24 hour timetable orders, ideas?

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Cadde
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

24 hour timetable orders, ideas?

Post by Cadde »

I've messed with the 2cc trainset in NML GRF so that every vehicles reliability decay has been lowered. I wanted this because it just felt unnatural that a train that has been on the track for a few minutes is already in such poor shape that it needs a depot visit on every station. (yes, i am playing on a large map too)

Before that, i had orders to visit depots on the endpoints of every line to keep their reliability up.
But now, reliability goes down much much slower so i would really only need to visit a depot once every 24 ingame hours.

And that's where my dilemma arrives. I could set up a timetable that is 3, 6 or 12 hours long and use a conditional jump to go to depot every 8, 4 or 2 cycles but then the timetables doesn't work out so well because of conditionals.
I could duplicate the order 8, 4 or 2 cycles as well and do the depot order at the end but then i would have to manually fill in every time in the timetable for a lot of stops and travel times. And changing the timetable when the network changes would be a chore and then some.

So i am asking for suggestions on how to solve this dilemma using JGR's Patch Pack either through orders (without it being a chore) or some other signal magic.
Ideas?
kamnet

Re: 24 hour timetable orders, ideas?

Post by kamnet »

Disable breakdowns. Between the patch pack and using a NewGRF set, the breakdown system isn't functional or useful.
Cadde
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Cadde »

I am actually happy with the breakdowns. I was happy with them before i changed the reliability decay. It was the decay that was too fast only and now i am just looking for a way to space out the depot visits without relying on auto maintenance and still being able to use timetables.

If only conditional orders could be used to run the same select orders x times and then finish off with a visit to a depot with the timetable staying intact all would be well. Now i am just looking for other solutions, even if it's through scripting so i can duplicate the orders (with times) on a vehicle a number of times keeping their times and manually add a depot order.
brtom
Engineer
Engineer

Post by brtom »

Here's an idea (not sure it will work):
Repeat your orders so every nth time the train will go to the depot. Here's an example:
A - B - C - B - A - B - C - B - A - B - C - B - DEPOT - A - B - C - B - A - B - C - B etc.
Then depot stops can be timetabled in. If you wanted to keep a standard train pattern (e.g 1 tph) you could then add the amount of time it takes to service as waiting time to every A stop apart from the one after the depot. Hope that works.

Return to “General OpenTTD”