Coding station graphics

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Saskia
Director
Director

Coding station graphics

Post by Saskia »

Patchman wrote:Feel free to use my station test grf from http://www.ttdpatch.net/src/newgrfdemo/newstat.zip for that purpose.

Otherwise, ask here or ask me (email) for help to get it working...
Thanks, I already played around with it months ago, but there was a bug, that mixed up all station graphics :( I'll try it again with a fresh file, today.

For all others: in any case, change the GRF-ID from 0xffffffff to something more appropiate.
Patchman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Patchman »

If you don't need the advanced features of a custom layout or a custom sprite scheme, it's really quite straightforward. Not more complicated than vehicles.

An example (remove "#" comments):

Code: Select all

// Automatically generated by GRFCODEC. Do not modify!
// (Info version 4)
// Format: spritenum pcxfile xpos ypos compression ysize xsize xrel yrel
    0 * 4        18 00 00 00
# Action 8 to set GRFID, pick your own here!
    1 * 8        08 05 4a 44 32 33 00 00
# Set TEST class for station ID 0
    2 * 67       00 04 01 01 00 08 54 45 53 54
# Define the sprite set, 18(dec) sprites like in regular TTD stations
    3 * 4        01 04 01 12
# here follow 18 real sprites
   [...]
# Action 2 for the station
   21 * 9        02 04 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
# Action 3
   22 * 7        03 04 01 00 00 00 00
# give it the name "Station A"
   23 * 17       04 04 9F 01 00 C5 98 53 74 61 74 69 6f 6e 20 41 00
# set the name of station class (TEST) to "Station test"
   24 * 20       04 04 9F 01 00 C4 98 53 74 61 74 69 6f 6e 20 74 65 73 74 00
Only a few things to remember:
  • You must have a valid GRFID
  • You must first set prop. 08 (class) for all IDs in order, starting from ID 0
Last edited by Patchman on 21 Jun 2004 15:29, edited 1 time in total.
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

This sounds like a good project: Going through Dinges' graphics website, collecting all the alternate station graphics, and re-coding them into this format so they can be available for selection and use all in the same game.
Development Projects Site:
http://www.as-st.com/ttd
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
Saskia
Director
Director

Post by Saskia »

Yeah, my first station works! :D I only have to draw another perspective and add some details, then it's finished :D
lobster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lobster »

does this actually mean there are new stations coming soon? in that case i'll start drawing as well right away! :shock:
"Your mother was a lobster, and your father... was also a lobster" -- The rascal formerly known as astath -- Last.fm -- Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club

<orudge> make love to me while I surf, dear lobster
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

There have been new stations for a long time, it's just that they were EXE files which overwrote the default stations. They didn't work with the new station-selecting code. The idea of this project is to go back and re-form those old graphics so they can be used with the selections - that way, you can have all of them in a game instead of just one. And if you draw more, well then they can be included too. I don't believe there's a limit on the number of stations allowed, except for the hard limit of the maximum number of sprites in the game.
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
lobster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lobster »

that's exactly what i was talking aboot. i think this is the very best project in times and i'm really looking forward. and abbot to draw me own stuff soon., i'll actually do my best.
"Your mother was a lobster, and your father... was also a lobster" -- The rascal formerly known as astath -- Last.fm -- Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club

lobster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lobster »

the station graphics didn't work and caused a crash. too bad.

anyhoo, i want to draw a station as well. i just don't know where to start.

Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

astath wrote:anyhoo, i want to draw a station as well. i just don't know where to start.
Well, just start drawing thingies (platforms, lights, roofs) and hope the station creator will be finished soon. I did the same thing.
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
lobster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lobster »

nah, i want to create cool stations like blunck's, just for the coolness. i'll start in a couple of minutes. maybe it'll be a new project, because i'll need coders if everything works out.

saskia: was your new station thing for dos or win ttdp?

lobster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lobster »

ok, here's one... i tried to make. in approx. 30 minutes. i just want to know if it works, i'm trying to make it myself work, but i'm bad at it. i only changed the first 4, the other 2 remained intact. see for yourself.
Attachments
noact.pcx
Here's the PCX. Colors are correct, if i'm right.
(6.91 KiB) Downloaded 1218 times

Bart
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bart »

PCX :?
Attachments
noact[1].png
noact[1].png (4.48 KiB) Viewed 6269 times
[url=CALLTO://Sgreehder]Image[/url]
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Looks very good!
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Korenn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Korenn »

what does it look like in game?
lobster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lobster »

purno: thanks.

korenn: i have no idea. i'm not able to create a *.grf yet.

i'll make a couple of more try-outs tonight.

Korenn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Korenn »

could you mock up a screenshot in photoshop or something?

coz I have no idea how those things will look :D
lobster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lobster »

hmm, i could... but i won't. :P imagine it being the same as a regular 1-track station but the left 4 being the flat parts and the other 2 on the right being the middle things... i'll try and see if i can make a multiple-track-version as well. for now, this is the current design.

could anyone create a working *.grf for DOS-TTD for me out of this? i still don't understand anything aboot the entire encoding thingie.

bart: understood your subtle remark. :roll:
Attachments
Added middle graphs.
Added middle graphs.
noact011.png (5.27 KiB) Viewed 6201 times

lobster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lobster »

since i was bored and my multiple-track-station wasn't working out, i decided to photoshop a station for ya, korenn. here it is, how it might look like. although remember: it IS photoshopped.
Attachments
newst_screenshot.png
newst_screenshot.png (122.37 KiB) Viewed 6176 times

Raven
Director
Director

Post by Raven »

some more ideas of stations, a Diesel shunter passing a rural checkpoint, and a Glaskasten tank with first class wagons stopping at a Town Station (unfinished)
Attachments
Stats.png
Stats.png (3.37 KiB) Viewed 6164 times
6th Member of the Reciox - The Inner Circle

pak96 Simutrans Depot
http://www.raven.simutrans.com
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

For sure that checkpoint is fine the way it is, can you submit the two views of it and I'll see if I can get somebody to encode it? We know the checkpoint code works.

Return to “Graphics Development”