FIRS and CHIPS style objects (FaCso) v0.1.10
Industry and miscellaneous tiles as objects, to expand and prettify/grungify your industrial areas, based on graphics by the FIRS team (andythenorth, planetmaker, FooBar and many others).
There are a lot of my own sprite edits and variants in the set, but it's all based on (and in the spirit of) the work of the people mentioned above!
You don't need FIRS or CHIPS to use this NewGRF, but why wouldn't you use them?
FaCso 0.1.10 IS OUT! NEW COMPANION MOD, CIRso! COMPATIBILITY NOTES! IMPORTANT!
Get these two mods through BaNaNas and in this post's attachments.
Feel free to make suggestions and to check out the source files; you may find the files pretty useful as a starter pack for making object sets of your own. It has a lot of basic functionality in it (multi-tile buildings, animations, multiple views, randomized and terrain switches, company colors/2CC, overlays, etc.).
NEW IN 0.1.10:
* FaCso: New inclusions: Ammonia and plastics plant sets completed and expanded (all 2CC). FIRS flour mill/plantation buildings (mediterranean style) in terrain-aware and cobblestone groundtile flavors; I created a lot of new variants I plan to add more misc. buildings in this category.
* FaCso: Fixed a few oversights, such as incorrect groundtypes for some buildings and purchase menu images not being lined up quite right.
* CIRso: added terrain-aware ISR-style pipelines. Transitional tiles for these as well as fence crossings are in the works.
NEW IN 0.1.9:
* Additions: FIRS 4 Cryo plant buildings, OpenGFX Lumber Mill buildings (used in FIRS), lots of FIRS/CHIPS small misc. buildings.
NEW IN 0.1.8:
* Now with full support for 2CC!
* Massively increased the amount of objects in the set, with tons of new variations!
* Completely reworked code!
* Purchase menu now much more organized!
0.1.8 & ONWARDS: MAIN RELEASE CHANGELOG & NOTES:
* 0.1.8 is the first "main release". All of the code has been redone and the purchase menu has been completely reorganized.
NOTE TO USERS OF v0.1.7 OR OLDER: IF YOU TRY TO LOAD YOUR SAVEGAME AFTER UPDATING TO FaCSO 0.1.8 OR NEWER, THINGS WILL GET WEIRD.
This release should be a stable platform and it's unlikely that I'll have to break backwards compatibility again.
* Fences, terrain transitions and decorative cargo tiles have been spun off into their own newGRF, called CIRso (CHIPS Industrial Renewal style objects).
Intention is to the gap between ISR/DWE style sprites and FIRS/CHIPS style sprites with a solid mix of dirt, concrete, cobblestone and (slightly cleaner) ISR/DWE ground transition tiles.
You even get two flavors of terrain-aware transitionals, so you can mix-and-match with openGFX style snow as well as FIRS-style (brighter) snow.
A lot of these were done by yours truly, based on existing FIRS graphics.
Most FIRS industrial buildings are available; farms and the like will come eventually, but are not a priority.
* Second company color (2CC) support has been implemented across the board.
* Purchase menu has been overhauled and consolidated. Most of the purchase menu items have 4 views, and most views have 3 to 4 randomized variants (sometimes less, rarely more).
The purchase menu object description will mention if the object has 2CC support and/or randomized variations. Just keep clicking until you get what you want, ISR-style.
* I've received a few comments about how some of the player colors are making some buildings "pop" too much. Others have asked whether I plan to include *all* player colors.
As things stand, it's not likely. I don't have a solution for providing all player colors for all objects without:
A. completely cluttering up the purchase menu
B. and also running into the newGRF limit of 256 objects
I might add some more neutrally-colored or toned-down versions of specific objects, and am open to requests.
For now, I recommend choosing a less saturated color scheme for your primary and/or secondary company color.
* Support for snow-aware buildings is in the works! For now, only the animated mine carts have this feature.
Currently the plan is to start with the "dirt"-based set of objects (mines, lime kiln, copper refinery, pyrite smelter, steel mill, etc.).
Snow-aware buildings will be rolled out *very* gradually. Not all FIRS industries are snow-aware; I'll be providing sprites back to FIRS when I need to create them.
Then again, as there are few industrial object sets that support snow-aware graphics (ISR for example), this would visually clash. Still split on this issue; feedback welcome.
CHANGELOG: OLDER VERSIONS:
0.1.8 screenshots by AlexTheDacian, showing how to combine FaCso & CIRso with ISR and other newGRFs!
The originating mods are under the GPL-v2 license, so I guess that applies to this project too.
Much gratitude to the people who have spent all these years coding, modding, spriting, developing and documenting.
Thanks to GarryG for uploading many of his Auz objects newGRF source files, which I learned quite a bit from.
Special shout outs to spnda, Gwyd and Erato on the openTTD Discord for helping me get started with openTTD modding!
AlexTheDacian, you are the hype king and I appreciate that so much. Thanks for sharing your screenshots featuring my projects!