AXIS - Another eXtreme Industry Set

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

AXIS - Another eXtreme Industry Set

Post by Emperor Jake »

This thread is for the development of XIS and its successor, AXIS.

For the latest AXIS release as of 2023-12-29, skip to this post: viewtopic.php?p=1266401#p1266401

Original XIS release post below:

(outdated download removed. XIS is still available from Bananas)

The Extreme Industry Set

So here's a project I've been working on sporadically for the past year or so: a FIRS fork consisting of an extensive new economy. Featuring 62 cargos and 83 industries, it combines elements of all of the FIRS economies, primarily Extreme and Steeltown. There are many parallel chains so you can pick and choose which ones you want to play with. Since it's based on FIRS 3, the parameters, placement rules, and production/supply mechanics all work the same. If you're reading this you've probably played FIRS already and know how all that works.

I consider this an unofficial successor to FIRS Extreme, since that economy is no more and even when it was it hasn’t been updated in a while. However many people enjoyed the variety it brought, and I hope this new set can fill that gap for some of you :)

Here is the GRF, and a cargo flow chart to get you started. Enjoy!
xis.jpg
The cargo flow chart. Sorry it's a bit hard to read, I had to work with what the FIRS compiler gave me
(2.49 MiB) Not downloaded yet
XIS is on GitHub now!
https://github.com/EmperorJake/XIS

Features:
FIRS3 Steeltown Chain: Includes coke works and the various furnaces and metal factories present in Steeltown. Not as detailed as FIRS4’s Steeltown obviously, but that means it fits in better with the rest.

Expanded oil/petrochemical chain: In addition to the usual oil rigs and refineries, you can now extract oil from other sources such as coal and oil sands, choose to send it to a Cracking Plant if you need more fuel, and make synthetic fibres and rubber at the Polymer Plant.

Raw materials from other economies: Zinc, Copper, Nitrates etc. all feature full production chains, unlike the partial ones found in the FIRS Basic economies.

Fully integrated economy: All industry chains go from raw material to finished product. This is great for larger maps meant to represent an entire country and not just a smaller region. It’s also good for cooperative multiplayer games where each player can focus on part of the chain.

Design goals:
My original idea came to me when I was first trying out FIRS 3 Steeltown, thinking it was a fun alternative to the ubiquitous Extreme economy. However, while adding lots of fun and excellent complexity to the steel chains, it would grossly oversimplify the food chain, and completely remove other important cargos like goods, oil and wood. So I began by combining Extreme with Steeltown in order to get the best of both worlds. But one FIRS feature still bothered me...

I wasn't a fan when "magic ports" were introduced and made integral parts of the economy (I.e. when Bauxite Mines were removed and the Bulk Terminal became the only source of Bauxite). So my original plan was to remove them, but after realising they can be put to good use, I made them secondary sources of cargo. (Some credits to Romazoon for this idea) Getting supplies from Ports is convenient, after all. Therefore, anything you can get from a "magic port" is also available as a product of a normal industry which means you're not limited to the reduced production and prevalence of the ports, and instead have more sources for certain materials. This allows for large fully self-contained maps, where you don't have to pretend invisible ships are leaving the map to trade with far-off lands.

Now XIS contains several industries and cargos which aren't in FIRS. Since I only have a surface-level understanding of the FIRS codebase, I had to reskin these from existing FIRS industries and cargos I wasn't going to use. (e.g. the Manufacturing Plant uses the internal code of the Vineyard and borrows layouts from the Assembly Plant, and Oil Sands is just renamed Phosphates and still uses the PHOS cargolabel) This is why the code is horrendously bodgy inside, and I hope to improve it in the future, but hey, it works :twisted:

So in short, this is an unofficial successor to the FIRS3 Extreme economy, and as such it continues the idea of several parallel cargo chains and of generic cargos that can represent a variety of things (i.e. Parts and Packaging)

The future of XIS:
Currently there is only one economy, which I call "The Lot" because it's like a burger with the lot - it has a bit of everything. Because this leads to things that might not make sense such as having rubber plantations in arctic, I might eventually include climate-specific economies with a few minor tweaks but the same overall economy. In the meantime you can just choose not to build those industries where there is an alternative (Rubber can also be produced synthetically by the Polymer Plant, for example.) There can also be an economy that removes the magic ports to prevent port spam in competitive multiplayer games.

