Transport Tycoon Forums

The place to talk about Transport Tycoon
It is currently Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:11 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:58 am 
Engineer
Engineer

Hey guys, after much time lurking around the forums for tips how to play, I created an account.
Any servers out there focused on Road-Vehicles? (at least some that have very limited number of trains and no airplanes, no ships)
I have currently been playing small 256x256 tropical maps against 2 AI companies: Bork AI and NoCAB. Airplanes and ships disabled, trains limited to 4 (so far 3 games went on and nobody used trains, even me) and road vehicles limited to 80 (last time there was no limit and they were spamming the roads and causing havok). Been having a blast, finally getting that thrill in the single player I was looking for. I feel playing with trains make the game too easy, too auto-pilot, specially with bigger "station tiles" limit. With buses you have to carefully monitor stations and routes. I just don't host my own server because I'm behind a router and I don't have access to perform port-forwarding, so I can only join games.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:12 am 
Tycoon
Tycoon

DesertBus wrote:
Hey guys, after much time lurking around the forums for tips how to play, I created an account.
Any servers out there focused on Road-Vehicles? (at least some that have very limited number of trains and no airplanes, no ships)
I have currently been playing small 256x256 tropical maps against 2 AI companies: Bork AI and NoCAB. Airplanes and ships disabled, trains limited to 4 (so far 3 games went on and nobody used trains, even me) and road vehicles limited to 80 (last time there was no limit and they were spamming the roads and causing havok). Been having a blast, finally getting that thrill in the single player I was looking for. I feel playing with trains make the game too easy, too auto-pilot, specially with bigger "station tiles" limit. With buses you have to carefully monitor stations and routes. I just don't host my own server because I'm behind a router and I don't have access to perform port-forwarding, so I can only join games.

I can create a specific server with a few NewGRFs, if you would like it. Do you allow tramways ?

My screenshots

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:06 am 
Engineer
Engineer

Oh hello, sorry for the delay... I don't use any GRF's, when playing single-player I was just using some AI's. The most important aspects would be these:
1 - the map being small (256x256) in order to force players to interact with each others closely, sharing industries
Note: How we would avoid sabotage I don't know, for a while I can admin games, but does this mean that while I'm admin I can't play the game as well? For the moment I can guarantee to enter the server everyday but at random hours to watch for sabotaging
2 - Town and Industry quantity set to Very Low (this would make a map with only 1 industry of each type, and a few towns with water tower)
3 - Disable Airplanes, Ships and Trains (no Tram either), only allow Road-Vehicles with a limit of 200 vehicles
4 - Initial loan 200.000, no messing around, forces to be very cautious at starting profits. No inflation.
5 - Game duration? I don't have a clue. Maybe a cash goal that lasts for aprox 4 hours? I remember playing with these settings for 25 game-years and I had 10 Million in the bank, I guess 10 Mil should provide a nice challenge and make the game reset a few times a day.
I think that's it, anything else I forgot? Attached is my config file, if there's something that should not be seen publicly let me know and I take it off.

Attachments:
File comment: My config file I was playing single-player against the AI's
openttd.cfg [10.75 KiB]
Downloaded 9 times

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:38 am 
Tycoon
Tycoon

Well, is it bad if i include like, five NewGRFs ? Respectively :

- OpenGFX+ Landscape
- Total Town Replacement Set
- Bob's British Buses
- Bob's British Random Vehicles
- Dutch Tram Set

I can set the same configuration for the advanced settings and the same map size.
I can be the admin, if you want, and can keep the server online anyways.
And 200k of what unit ? Personally i use €. I suppose you use £ ?
Maybe i can allow 3 or 4 trains like said, or if you want we can keep it to no trains too.

My screenshots

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:14 am 
Engineer
Engineer

GRF's? Go for it, no problem, more variety can't hurt.
I play in dollars here, I thought the currency was merely aesthetic? Whatever people use more is fine, I don't care, I suppose there are way more people playing this game in Europe from what I've seen.
Trams and trains, please leave disabled if you can, specially Trams make a mess in the city. This server would be played by people who wanna chill out taking care of their buses, very relaxing kind of match, and not messing around with a bazillion things on screen. It's for a very specific kind of player. From the forum's activity I see there's almost no demand for this, but maybe over time people will stumble on this thread and be instigated to play it out of curiosity. I can hope at least. When naming the server just make sure the words "Road Only" appear at the start so it can be read by everyone who's browsing the list, the character limit on that server GUI is very small, I wonder why it stays that way, it would be so much better to be able to read a long description, or at least a tooltip. Something like "Road Only - 10 MIL" or whatever the goal is, that goal should take a few hours to complete. And a limit of 4 companies I guess.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:41 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

I'm going to start the server at 3pm UTC +1.

My screenshots

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:37 pm 
Engineer
Engineer

Thank you!! How is it called? So other people can also find it.
I'm having some severe sleep issues so I couldn't come earlier, now it's 7:30 UTC+1 ( = 3:30 PM UTC-3)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:49 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

DesertBus wrote:
Thank you!! How is it called? So other people can also find it.
I'm having some severe sleep issues so I couldn't come earlier, now it's 7:30 UTC+1 ( = 3:30 PM UTC-3)

I called it "Road Vehicles Only". It runs under OpenTTD 1.8.0. No patch, simply a few NewGRFs but no AI. I allowed five trains.

My screenshots

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:43 pm 
Engineer
Engineer

I tried searching for it before with these exact words, and still can't find it now, not showing up on the server list.
I searched for "Road", "Only" and other queries, doesn't show up.
5 trains will havok the whole purpose of the server, specially in such small map (is it 256x256?). 2 trains maximum for an initial profit but nothing more than that. Otherwise it's just like any other server with rail crossing the map up and down and making it difficult to build road networks near cities.
Oh, and very important: if you're gonna enable trains (and to avoid cheating), train's maximum length 4 tiles and maximum station spread 4 tiles

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:04 am 
Tycoon
Tycoon

DesertBus wrote:
I tried searching for it before with these exact words, and still can't find it now, not showing up on the server list.
I searched for "Road", "Only" and other queries, doesn't show up.
5 trains will havok the whole purpose of the server, specially in such small map (is it 256x256?). 2 trains maximum for an initial profit but nothing more than that. Otherwise it's just like any other server with rail crossing the map up and down and making it difficult to build road networks near cities.
Oh, and very important: if you're gonna enable trains (and to avoid cheating), train's maximum length 4 tiles and maximum station spread 4 tiles

It seems it doesn't find it for me either on my other computers...

My screenshots