Transport Tycoon Forums

The place to talk about Transport Tycoon
It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:03 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:17 am 
Engineer
Engineer

I just downloaded OpenTTD the other day and I saw that I couldn't connect to the content server I thought it was that the servers were down but four days had passed and still no luck. So now I'm here asking you guys for help. I can't check any Online Content or all I get is the error code saying, "Could Not Connect To Content Server......" I am Running on Windows 7 64-bit and using version 1.3.1. So please help

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:53 am 
Tycoon
Tycoon

First of all, I recommend to check your internet connection... as it requires internet to work. I just tried that from my computer and it works well, even I upgraded some NewGRFs. Using 32-bit r25389 through.

All in all, could you download anything from BaNaNaS itself manually ? It could be some sever problem, else there's a bug within that built (which is should be... unlikely).

Last edited by YNM on Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:55 am 
President
President

Bananas site is up, but binaries site is not. http://www.isup.me/binaries.openttd.org says it's not just me.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:05 am 
Tycoon
Tycoon

Sylf wrote:
Bananas site is up, but binaries site is not.

His problem is with BaNaNaS, not with binaries. He have OpenTTD already.

EDIT : I connected to it anyway, redirected to http://hu.binaries.openttd.org/binaries/index.html

Last edited by YNM on Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:15 am 
Tycoon
Tycoon

I haven't had any problems connecting to BaNaNaS or via in-game, but I have had random and intermittent connectivity issues with tt-forums and openttd.org today.

Base Music Sets: OpenMSX | Scott Joplin Anthology | Traditional Winter Holiday Music | Modern Motion Music
Other Projects: 2CC Trams | Modern Waypoints | Sprite Sandbox & NewGRF Releases | Ideabox | Town Names | Isle of Sodor Scenario | Random Sprite Repository
Misc Topics: My Screenshots | Forgotten NewGRFs | Unfinished Graphics Sets | Stats Shack | RoadTypes?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:23 am 
Tycoon
Tycoon

Fine here too.

Josephmate,
Is OpenTTD blocked by your firewall?
If not, do you have the same problem with the 32bits version?

--- .... / -.-- . .- .... --..-- / .- -. -.. / .--. .-. .- .. ... . / - .... . / .-.. --- .-. -.. / ..-. --- .-. / .... . / --. .- ...- . / ..- ... / -.-. .... --- --- -.-. .... --- --- ... .-.-.- / ---... .--.

Playing with my patchpack? Ask questions on usage and report bugs in the correct thread first, please.
All included patches have been modified and are no longer 100% original.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:57 am 
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

OpenTTD uses TCP and UDP port 3979 for server <-> client communication, UDP port 3978 for masterserver (advertise) communication (outbound), and TCP port 3978 for content service, a.k.a. BaNaNaS (outbound)

DevZone - home of the free NewGRFs: OpenSFX | OpenMSX | OpenGFX | Swedish Rails | OpenGFX+ Trains|RV|Industries|Airports|Landscape | NML

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:41 am 
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Sylf wrote:
Bananas site is up, but binaries site is not. http://www.isup.me/binaries.openttd.org says it's not just me.

That can be misleading. Our load balancer may pick a different mirror for isup.me compared to the mirror you get yourself. The mirror selection will favour a mirror near your location but also take into account the current load of the different mirrors.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:46 pm 
President
President

YNM wrote:
Sylf wrote:
Bananas site is up, but binaries site is not.

His problem is with BaNaNaS, not with binaries. He have OpenTTD already.

From a quick code dive, I see that OpenTTD uses content.openttd.org port 3978 to retrieve list of available downloadables, and uses binaries.openttd.org port 80 by default to download the actual downloadable files.

It it seems all services are back, so I'll drop the subject.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:56 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

Sylf wrote:
From a quick code dive, I see that OpenTTD uses content.openttd.org port 3978 to retrieve list of available downloadables, and uses binaries.openttd.org port 80 by default to download the actual downloadable files.

I checked myself to the download links in BaNaNaS over the web, and indeed it's binaries.openttd.org.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:03 pm 
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Retreiving the list of available content is handled by a different server than the load balancer on binaries.openttd.org. That in turn will re-direct you to a mirror which then actually and finally serves the content to you. binaries.openttd.org itself will never give you a file, it's "only" re-directs you to a mirror based on availability of requested content, load of the single mirrors and distance between you and the mirrors.

See also viewtopic.php?f=29&t=61294

DevZone - home of the free NewGRFs: OpenSFX | OpenMSX | OpenGFX | Swedish Rails | OpenGFX+ Trains|RV|Industries|Airports|Landscape | NML

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:37 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

There was a period of downtime on the US mirror yesterday morning. This was unfortunately outside of my control, and was due to a power problem at the datacentre. Sorry for the inconvenience.