5 Stations for One City

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

nmota81
Engineer
Engineer

5 Stations for One City

Post by nmota81 »

Hello!
Before, tanks all developers for this wonderfull game! I play tycoon for more than 20 years.

I have a doubt, wonder if you could help me.
In the manual:
"Town growth can be accelerated by loading and unloading at least one item of cargo at up to five stations within town influence within a 50 day period"

Usualy i dont build 5 stations for city. So i tried and did some cities with 5 stations, loading & unloading (passangers/mail/goods/Values) between them with 3/4 trains.
This 5 stations also load & unload cargo to other cities.
With a %93 of cargo distribution, seems almost all this cities are not gwoing, they are loosing populiation.
Example: A town with 140.000 of population with only one station, before building other 3 stations (North, East, South) in a few years it lost 20.000 of population.
Is this normal or am I doing something wrong?
(Sorry the english, im portuguese)
Tank you all.

link of city example:
https://imgur.com/kLm1WCM
_dp_
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: 5 Stations for One City

Post by _dp_ »

1. Towns grow by building houses so always look at house count, population is secondary.
2. Your town is growing or, at least trying, albeit very slow. Not sure why is it only one house in 27 days for such a big town but, I guess with slowest speed setting, only 4 stations and no funding that may be possible. But, just in case make sure you don't have (and didn't have before) a gamescript that may influence town growth.
3. Your town is already quite big, at this point road layout starts to play a big role, and your layout may already be nearing its limits. Though, I guess with 27 day growth rate just a natural decay is already enough to nullify any growth.

So, basically, it's likely that your town grows so slow and you're measuring it so inaccurately that other factors outweigh the effect of having extra stations.

P.S. You don't need to have fancy stations, just 5 stops and one bus do the job perfectly.
nmota81
Engineer
Engineer

Post by nmota81 »

Tanks for the answer,
I checked and i have active this:

town growth speed depends on transported cargo 80%

Anyway my doubt is, if the city is growing good with 1 station, why building 3 more stations to have a better coverage make the city "ungrow" ?

Make sense by this reason have cities with more than one station?

tanks
_dp_
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by _dp_ »

Default growth mechanics is that amount and type of transported cargo has no effect on growth whatsoever. Station only needs to be "active" meaning 1 loaded or unloaded unit of cargo in smth like 50 days.
If amount makes a difference you're using some town growth gamescript and should ask about it specifically as many default mechanics may not apply to a gamescript-controlled town.
But by default having more stations is always better (up to 5). All in all 5 stations + regular funding (every 3 month) = max growth rate (tho you may grow faster with powerfunding, i.e funding every 2 days).

Return to “General OpenTTD”