Important information regarding CVS

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

MadEgg
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MadEgg »

I've modified the source from 0.1.2 which adds a setting to the Game Options menu to change the resolution on the fly, ingame.

Now how would I go about submitting this?

Unfortunately I can't get the latest sourcecode from SVN work, it complains about wrong strings in the english.lng file...
Protect the Banana
MadEgg
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MadEgg »

I got it, /me thinks...

I've included a patch in zipfile. It works against current source in SVN...
Attachments
ttdpatch.zip
patch
(9.33 KiB) Downloaded 179 times
Protect the Banana
GoneWacko
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GoneWacko »

Well after I get the source, I have the source, but I don't know if I can actually compile the thing... :roll:

Would Dev-Cpp be able to compile it?
I don't really understand compiling large projects under Dev-Cpp though...
might try it under cygwin :roll:
GoneWacko. Making [url=irc://irc.oftc.net/tycoon]#tycoon[/url] sexy and exciting since 1784.
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Dev-C++ is just MinGW32 with a fancy GUI. You should in theory be able to go to the OpenTTD dir from a command prompt and type make -f Makefile.mingw. If that doesn't work, grab MinGW32 proper and MSYS from http://www.mingw.org and try that instead.
GoneWacko
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GoneWacko »

Hmm..
Does the make command works under windows?!
(I mean, non-cygwin)
GoneWacko. Making [url=irc://irc.oftc.net/tycoon]#tycoon[/url] sexy and exciting since 1784.
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Should do.
GoneWacko
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GoneWacko »

going to cmd and typing make, make makefile or configure does nothing (as I had expected)

Dev-C++ can't find a file: table/strings.h (IIRC), and I can not find it there either. (I tried compiling the thing by opening ttd.c and pressing compile)

Not sure if it actually works though.

Edit: And cygwin doesn't have SDL but I can't find it in the cygwin installer either...
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Did you type make -f Makefile.mingw (not just make)? Anyway, try to use MinGW and MSYS, not Dev-C++. Download the MinGW SDL libs from http://www.libsdl.org (these should work for Cygwin too).
Vurlix
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Vurlix »

strings.h is generated by strgen. You must run strgen from the openttd source directory to generate it.
http://sf.net/projects/openttd/
Post all your patches and feature requests here.
AlienDNA
Engineer
Engineer

Post by AlienDNA »

I just don't get this updating...
I got svn to download all the source-files. They are in D:\ottdsource. I then made a copy of my OTTD-folder (in case anything goes wrong) in D:\ottd.

Now to update the files in ottd from the source in ottdsource. I tried using Tortoisemerge, but I can't apply the steps describes here. I just get a dialogue that allows me to enter 3 things: base file, their file and your file. I can't select a dir, and the files in the source aren't found in the working copy (seems logical to me). I do notice there is a v in the source-dir, most likely because they contain source.
svn make doesn't work, but it doesn't list it in the available command list either, so that makes sense. Oh, I did get the update command to work... ;)

I don't understand exactly what you have to do. What is the "working copy"? A file, a folder? I suspect that all the source has to be compiled to one single file, but I can't figure out which one, and how to compile it into it...

I'm using Windows 2000 Prof, and the Ottd from the installer (2.1.0 I believe). Thanks for any help I get...
Darkvater
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Darkvater »

AlienDNA. You should go to D:\ do a right mouse click on your ottd directory, and select 'Update' from the context menu to update to latest svn version.
TrueLight: "Did you bother to read any of the replies, or you just pressed 'Reply' and started typing?"
<@[R-Dk]FoRbiDDeN> "HELP, this litte arrow thing keeps following my mouse, and I can't make it go away."
AlienDNA
Engineer
Engineer

Post by AlienDNA »

Darkvater wrote:AlienDNA. You should go to D:\ do a right mouse click on your ottd directory, and select 'Update' from the context menu to update to latest svn version.
I tried, but there isn't an option called "update" on that directory. The option IS available on my source-dir. When I select it, it downloads a small list of files, and tells me it is updated to a new revision (400). There is an option called "Checkout" on the ottd dir (which contains a copy of my normal folder, and is thus the "Working copy"). Can't get that to work right, though...

I think I am just overlooking something very simple, because this can't be hard...
dominik81
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by dominik81 »

The option IS available on my source-dir. When I select it, it downloads a small list of files, and tells me it is updated to a new revision (400).
I don't understand the problem. You seem to be able to get the latest source. When it updates, it only downloads the new files and changes. That's why you only see "a small list of files". The version in that directory is after the the complete sourcecode of OTTD. I should compile without problems in MS Visual C++ or similar.
AlienDNA
Engineer
Engineer

Post by AlienDNA »

Ah, now it is becoming clear to me.
I don't have any problems GETTING the source, as you could read. It is compiling!

How can I compile the source into a playable game?
dominik81
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by dominik81 »

If you don't have any experience developing software or with simple coding, I would not recommand you to try it. You would need a compiler (like MS Visual C++), several Libraries (SDL, LZO, PNG,...) and some patience trying to get it to work.

Just stick with the installer and wait for the release of the next version. The source is supposed for developers and the SVN versions often have bugs or unfinished features. It won't be long until 0.3.0 will be released now.

Return to “General OpenTTD”