As development continues I will improve some industries visually by adding new layouts and graphics to make it distinct from FIRS. After all, some industries are currently reskins or just have their ground tiles changed to tell them apart.

In the longer-term, I may eventually do a full recode of the set using FIRS 4 as a base, which will enable the use of the 16 cargos in/out feature and a much more complex economy. I have some ideas for this waiting but it probably won't happen any time soon :)

Languages:
Currently only English is offered, since some industries have changed names and many new strings have been added, this would be confusing for any non-English players. If you want to contribute translations, just say so and I will provide an edited lang file to fill out.
Attachments
xis2.PNG
All of the industries featured in XIS
(1.16 MiB) Not downloaded yet
Last edited by Emperor Jake on 28 Dec 2023 14:38, edited 7 times in total.
fridaemon
Director
Director

Re: Coming Soon

Post by fridaemon »

hmmm :twisted:
ImageImageImageImageImage
Beach Objects * Shopping Centres * Skyscrapers * Garage Entrances
Modular Warehouses * Trucks & Buses Parking Lots * Bus Depots * Bus Terminals
Road Waypoints * Road Stops * Eyecandy Objects * Building Set

Winner of the Screenshot of 09/20, 11/20, 02/21, 06/21, 07/21, 05/22 and 06/22.:twisted:
rbos86
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by rbos86 »

This rocks.
rbos86' Screenshots thread is here
rbos86' Unrealistic Dutch games -thread, on the other hand,is this button
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

Hmmmm, is this not spam?! :lol:

Looking forwards to seeing what you come out with next Jake!
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: XIS - Extreme Industry Set

Post by Emperor Jake »

Pilot wrote: 19 Aug 2020 11:30 Hmmmm, is this not spam?! :lol:

Looking forwards to seeing what you come out with next Jake!
I just needed a URL to paste into the GRF before I released it, but anyway, here it is! Any and all feedback is appreciated, and I hope you enjoy playing with it as much as I do! :D

As an added bonus, remember how ugly the fruit plantations looked when combining FIRS with Japan Set Landscape?

Well here's what they look like under XIS!
rbos86
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by rbos86 »

rbos86 wrote: 19 Aug 2020 11:23This rocks.
I agree with this guy.
Not exactly a graphics set I was dreaming about, but it still rocks.
rbos86' Screenshots thread is here
rbos86' Unrealistic Dutch games -thread, on the other hand,is this button
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

phwoar-v9mcck.jpg
phwoar-v9mcck.jpg (171.63 KiB) Viewed 269054 times
Projects: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=57266
Screenshots: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=56959
Scenario of The Netherlands: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=87604

Winner of the following screenshot competitions:
sep 2012, jan 2013, apr 2013, aug 2013, mar 2014, mar 2016, oct 2020
All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

that looks pretty amazing, looking forward to try it
what are you looking at? it's a signature!
d0mi3l
Engineer
Engineer

Post by d0mi3l »

Could you put in a parameter to include companies established by date?
I've been playing a lot since 1700, so I'd like a more realistic game.

:roll:
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

d0mi3l wrote: 24 Aug 2020 09:01 Could you put in a parameter to include companies established by date?
I've been playing a lot since 1700, so I'd like a more realistic game.
Sorry, the current iteration of XIS isn't really designed for 1700 starts. There should be enough to play with but it won't be entirely realistic, but overall it's better suited for 1850-1900 starts.

