While working on the idea to insert non-playable cars (such as personal cars) into the game (to give the cities life, and make the delay more realistic for buses and trams), I thought of the idea of motorways, which could be used with toll ways (which would mean a form of transportation, where you just actually don't transport people, but get themselves to do it, they just pay for riding your road.
). But that got me thinking about how the local authorities should act on this. I thought that you should have permission to build the motorway from each local authority. And then it would be have some indicator that you could build here and here.
This is where the zoning idea comes in. It is an overlay over the usual gameplay map. Using the following legend, you can see where you can build, where you should avoid building, and so fort:
Inner border colour
- Black - controlled, no opinion
- White - not controlled by any local authority
- Green - controlled, they like you enough so you can build
- Red - controlled, they don't like you enough to make you build
Outer border colour
- Green - you can build in this area
- Red - you cannot build in this area (this is mainly for the case of a local authority actually liking you, but they won't permit you to build motorways or a competitor bought exclusive rights to their area)
And here is an image of how I think it could work. Making this overlay is a bit difficult in an 8 bit game. So I based it on the already existing markers when you build trees, roads and such.
Now it is about 3 in the morning. So I am not in the mood for writing that much more yet. I have created any code yet, I'm afraid.
Also, I might could use blue and yellow for "like/dislike" you instead of red and green.