Another one?

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Flavius
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Flavius »

Firstly we need to discover Ludde's strategy. Is it a direct translation to C or did he add extendability along the way :?:
Secondly play this thing and catalog the bugs and limits. 8)
Quickly had a look at some files in Visual C, they are impressive and beautifully laid out.
Incidently you can look at C files in any editor i think. :)
George
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by George »

Would the work on OpenTTD and TTDPatch be coordinated? Would it be possible to use TTDPatch graphics with OpenTTD?
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

George wrote:Would the work on OpenTTD and TTDPatch be coordinated?
I doubt it, there's no real reason to. The Patch and OpenTTD are totally different.
George wrote: Would it be possible to use TTDPatch graphics with OpenTTD?
Not currently, but I would imagine that would be one of the first extensions to OpenTTD. However, it's possible that OpenTTD would be designed to use a cleaner way of programming what the various sprites are for, rather than the somewhat cumbersome pseudosprites.
Development Projects Site:
http://www.as-st.com/ttd
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
TBOT
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by TBOT »

Bart wrote:This is big. I think at least the guys from TTU have to stop working on their project, and start working on this. I know plurarity(? - diversity - ) is good, but this is much better!
I don't know if you have any insight in the code, but the design is horrible. The way I see it only Ludde can work with it at the moment, and for someone else it's just a big mess.

TTU will continue, as you can read in my announcement in our section.
"Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding." - Albert Einstein
CobraA1
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by CobraA1 »

The way I see it only Ludde can work with it at the moment, and for someone else it's just a big mess.
I've taken a look, and I can understand at least half of it. As soon as I can get it to compile, I'm bound to take a look and possibly make changes. I've been suggesting adding a queue to the aircraft landing code TTDPatch for a while, but nobody really wanted to do it. Now I can do it myself - it took almost no time to find the point where the aircraft decide whether the runway is taken, and now it'll be trivial to implement my suggested changes now that everything's in C.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music he hears, however measured or far away" --Henry David Thoreau
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Precisely. If you take a good look at the code, it really isn't that hard to understand. It doesn't have the best structure, no, but that's why we should improve it (but not totally rewrite it using OO C++ or anything like that). Gradually, it'd also move away from Chris Sawyer's code to our own.

Attached are Ludde's latest changes to the code, by the way - I tried to attach these earlier, but something was playing up.
Attachments
changes.zip
Latest code. This code is licensed under the GNU General Public License.
(38.11 KiB) Downloaded 291 times
Alltaken
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Alltaken »

note the "ttd Patch" writer said 80% of the work, this is bad bad bad.

and the TTU writer said "the code is a mess"

some on guys its a comunity, i know that competition is here, but A the patch team doesn't need to feel like anything is a waste its been years of good fun and work, TTD was better than ever because of you.

and the TTU team i dunno whats happening with it, i havn't follwed it much sorry.

Alltaken
CobraA1
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by CobraA1 »

(but not totally rewrite it using OO C++ or anything like that)
Why not? We get modularity and flexibility if we write it in OO! I think we should.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music he hears, however measured or far away" --Henry David Thoreau
TBOT
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by TBOT »

CobraA1 wrote:
(but not totally rewrite it using OO C++ or anything like that)
Why not? We get modularity and flexibility if we write it in OO! I think we should.
== TTU :)
Alltaken wrote: and the TTU writer said "the code is a mess"
I said that because as a developer I really think it's a mess. It's kinda like the style me and balloz had when we began with TTS. Since then our style increased tremendously.
The style of the openttd code can be much better, even in C, and I think that's the point to focus on right now for the openttd developers, not all the little extensions...
"Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding." - Albert Einstein
CobraA1
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by CobraA1 »

== TTU
So? TTU has a long ways to go, but here we have it already working.
TBOT
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by TBOT »

CobraA1 wrote:
== TTU
So? TTU has a long ways to go, but here we have it already working.
But here it isn't OO (believe me, you can better start from scratch than try to convert it).

Return to “General OpenTTD”