Also I've far from mastered the FIRS code yet, so I can't add parameters right now. But an economy geared towards early starts is on the ideas list, and might happen one day :)
2TallTyler
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by 2TallTyler »

One challenge with coding industries for early starts is that the Industry Density setting chooses a total industry count based on the setting and the map size, with no regard to how many industries of each type should be allowed. If you start in 1700, it'll fill its quota and the map with whichever industries are available, without leaving room for industries which are invented later.

I bypassed this in Improved Town Industries by controlling how many of each industry are allowed to spawn within the NewGRF, but it's an ugly solution and I'm not sure I'd try it again. I'd be happy to provide and explain code to anyone interested in trying or improving upon it, however.
Gadg8eer
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Gadg8eer »

Emperor Jake wrote: 25 Aug 2020 10:56...
Can I give some suggestions for XIS?

I was going to create an industry set at some point but you've covered everything I wanted to except one thing: The ECS graphics.

George says that some of the ECS graphics are ECS exclusive in license, but the following graphics could be part of an XIS addon set because a) George has granted permission to use under CC BY-NC-SA, or b) the other artists of the graphics are either fine with it (Zimmlock) or are still around to be asked for permissions.

ECS Coal Mine
ECS Power Plant
ECS Glass Works
ECS Brick Works
ECS Cement Works
ECS Oil Wells (Specifically the tower, the office and the storage tanks)
ECS Oil Refinery
ECS Chemical Plant
ECS Plastic Plant
ECS Bauxite Mine (We'd have to remove the Excavators because they were created by OzTrans, and replace the train cars because they were made by an artist who is no longer around. Would be a good opportunity to alter the graphics to work with UReRMM and Michal Blunk's upcoming DBRails.)
ECS Aluminum Plant
ECS Forest
ECS Paper Mill
ECS Fishing Grounds
ECS Animal Farm
ECS Brewery
ECS Food Plant
ECS Textile Mill

Now before you complain about how much work this feels like, just hear me out. Can you do one of the following?

a) Work with me on creating an XIS addon using ECS graphics that disables the FIRS-derived counterparts in XIS, or b) find a way to make XIS compatible with the ECS vectors?

Thanks for your time, and sorry if this feels like a big request; I don't want to pressure you into anything, but it would be nice to collaborate with you on this or at least see some of the ECS graphics return in a big way.
I have Asperger's, please be easy on me about stuff. My apologies if I've been a problem for you in the past.
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

Gadg8eer wrote: 27 Aug 2020 03:36 I was going to create an industry set at some point but you've covered everything I wanted to except one thing: The ECS graphics.

George says that some of the ECS graphics are ECS exclusive in license, but the following graphics could be part of an XIS addon set because a) George has granted permission to use under CC BY-NC-SA, or b) the other artists of the graphics are either fine with it (Zimmlock) or are still around to be asked for permissions.
Hey, as you know it is my plan to improve the visual aspect of XIS using different graphics to set it apart from FIRS. I had actually considered using some ECS graphics before, but you just reminded me of how nice some of them really are :) I hadn't looked into the licensing yet so thanks for taking care of that.

It's likely that ECS graphics will make its way into this set eventually, but it will be combined with other graphics from GarryG and myself. For some industries I'll probably replace the graphics completely (those oil wells look much nicer than the default ones) For others I might include both versions side by side as alternate layouts. I can't use all of them, especially the Bauxite Mine in that form because it's a pain to code and built with the slopes and also I'm not a fan of having a fake train inside the industry.
Gadg8eer wrote: 27 Aug 2020 03:36 a) Work with me on creating an XIS addon using ECS graphics that disables the FIRS-derived counterparts in XIS, or b) find a way to make XIS compatible with the ECS vectors?
The easiest option would be to simply remove any FIRS layouts once the ECS alternative ones are coded in. As mentioned before I'm using purely FIRS code which I can only edit to a certain extent, so trying to adapt XIS to be ECS compatible is way out of scope for me. But if you do figure out the FIRS code and can help me code industry layouts, that would be a nice help :) (it's quite understandable once you get the hang of it, just different from NML)
Gadg8eer
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Gadg8eer »

Emperor Jake wrote: 27 Aug 2020 10:16
Gadg8eer wrote: 27 Aug 2020 03:36 I was going to create an industry set at some point but you've covered everything I wanted to except one thing: The ECS graphics.

