Problems when both Airport and Bus-Stations accept Passengers

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

t3md1
Engineer
Engineer

Problems when both Airport and Bus-Stations accept Passengers

Post by t3md1 »

I'm new to OpenTTD, and recently found out about shoveling passengers using buses and trains. But the problem in my case is that whenever both the airport and bus-station/train-station accept passengers, the bus/train gains profit instead of transfer credits - no passengers are transferred to the airport either.

But if neither of the two accept passengers, then the bus/train unloads passengers into the airport which is good but when planes come unload to that airport then no profit is gained (which is acceptable, somewhat). Is this normal? Am I doing something wrong?

In the spoilers I've put images that hopefully tell more about my problem.
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: Problems when both Airport and Bus-Stations accept Passengers

Post by planetmaker »

I assume you have cargodist turned off (that's the default).

If you want the passengers to be transferred and not delivered to the station you stop at, you need to use the 'transfer' order (and not the unload).
'Unload' is the equivalent of "deliver if station accepts the cargo, transfer otherwise".

A feeder service which consists of townA-with-airport and townB-with-airport, it is necessary that both airports accept passengers. Then a system like
townA: bus: goto townA, goto airportA with transfer and leave empty
townB: bus: goto townB, goto airportB with transfer and leave empty
airplane: goto airportA, goto airportB
That will result in the busses transferring passengers to the airports which they gather from their town so that the planes have more passengers to transport.

If one of the airports does not accept passengers... it's tricky, as a 2-way-transfer does not work without cargodist enabled.
With cargodist enabled, every vehicle (bus, plane, train...) should just have "goto X" orders.
t3md1
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Problems when both Airport and Bus-Stations accept Passengers

Post by t3md1 »

Ah, thank you. That seemed to do the trick. I'm not sure how I missed the transfer function. I'll also have to look into enabling Cargodist.

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”