Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!
Moderator: OpenTTD Developers
- Posts: 1
- Joined: 13 Nov 2019 01:52
- If you're talking about rebuilding local roads in the list of actions you can do in towns, well... just don't do that to your towns. Actually it doesn't even improve the speed of any vehicle or the max speed on roads. It has no effect except bothering you and your road vehicles. Its only use since it was implemented in the game is "trolling" others or messing up their road vehicle network in multiplayer. However I never did this to anyone in multiplayer except some friends as a joke (just as nobody ever did this to me, except friends as a joke again).
- If you're talking about rebuilding all the city roads, for example from 3x3 to 2x2 or Original : the problem is that towns just don't spread in the same manners with different road layouts. That just means it'll have to place all buildings at different places and that's pretty difficult. Another problem if you want to switch from grids to Original or Improved is that these road layouts are pretty chaotic (= you can't tell what they will be). While you can tell exactly where any road will be with a grid, the above-cited other road layouts will vary in function of the obstacles : ramp where it can't be built, rails, rivers, airports, other towns...
For bridges : IIRC the option for towns to automatically build bridges above rails was implemented in trunk, but I'm really not sure. This being said it's in JGR's Patch Pack anyways.
- Posts: 6620
- Joined: 22 Jan 2005 19:31
- Location: Wakefield, West Yorkshire
Yes, unfortunately rebuilding roads is just a move to annoy other users using road vehicles where you are not. Although in most servers there is a silent gentlemans agreement that you don't do it, and they don't do it in return. So it never gets used.
It'd be quite nice if it could be implemented that the option, if a town is not already using the most useful road layout, that triggering that also has the effect of restructuring the roads into a grid layout, and if its already the best layout possible, the option is not given to the players.
Worst Behaved IRC Member of 2008, 2009 & 2010
- Go Me!
- Posts: 76
- Joined: 03 Aug 2011 14:10
- Location: Yes
Throwing in a grand total of two cents here, what if this could be made useful when RoadTypes become part of the main game?
It could have towns upgrade to either the road with the current highest speed limit or the next road up based on current road's max speed, if available. Maybe a way to mark roads to be unavailable for towns to build so you don't get eyecandy road in a city?
- Posts: 7424
- Joined: 17 Jan 2007 00:14
Darthrafael wrote: ↑
21 Nov 2019 22:01
Maybe a way to mark roads to be unavailable for towns to build
that already exists.
You might not exactly be interested in Ferion
, but if you are, have fun
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests