UKRS3 - the UK Revival Set

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

UKRS3 - the UK Revival Set

Post by PikkaBird »

Hi all!

I've posted a nice, lengthy new blog post at http://pikkarail.com/announcements/hello-again-world/

TLDR; Alpha 1 of UKRS3 is now available on my Patreon page.

I'm sure many people will be wondering why I've gone down the Patreon route. There are a couple of reasons: firstly, of course, even a modest income would help justify the time and effort I’d like to put into creating this content, allowing me to create more, and create faster. But secondly, it's an opportunity to bring more of the community into the development process: like most developers, most of what I've made for OpenTTD has never been released, because it never reached a stage that was suitable for mass consumption. Having a more controlled environment like Patreon will allow work to be shared much earlier in the development cycle, with more feedback, and more motivation.

As always, let me know what you think. :)
Tony Pixel
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Re: New blog post, Patreon announcement, and UKRS3

Post by Tony Pixel »

Hello with returning, it's good :D. I can help You with graphics at summer.
Image Image
Sprite artist and NewGRF developer, coding in NML. My projects:
NewGRFs: Not Enough Subways Set | North American Passenger Railroads | Elevated Subway Bridge | Tony Pixel's Subway Equipment Set (frozen)
Screenshots: New York City Subway Episodes
Gwyd
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Gwyd »

I don't think he wants help... Anyway the sprites (from the previews) look as great as ever!
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

8bpp extrazoom ?!
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

acs121 wrote:8bpp extrazoom ?!
The trains are 32bpp - that is, they're not limited to the TTD 256 colour palette - but they are hand-drawn pixel sprites, made in the same way as a traditional 8bpp set. Tony Pixel asked me in PM what program I draw in: I use PaintShop Pro 7 - which is very old, but what I'm used to for pixel graphics. If I were starting today I'd use GIMP or paint.net.

Another tool I'm using to create graphics is Processing, for procedural generation of ground tiles and wall textures. I've added a couple of posts about Processing sprites, including an alpha of my ground tiles and some example code, to the Patreon page this morning. :)
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

PikkaBird wrote:
acs121 wrote:8bpp extrazoom ?!
The trains are 32bpp - that is, they're not limited to the TTD 256 colour palette - but they are hand-drawn pixel sprites, made in the same way as a traditional 8bpp set. Tony Pixel asked me in PM what program I draw in: I use PaintShop Pro 7 - which is very old, but what I'm used to for pixel graphics. If I were starting today I'd use GIMP or paint.net.

Another tool I'm using to create graphics is Processing, for procedural generation of ground tiles and wall textures. I've added a couple of posts about Processing sprites, including an alpha of my ground tiles and some example code, to the Patreon page this morning. :)
It looks awesome anyways, i like seeing new graphics, especially in 32bpp. It would then lack road vehicles, but honestly you could do something with HOVS, though it's no more updated.
CMircea
Chairman
Chairman

Post by CMircea »

No way! :shock:

Between UKRS3, RUKTS and BORTS it's going to get interesting. :mrgreen:

I'm curious, what made you decide to start making stuff for TTD again? Between UKRS3 and the CivilAI updates, it sure looks like you've been busy lately. I remember you decided all of your mods were done and quit quite a while ago.
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

CMircea wrote:I'm curious, what made you decide to start making stuff for TTD again? Between UKRS3 and the CivilAI updates, it sure looks like you've been busy lately.
I've come across a few things recently which have reminded me how much I love OpenTTD and creating for it - I've been doing some architecture units at Uni, and my 5-year-old nephew is getting interested in trains... :)

On the other hand, I'm at a point in my life right now where I need to prioritise paying work - hence the Patreon. I've had a bit of spare time the last few weeks to pick everything back up, but it'll be difficult to sustain if I can't at least make a modest income from it. It's the same problem that lead me to Kickstarter a few years ago, but I'm hoping Patreon - and UKRS3 - will be a better fit for the community.
FulliAutomatix
Engineer
Engineer

Post by FulliAutomatix »

Wow, this is a really nice suprise :D
Great to see you working on more UK graphics, I've always loved them. Can't wait to see what you have in the future for this!
FulliAutomatix
Engineer
Engineer

Post by FulliAutomatix »

Btw if you're looking for newer sounds I've recently done a big trip of recording myself, I'm willing to share them if you would like. DM me if you are interested :P
Dave

Post by Dave »

Cor blimey.

