from Simutrans to OpenTTD

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

ROCAMBOLER529
Engineer
Engineer

from Simutrans to OpenTTD

Post by ROCAMBOLER529 »

Hi community.

Im new in this forum and new in this game. I came from playing OpenTTD and it was very hard to understand the economic system. I came from Simutrans so... if anyone can help me to understand OpenTTD much better I will apreciate.

I dont understand why my planes and my truck are much slower than 10 years ago and why a black cloud appear sometimes in my trucks & buses causing that the vehicles stopped!!

I also dont understand this "rewards" from the goverment that sometimes appear saying that they will be reward the company who connected a city to another city, the state dont give me nothing or what?? where is the reward??

Oh one more thing... I tried to complete the chain of oil but the factory chain said "Oil pump-Refinery-House" what house? i tried to connect it to the city but nothing.

Srry for my English.
Drury
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: from Simutrans to OpenTTD

Post by Drury »

Sup

Vehicles can break down in this game, the older they get the more likely a breakdown occurs. You have to replace your old vehicles to keep them from breaking, or you can turn off breakdowns altogether in settings.

Subsidies aren't paid off all at once, instead you get increased profits from the subsidized line for a limited time period.

The oil supply chain is as follows:

You transport Oil from Oil Wells to Oil Refinery. Oil Refinery, when supplied with Oil, produces Goods. Goods go from Oil Refinery to Houses in cities.

Now, to have a city accept Goods, it first has to have built Houses that accept Goods. Not all houses accept Goods, only the large commercial buildings. You can see which parts of cities accept Goods by checking the station building UI as you hover the mouse cursor over the city. Also make sure to send trains with appropriate Goods wagons.
Attachments
New Drardington Transport, Jan 12th, 2050.png
New Drardington Transport, Jan 12th, 2050.png (213.49 KiB) Viewed 4334 times

Only dumb people quote themselves, and only the truest retards put such quotes in their forum signatures
-Drury
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

If anything, I have a much harder time generating proper profit in Simutrans :lol:

In general, OpenTTD is just like Simutrans, other than :

- Houses may also accept foods and goods.
- Industries need not to be linked to each other to accept their goods (as long as it's the right one according to the supply chain of goods).
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

If your airplanes are slow, it may be that the default setting sets plane speed. Open settings and search for speed, you should be able to set that to 1/1.
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

ROCAMBOLER529 wrote:Hi community.

Im new in this forum and new in this game. I came from playing OpenTTD and it was very hard to understand the economic system. I came from Simutrans so... if anyone can help me to understand OpenTTD much better I will apreciate.

I dont understand why my planes and my truck are much slower than 10 years ago and why a black cloud appear sometimes in my trucks & buses causing that the vehicles stopped!!

I also dont understand this "rewards" from the goverment that sometimes appear saying that they will be reward the company who connected a city to another city, the state dont give me nothing or what?? where is the reward??

Oh one more thing... I tried to complete the chain of oil but the factory chain said "Oil pump-Refinery-House" what house? i tried to connect it to the city but nothing.

Srry for my English.
By default, planes go at speed 1/4. This means that if a plane is said to go at 475 kph (Coleman Count for example) then it will go at 118 kph. You can go in advanced settings, go in "expert" mode and set it to 1/1. Now your plane will go at the indicated speed.
For the black clouds, those are breakdowns, so you can just go in advanced settings and disable them. If your goal is building huge networks just don't enable that. It can cause huge traffic jams.

For the reward, it is called a subsidy. The govt will only give you a subsidy if you connect the two towns together.
ROCAMBOLER529
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ROCAMBOLER529 »

Hi community.

Thank you so much for your help to understand the OpenTTD universe! But i have some question about the factories.
-Every provider factory can be conected with every consumer (like all the coal mines to all the power plants or they have a specific chain)???
Gwyd
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Gwyd »

Any producing industry can be connected to any accepting industry: for example any coal mine can be connected to any power station, or one coal mine can be connected to many power stations, or many coal mines connected to one power station.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

ROCAMBOLER529 wrote:Hi community.

Thank you so much for your help to understand the OpenTTD universe! But i have some question about the factories.
-Every provider factory can be conected with every consumer (like all the coal mines to all the power plants or they have a specific chain)???
We have a wiki that will answer many of your questions:
https://wiki.openttd.org/Main_Page

Here are the industries, and what goes where:
https://wiki.openttd.org/Industry#Table ... by_climate

Without any mods or NewGRFs, you can always transport any amount to any receiving industry. For example, you can transport one million tons of coal to the same power plant and it will always accept all of it.
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

ROCAMBOLER529 wrote:Every provider factory can be conected with every consumer (like all the coal mines to all the power plants or they have a specific chain)???
Yes. In fact, beside of the landscaping tools and the adoption of PAKsets vs. Baseset graphics, this is the most visible difference between OpenTTD and Simutrans.

Which again, makes OpenTTD far easier to play IMHO.
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

note that with "cargo distribution" enabled, you can still connect anything to anything, but every time new cargo is produced it will randomly choose a destination (from among the ones you have actually connected), and not board any vehicles going to other places.
ROCAMBOLER529
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ROCAMBOLER529 »

Thank you all for that information about, how to sucsess in OpenTTD, you are amazing!!!!

But i dont understand something. I connected the refineries & factories to the houses but the "Consumer Stop" said me that it could not recieved more good & all my trucks get losses cause of it. I dont know why this happened, can anyone help me with a solution??
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

Click on the station, you will see if it accepts goods. Check orders of your trucks, too.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

ROCAMBOLER529 wrote:Thank you all for that information about, how to sucsess in OpenTTD, you are amazing!!!!

But i dont understand something. I connected the refineries & factories to the houses but the "Consumer Stop" said me that it could not recieved more good & all my trucks get losses cause of it. I dont know why this happened, can anyone help me with a solution??
use the ?-Tool to click on the nearby houses, it will say something like "3/8 Goods" for office buildings, and nothing for most residental buildings. you need to have enough buildings near the station to add up to 8/8.

Return to “General OpenTTD”