Hey, as you know it is my plan to improve the visual aspect of XIS using different graphics to set it apart from FIRS. I had actually considered using some ECS graphics before, but you just reminded me of how nice some of them really are :) I hadn't looked into the licensing yet so thanks for taking care of that.

It's likely that ECS graphics will make its way into this set eventually, but it will be combined with other graphics from GarryG and myself. For some industries I'll probably replace the graphics completely (those oil wells look much nicer than the default ones) For others I might include both versions side by side as alternate layouts. I can't use all of them, especially the Bauxite Mine in that form because it's a pain to code and built with the slopes and also I'm not a fan of having a fake train inside the industry.
Fair enough! The bauxite mine on a slope sounds complicated, I don't blame you for wanting to skip it.
Emperor Jake wrote: 27 Aug 2020 10:16
Gadg8eer wrote: 27 Aug 2020 03:36 a) Work with me on creating an XIS addon using ECS graphics that disables the FIRS-derived counterparts in XIS, or b) find a way to make XIS compatible with the ECS vectors?
The easiest option would be to simply remove any FIRS layouts once the ECS alternative ones are coded in. As mentioned before I'm using purely FIRS code which I can only edit to a certain extent, so trying to adapt XIS to be ECS compatible is way out of scope for me. But if you do figure out the FIRS code and can help me code industry layouts, that would be a nice help :) (it's quite understandable once you get the hang of it, just different from NML)
I'm currently working on adapting the OpenGFX Mars Industuries to work alongside the OpenGFX Mars Houses Late Start (the houses start appearing in 2030) and XIS. They'll be modified to first appear at some point in the near future (2030+) and to be properly aligned with the base graphics (OGFX Mars is misaligned for some reason). Since the cargoes for Mars are different than normal, I'm wondering if you have any suggestions about which cargoes to remove?

Code: Select all

# Cargo unit name
STR_COLONISTS_UNIT_NAME               :Passenger
STR_NITROGEN_UNIT_NAME                :Nitrogen
STR_OXYGEN_UNIT_NAME                  :Oxygen
STR_HYDROGEN_UNIT_NAME                :Hydrogen
STR_CHEMICALS_UNIT_NAME               :Chemicals
STR_MIXED_ORED_UNIT_NAME              :Mixed Ore
STR_ORGANICS_UNIT_NAME                :Organics
STR_FERTILISER_UNIT_NAME              :Fertiliser
STR_PLASTICS_UNIT_NAME                :Plastics
STR_COMPONENTS_UNIT_NAME              :Component
STR_FOOD_UNIT_NAME                    :Food
STR_GOOD_UNIT_NAME                    :Good
STR_MACHINERY_UNIT_NAME               :Machine
STR_WATER_UNIT_NAME                   :Water
STR_REGOLITH_UNIT_NAME                :Regolith
I have Asperger's, please be easy on me about stuff. My apologies if I've been a problem for you in the past.
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

I like how Quarry, Oil Sands Mine, Clay Pit, Bauxite Mine, Lithium Mine are different colours but just that, it seems it's just a colour shift.
I think it would be great if they also look a bit different, ie. different layouts, maybe different buildings types around them etc
what are you looking at? it's a signature!
Gadg8eer
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Gadg8eer »

Emperor Jake wrote: 27 Aug 2020 10:16...
Hey, would it be possible to add the WSTE [Waste] cargo from Improved Town industries? It would be interesting to be in charge of waste disposal.
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

