Patch

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

pETe!
Engineer
Engineer

Patch

Post by pETe! »

Is it in view that the patch features will include in OpenTTD?
Or that the patch will able to work with openttd?
(Well i like hte first suggestion more)
Prof. Frink
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Prof. Frink »

Eventually, all the PatchFeatures will be incorporated into openTTD.
Could take some years to catch up though.
Darkvater
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Darkvater »

Prof. Frink wrote:Eventually, all the PatchFeatures will be incorporated into openTTD.
Could take some years to catch up though.
Don't be so negative :). I'm sure it will take less time.
TrueLight: "Did you bother to read any of the replies, or you just pressed 'Reply' and started typing?"
<@[R-Dk]FoRbiDDeN> "HELP, this litte arrow thing keeps following my mouse, and I can't make it go away."
Prof. Frink
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Prof. Frink »

patchman wrote:Well, you'd still have to implement all the patch features, which is far from trivial. In fact, you'd be spending about 80% of the time I've so far spent on the patch, I think. Especially things like the new graphics support are going to be a lot of work.
Bjarni
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bjarni »

80% sounds like A LOT to me. For some years, the patch was made by one person. openTTD is opensource and sourceforge says 8 people are working on it. Also C is easier to get an overview on than asm and the classes and variables have meaningfull names.
So far the patch took 8 years (I think). Just think how far openTTD will be in one.

Note: I'm not saying it will have all features in one year, but 80% of 8 years is approx. 6 years. That sounds like A LOT
Vurlix
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Vurlix »

My optimistic view tends to suggest most of the TTDPatch features will be available in openttd within 3 months.
spaceman-spiff
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by spaceman-spiff »

Then first get that damned thing working on my pc, until then the patch is and will stay my only friend

And don't get off-topic here, my complaints are in the open ttd section
Well, back to work, lot's of it in the near future
Vurlix
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Vurlix »

spaceman-spiff: if you'd like, join #openttd on irc.freenode.net and we might be able to troubleshoot your problem.
CobraA1
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by CobraA1 »

I'm more optimistic - after all, we're not working in ASM land anymore, we're not doing any reverse engineering (this in itself probably accounts for most of the time spent on the patch), and we have a lot more developers. I think a matter of months is perfectly reasonable.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music he hears, however measured or far away" --Henry David Thoreau

Return to “General OpenTTD”