid of JavaScript and Flash you're doing something wrong, although the second one likes to crash in your face. x)
Let's upload it to Dropbox and by that you give them permissions to use your content for whatever they want. Sorry, but I don't want that.

Regards,

Melvin.
MasterMeNL
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MasterMeNL »

I've heard about it, thanks for the tip anyway.
But for now I don't find it necessary, I may switch when I start pumping out more releases though.

Regards,

Melvin.
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

AdBlock have some bad reports of ads companies paying for having their script whitelisted. Ghostery doesn't run that well.

NoScript blocks everything deliberately, as well as HTTPS Everywhere making almost everything over https instead of http. I use the two.

Seeing you as also a privacy-oriented people... actually JS and Flash might be dangerous for your privacy. Some other users have talked about privacy here over various OFTC threads since the US light spectrum project.

Enough about privacy - as I said, use whats the best for you.
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
MasterMeNL
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MasterMeNL »

USA has backdoors in Windows and OS X too, so they can see what you do anyway.
I and everybody I know that uses Ghostery have never had any problems with it and I use third-party filters for Adblock Plus so again no problems really.
HTTPS Everywhere is great indeed, I use it too.
The only way to have real privacy is to use 100% open-source OSes and software while using a good VPN at the same time. Too bad that I really need my software because Windows is bad.

Regards,

Melvin.

Return to “OpenTTD Development”