Gadg8eer wrote: 01 Sep 2020 22:51
Hey, would it be possible to add the WSTE [Waste] cargo from Improved Town industries? It would be interesting to be in charge of waste disposal.
It should be possible to modify Improved Town Industries to function as an add-on to XIS or FIRS3. You would need to remove all other code from ITI except the waste cargo, then either rename WSTE to RCYC so that it can be sent directly to the Recycling plant, OR to add an extra layer of complexity you could make the Recycling Depot accept WSTE and produce RCYC from that :twisted: I haven't had a look at ITI code yet so I'm not sure how hard that is. Or if it's possible to "override" FIRS/XIS industries without making a new economy to change the recycling depots

However adding ITI code to XIS is out of scope for reasons mentioned above :wink:
SHADOW-XIII wrote: 28 Aug 2020 22:19 I like how Quarry, Oil Sands Mine, Clay Pit, Bauxite Mine, Lithium Mine are different colours but just that, it seems it's just a colour shift.
I think it would be great if they also look a bit different, ie. different layouts, maybe different buildings types around them etc
Yep as stated before the first priority was to get the GRF fully functional, more variety and layouts will come eventually :)
2TallTyler
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by 2TallTyler »

There’s actually no need for any ITI code, since Waste is actually generated in Improved Town Layouts. It would be easy for ITL to detect an industry NewGRF (as it currently does with ITI) and generate WSTE, RCYC, or any desired cargo type with only a small change to the code.

I haven’t added support for FIRS or XIS yet because the Recycling Depot already generates RCYC based in town population. I see two options with only minor changes to ITL and XIS:

XIS: When ITL is loaded, the Recycling Depot is disabled.
ITL: When XIS is loaded, houses produce RCYC, using the cargo definition in XIS.

XIS: When ITL is loaded, the Recycling Depot accepts WSTE and converts it to RCYC. Normal population-based RCYC generation is disabled. A new cargo definition for WSTE is added (it’s currently defined in ITI).
ITL: When XIS is loaded, houses produce WSTE.

If you’d like to do either, let me know and I’d be happy to make the requisite changes to ITL and share my code for detecting a compatible version of ITL.
Gadg8eer
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Gadg8eer »

Emperor Jake wrote: 02 Sep 2020 10:42
Gadg8eer wrote: 01 Sep 2020 22:51
It should be possible to modify Improved Town Industries to function as an add-on to XIS or FIRS3. You would need to remove all other code from ITI except the waste cargo, then either rename WSTE to RCYC so that it can be sent directly to the Recycling plant, OR to add an extra layer of complexity you could make the Recycling Depot accept WSTE and produce RCYC from that :twisted: I haven't had a look at ITI code yet so I'm not sure how hard that is. Or if it's possible to "override" FIRS/XIS industries without making a new economy to change the recycling depots

However adding ITI code to XIS is out of scope for reasons mentioned above :wink:
2TallTyler wrote: 02 Sep 2020 14:12 There’s actually no need for any ITI code, since Waste is actually generated in Improved Town Layouts. It would be easy for ITL to detect an industry NewGRF (as it currently does with ITI) and generate WSTE, RCYC, or any desired cargo type with only a small change to the code.

I haven’t added support for FIRS or XIS yet because the Recycling Depot already generates RCYC based in town population. I see two options with only minor changes to ITL and XIS:

XIS: When ITL is loaded, the Recycling Depot is disabled.
ITL: When XIS is loaded, houses produce RCYC, using the cargo definition in XIS.

XIS: When ITL is loaded, the Recycling Depot accepts WSTE and converts it to RCYC. Normal population-based RCYC generation is disabled. A new cargo definition for WSTE is added (it’s currently defined in ITI).
ITL: When XIS is loaded, houses produce WSTE.

If you’d like to do either, let me know and I’d be happy to make the requisite changes to ITL and share my code for detecting a compatible version of ITL.
Does this change anything for you, Jake? If not, I'd love to help you out by maintaining the code for ITL compatibility.

Return to “Graphics Development”