Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Deactivated
Engineer
Engineer

Go to random order number

Post by Deactivated »

Hi everyone,
I have thought of a new concept for orders. As the title suggests, the train will randomly select an order number to go to.
It will work a little like the conditional order thing. So you can set "Go to either order 4, 42, 54 or 64". Thus, the train will have a 25% chance of going to order 4, another 25% chance of going to order 42 etc..
This will be useful if you want trains to randomly go to any station around the map to transport I have no idea what cargo.

Any feedback on this idea?
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: Go to random order number

Post by Alberth »

Orders are evaluated several times before being really executed, eg CargoDist makes a planning of cargo to put into the vehicle, program checks for a depot order, etc. Unless you like nasty surprises, the orders must be deterministic, that is, always give the same result, no matter how often you evaluate them.
For this reason, having randomness in them is pretty much impossible. This includes random selection like you propose, but also things like "don't visit station if no cargo" etc, since the latter is different each time you look too.
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”