That little teaser line up is very pleasant. If you wait a couple of months I might be able to make a regular donation.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

To be honest, when I first saw this thread I was a bit dissappointed, because I thought you were going kind of commercial.
But then I also read your blog ;-)
And I think it is maybe handy to add this paragraph to your first post (and maybe also in the description on your Patreon-site):
Thirdly, I’ve set up a Patreon page. The final versions of all my NewGRFs and other OpenTTD content will always be made available for free via the in-game content service; but for those who’d like to be involved in early development, would like insight into the techniques and theories behind the GRFs, or who just want to support me in creating content, take a look here. I know I’m never going to make a living making graphics for OpenTTD, but any support from the community is appreciated and motivating, and even a modest income will help justify the time and effort I’d like to put into creating this content. Initially, I’m going to be uploading and discussing alpha versions of UKRS3, as well as a set of 32bpp landscape tiles I’ve been working on. Going forward, the Patreon will give me the ability to create tutorials, templates, resources, and even commission opportunities for the community.
Especially the line I made green, made me happy ;-)
I think it is ok to support a developer (or development team) to finally get a free-for-all result (be it GRFs, AI's, patches, or maybe even updates of Trunk, etc) or also the maintaining and moderating of this Forum.

Is it also possible to make a single donation? I dont think I personally will be interested enough to make monthly donations, but maybe one or two once in a while could be possible... ;-)
Projects: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=57266
Screenshots: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=56959
Scenario of The Netherlands: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=87604

Winner of the following screenshot competitions:
sep 2012, jan 2013, apr 2013, aug 2013, mar 2014, mar 2016, oct 2020
All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

Quast65 wrote:Is it also possible to make a single donation? I dont think I personally will be interested enough to make monthly donations, but maybe one or two once in a while could be possible... ;-)
There's an old paypal donation button on https://pikkarail.com/trainz/ which still works, if you'd like to go down that route. Someone asked me in PM about cryptocurrencies, too - sorry, that's not really something I do.

The advantage of using Patreon is how simple a platform it is for sharing alpha files and other development goodies. It's something I can build on as time goes by, rather than being a one-off donation drive.
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

Good to know!

By the way, I dug a bit around at Patreon and a one-off is also a possibility:
https://patreon.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/ar ... e-payment-
Simple, just delete the pledge after a payment ;-)
Projects: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=57266
Screenshots: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=56959
Scenario of The Netherlands: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=87604

Winner of the following screenshot competitions:
sep 2012, jan 2013, apr 2013, aug 2013, mar 2014, mar 2016, oct 2020
All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

86comp.png
86comp.png (14.25 KiB) Viewed 14595 times
It's fun comparing the new sprites to UKRS2. I didn't reference the old sprite at all while drawing, but in shape and texture it's come out very similar, despite being higher resolution and 32bpp. :)
CMircea
Chairman
Chairman

Post by CMircea »

The new one looks quite a bit taller. Aren't you going to keep the smaller loading gauge?
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

CMircea wrote:The new one looks quite a bit taller. Aren't you going to keep the smaller loading gauge?
The smaller loading gauge was always a bit of a strange idea - there were few enough pixels as it was, without drawing vehicles even smaller. The new one also looks taller because it's equal-height in the diagonal view, which older TTD sprites often weren't.
CMircea
Chairman
Chairman

Post by CMircea »

PikkaBird wrote:The smaller loading gauge was always a bit of a strange idea
The smaller UKRS trains do look nice, though. I think they fit better in the TTD proportions, they don't appear that massive next to houses for example. On the other hand if you mix trainsets it looks very weird, plus road vehicles also look just as large if not larger than train vehicles.

I like how the new 32bpp sprites look, the details are very nice at the original size :D
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

CMircea wrote:I think they fit better in the TTD proportions, they don't appear that massive next to houses for example.
All depends how big the houses are, doesn't it? ;)

To answer your question from the other thread:
CMircea wrote:For UKRS3 it would be great if later trains would be added, but still regular rail, not monorail/maglev, as far as maybe 2050.
I'm not going to do futuristic vehicles, primarily because players don't connect as much with fictional vehicles. Given the complexities of technology, politics, and social change that informed historical vehicle development, it's hard to make futuristic vehicles which aren't bland and boring.

Also, by the turn of the 21st century, locomotive stats have reached the point where further increases in power or traction become meaningless at TTD scale - unless you have a wholesale paradigm shift like maglev. I think the game is most interesting when trains of different speeds, powers and acceleration are mixing on one network, so the 20th century is definitely where I want to keep the focus.

I do have a few 21st century vehicles - mainly passenger train sets like the Voyager and Javelin - planned out. But they're really there because I know people familiar with those trains would like to see them, rather than because I think they'll be good for gameplay.
CMircea
Chairman
Chairman

Post by CMircea »

PikkaBird wrote:All depends how big the houses are, doesn't it? ;)
Sure. I take it you're planning a town set as well?

Return to “Graphics Development”