Goods in stations

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

AkwatiKata
Engineer
Engineer

Goods in stations

Post by AkwatiKata »

What happens when I build a factory in town within the catchment area of a station which also accepts goods and bring it steel? Will the goods the factory has produced because of the steel, go to the station and be automatically sold or will they just stand there until transported to another goods accepting station? Or if the goods disappear, will that mean they are sold and do I get the money or what happens with the money from the goods?
Also, what if I build the steel factory next to the factory and deliver iron there, what will happen with the steel? Do I get immediate profits from the steel along with the profits from the goods?
Has anyone tested this yet?
Thanks a bunch
leifbk
Chairman
Chairman

Re: Goods in stations

Post by leifbk »

The best way to find out is usually to go ahead and try it for yourself :)

One caveat if a station both delivers and accepts the same kind of cargo: For vehicles that delivers cargo, be sure to set "Unload and leave empty" in the orders list, unless you really want to transport cargo both ways.
_dp_
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by _dp_ »

It will be basically the same as having two stations. You still need a vehicle to take cargo from station (and factory). As well as to unload it and get money. You can force one vehicle to load and unload at same station, that way cargo will be moving, but you won't get any money for it as transported distance is 0. Btw, it's very easy to check as almost any station in town both provides and accepts passengers and mail.
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

I may be wrong about this, but doesnt the factory only start producing transportable goods (and thus goods that generate income, when transported) after there has been a vehicle to pick it up, triggering that production?
And from that point on, those goods are available from the station where the first pick-up vehicle arrived?

I believe it is then possible to transport those goods back to the same also goods accepting station, but as the transportline isnt very long, not much income will be generated from that...
I dont think that goods or other produce will automatically go to an accepting industry without a vehicle actually transporting it.

EDIT: lol, _dp_ beat me to the answer ;-)
Projects: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=57266
Screenshots: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=56959
Scenario of The Netherlands: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=87604

Winner of the following screenshot competitions:
sep 2012, jan 2013, apr 2013, aug 2013, mar 2014, mar 2016, oct 2020
All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
Sylf
President
President

Post by Sylf »

Quast65 wrote:I may be wrong about this, but doesnt the factory only start producing transportable goods (and thus goods that generate income, when transported) after there has been a vehicle to pick it up, triggering that production?
That actually depends on this setting.
AkwatiKata wrote:...
Think of this way. First, you're getting paid for the transportation service, not for the sale of the goods. Second, industries and houses don't have station catchment area themselves. So, you must at least pick up the cargo and deliver it using a vehicle in order to receive a payment. And the cargoes don't deliver automatically from one industry to another (or to houses) without vehicles.
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

If you want to capitalize on stations both accepting and producing,run mixed trains.
For example,run a train composed of both ore hoppers and steel trucks from an iron mine to a steel mill to a factory.
While you're in the station,the iron ore will be taken from the hoppers,turned into steel,and loaded onto the trucks you then take to the factory.
In this case you'd run non-stop back to the mine,but if the mine was close enough to a population center for the station to accept goods you could add boxcars of goods that would fill at the factory for the return trip instead of deadheading.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

cargo can never be delivered to the station that it originated on, so it will always wait for you to take it somewhere else. if you make a "round trip" with the cargo, it will just stay in the vehicle, and you cannot load any cargo into it.
TimeLapse1357
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by TimeLapse1357 »

Eddi wrote:cargo can never be delivered to the station that it originated on, so it will always wait for you to take it somewhere else. if you make a "round trip" with the cargo, it will just stay in the vehicle, and you cannot load any cargo into it.
Actually, you can do it, if you use a depot and the unload all order.

if the station accepts the same type of cargo that is waiting(steel mill and factory, factory in a town, etc.)

build a depot close by and use these orders orders:
go to station - unload all
go to depot
end of orders

You will get a warning that the vehicle has too few orders in the schedule, but it will work. I have used it as a temporary way to quickly clean out a station that is swamped with cargo. Some times the vehicle will make a small profit each trip.
AkwatiKata
Engineer
Engineer

Post by AkwatiKata »

wow! Thanks everyone :bow: In the end I did run some tests and had a lot of fun

Return to “General OpenTTD”